Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Winterizing hho water w/ Alcohol
bpdistributing Offline

Winterizing hho water w/ Alcohol
It should drop below freezing tonight in Albuquerque. The manufacturer says to add isopropyl alcohol as an antifreeze in my hho system.

Does anyone know if grain alcohol can be substituted instead?--such as Everclear which is 95% distilled alcohol instead of denatured...I do my best to avoid isopropyl alcohol in my household because it is petroleum derived and is purportedly toxic or bioaccumulative in mammals according to some health professionals.
11-11-2012 04:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpdistributing Offline

RE: Winterizing hho water w/ Alcohol
Can grain alcohol be substituted instead?--such as Everclear?

fyi, I found an answer @:http://www.hho4free.com/cold_weather.htm

Apparently Everclear is preferable to isopropyl alcohol.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 10:17 AM by bpdistributing.)
11-12-2012 10:13 AM
mike Offline

Post your results with the Everclear. All of my testing with any kind of alcohol showed very poor HHO production, and I have also seen the gummy plates talked about in that post.

If Everclear actually works over a period of time, I would like to hear about it. The only reliable electrolyte I have found has been more KOH and a PWM to control the amps.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2012 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpdistributing Offline

Ya Mike, I can see a drop in amperage after adding just 350 ml of Everclear to make a weak 13% alcohol antifreeze solution in the distilled-water- electrolyte.

How else do you recommend winterizing the hho system besides or instead of adding alcohol and pipe insulation?
11-12-2012 02:01 PM
mike Offline

Thank you.

But that doesn't mean it won't work. You should add KOH when you add the Everclear. The Everclear thins out your mix as far as electrolyte goes, so you have to add a proportionate amount of KOH to the amount of alcohol you added.

But the problem is, in my experience with a number of other alcohols, is that even when you add the KOH, the production still drops out the bottom after a very short time.

Please try adding KOH, and then post your results again.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2012 02:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpdistributing Offline

O.k. Mike. Will do, thx.
11-12-2012 02:41 PM
mike Offline

I forgot to mention in the last post: I think that web site that recommended the Everclear is pretty legit. If they say it works, I think it's worth testing out.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2012 05:03 PM
bpdistributing Offline

O.k. Mike,

Talked to David at http://www.hho4free.com/help.htm
and told him about the browning of my hho water after using Everclear per his suggestion on the website. It used to read that Everclear is best among alcohols for winterizing--until a few minutes ago. Don't know how he surmised this but he wrote me to say that he has gone ahead and changed that statement to read: "Isopropyl Alcohol is probably the best to use. It will not turn your plates brown, but high concentrations will melt some plastics and make others brittle."

I don't know if brown water will hurt anything? Should I flush it and use isopropyl?
11-13-2012 11:02 AM
mike Offline

I've tried isopropyl. The cell won't maintain current. Even if you add KOH, it just doesn't run right anymore after that.

I was hoping the Everclear would pan out. At least we'd have a solution for the problem.

I'll have to stick with my earlier findings: Use more KOH and get a good constant current PWM to deal with the current flow. A saturated mix of KOH will not freeze until -40C (also happens to be -40F).

Visit Our Documents Page
11-13-2012 11:15 AM
bpdistributing Offline

Copy that. Which PWM do you recommend and where do you source it?
11-13-2012 11:25 AM