Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Won't change gears
mangomills Offline

Question Won't change gears
I recently installed a single efie for a 2000 Jeep grand cherokee. I have a 2-jar HHO system and a map enhancer already working. Since I installed the efie my car won't shift out of 1st gear now?!

My voltage at the sensor's output is 0.40 volts. The efie offset shows 4.32 volts. The computer receiving voltage is 4.72. Is there a possiblity of a bad sensor or bad efie? Could I have hooked into an incorrect wire?

Anybody have any ideas as to the possible culprit?
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2008 03:08 PM by mangomills.)
06-04-2008 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qsiguy Offline

RE: Won't change gears
Where did you tap into your O2 sensor? If you have the correct wire then I'd say most likely you've inadvertently disconnected or dislodged another circuit or sensor. Newer vehicles reverence the throttle position sensor, RPM, and several other sensors depending on the vehicle to operate the transmission. Retrace your steps and look for any plugs or harnesses you may have moved or disconnected.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-04-2008 01:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mangomills Offline

The car switches gears soon after I unplug the efie, on the fly.

Everything else seems to be operating normal.
06-04-2008 03:13 PM
colchiro Offline

4.32 volts is too much. It shouldn't be more than .5 volts. Recheck your wiring.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-04-2008 03:19 PM
qsiguy Offline

Oh sheesh, I didn't even see the voltage numbers. Guess I need to pay more attention to posts I answer. You definitely have the wrong wire if you are seeing that voltage and the car won't shift when the EFIE is on. If you were on the O2 wire and managed to get it offset by that much it's doubtful the car would even start/run.

06-04-2008 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Yes, definitely wrong wire. Go back to the online instructions and re-read the section for finding the signal wire. As soon as you get the right wire, you'll be fine.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-04-2008 07:13 PM
mangomills Offline

Shy RE: Won't change gears
Yeah, it was the wrong wire!!!
Duh. I followed it to the computer and pulled out what I thought was the only light green wire with red stripe but now after a deeper investigation, I found that there are two of the same color.
Problem solved.

One final question: What makes the car run leaner, a higher voltage or a lower voltage?

Thanks everyone.
06-05-2008 11:16 AM
qsiguy Offline

When the ECU sees a higher voltage it assumes a rich condition and will lean out the injectors to maintain what it thinks is 14.7:1 AFR. The EFIE adds voltage to the O2 sensors signal to the ECU to make this happen.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2008 12:46 PM by qsiguy.)
06-05-2008 12:46 PM
colchiro Offline

I higher voltage on the EFIE will lean your mix.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-05-2008 03:45 PM