Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World's First Switchplate Dry Cell
Gary Offline

World's First Switchplate Dry Cell
Well, it is as far as I know...! Between jobs and tight, I got to looking at all the crap laying around and ...Voila!...a free generator!
I'm going to use it for the hydrogen torch I built.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-11-2008 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hydrotinkerer Offline

RE: World's First Switchplate Dry Cell
Not knowing anything about a hydrogen torch, You used a syringe needle for the tip. When lit doesn't it affect the plastic collar?
12-11-2008 07:01 PM
tonyc860 Offline

Gary Wrote:Well, it is as far as I know...! Between jobs and tight, I got to looking at all the crap laying around and ...Voila!...a free generator!

gary

looks great, i have about 100 of these plates from the past, i was thinking of making a dry cell out of them. did you test output yet?

Tony
2003 Volvo v70 2.5L turbo
2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L v6
2005 F150 4.6 ltr-No longer Thank God!Smile
12-11-2008 07:22 PM
daddymikey1975 Offline

Gary Wrote:Well, it is as far as I know...! Between jobs and tight, I got to looking at all the crap laying around and ...Voila!...a free generator!

not to rain on your parade gary, but Painless plays on HHOforums dot com and has built a lowes plate dry cell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrovCAzg_kY

couldn't get it to embed the video, sorry.

mike
12-11-2008 07:27 PM
Gary Offline

Well, as I said "as far as I know". I just did it today. I never used the plates because they were crap from Lowe's - ferrous metal.
From what I know of properties of hydrogen, the tip could be held in your hand while lit, even the needle. It only heats what it touches; the only gas in the world that does that.
There was a commercial I saw once about a guy who built a hot water heater that had a PIECE OF PVC for the burner! It used hydrogen for fuel.
as for the unit...actually, I figured someone somewhere would have built one by now. Catchy title tho, huh?
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 07:43 PM by Gary.)
12-11-2008 07:43 PM
colchiro Offline

I remember something about a switch plate dry cell months ago. Maybe it was a video, I don't recall.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-11-2008 08:13 PM
ghahai ghato Offline

Awesome one there Gary... cool & cute!!! I love it...

Watch out on the size of the syringe needle size there man. I had a bad experience cracking up my cell due to pressure buildup. I couldn't remember the size of the needle other than it was for insulin injection... real tiny. I was running at 10 amps appox 800ml/min...

Good Luck!!! Have fun....
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 03:56 AM by ghahai ghato.)
12-12-2008 03:55 AM
benny Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:Awesome one there Gary... cool & cute!!! I love it...

Watch out on the size of the syringe needle size there man. I had a bad experience cracking up my cell due to pressure buildup. I couldn't remember the size of the needle other than it was for insulin injection... real tiny. I was running at 10 amps appox 800ml/min...

Good Luck!!! Have fun....

Might be a good idea to incorporate a pressure cut-off switch, and maybe a pressure relief valve, in your design. Safety first, then you can have all the fun you want.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 04:43 AM by benny.)
12-12-2008 04:42 AM
Gary Offline

i got the needle sizes from a link in here to some Hydroxy something or other unit that also sold torches. I used a 21 or 23g needle for hormone injections (not me) which is smaller than their torch size but compatible with the soldering unit, my objective here. Once you hit 17g and larger, you're out of the soldering range, and I want to try this on a circuit board.
Progression as I see it will be as follows, it's just common sense:
Double-sided, double fed, double exhausted unit for consistent flow. Done.
Reservoir-bubbler tank built to handle 5 psi. PVC and plexi should suffice.
Home-design adjustable pressure relief valve with shunting hose atop tank.
Blowout cap atop tank with vinyl diaphragm.
Low pressure gauge atop tank.
Hose and torch.
Procedure:
1.) open pressure relief valve and start unit. (temporary 9v battery is used to activate charger then removed)
2.) put torch with valve opened into water glass to show output.
3.) adjust torch valve and pressure relief valve until output is satisfactorily LOW, not high. Most gas should be shunting out relief tube.
4.) fire that mutha up, add flame as needed with torch valve. If flame does not increase, tighten pressure relief valve. If flame still does not increase, change to larger needle size.
This is what I've figured out on my own: let me know if I missed anything. I've never actually SEEN a hydrogen or BG torch except for a picture of the torch itself...and it isn't like mine, made from a bottled gas head. I may test it later for output, but it's really overkill for this application I think. I think it could do nearly a litre. Let's see, 4" x 2-1/8" = 4 x 2.125= 8.5" per plate x 2 sides = 17 amps capability? My single sided 6-cell does a litre at 12 amps, so this is my reasoning. I wouldn't expect it to do better. But it might.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 06:02 AM by Gary.)
12-12-2008 05:52 AM
DodgeViper Offline

Gary,

I saw a HHO torch and the tip on the torch was .023 tip from a mig welder. Much larger than what your using.

Torch

[Image: Hydrogen%20Powered.jpg]
2002 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Ram
4.7L EFI
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 08:22 AM by DodgeViper.)
12-12-2008 08:02 AM