Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worried about blowing myself up...
1=2 Offline

Worried about blowing myself up...
It's doubting Thomas back,

I got a truck (Ford) and it's sitting in the driveway now. It doesn't start under it's own power at the moment, but that'll be soon remedied. Anyway, I was doing some research (I forget the place), and was reading about vapor systems. I have a design that I plan to start building that makes use of injecting vapor into the engine, as it should be a lot easier because it's a carbed engine.

Anyway, I am worried about blowing myself up on two accounts.

One is the HHO generator and hear about people blowing them up. I just want to know the compatibility with a 6v electrical system, as the truck I have, runs on that voltage. If that doesn't matter, then, I wont worry.

And two, I was thinking of a making my own vapor system and having (essentially) a tube blowing the vaporized gas into the intake in place of the carburetor. Problem is, is that I am wondering if it's common for some reason or another that detonation occurs in the intake manifold, causing a potential explosion. Odd question I know, but I don't want to start fooling around and end up in a pile of ashes next to my black truck.

Thanks all.
01-23-2009 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: Worried about blowing myself up...
(01-23-2009 07:38 PM)1=2 Wrote:  It's doubting Thomas back,

I got a truck (Ford) and it's sitting in the driveway now. It doesn't start under it's own power at the moment, but that'll be soon remedied. Anyway, I was doing some research (I forget the place), and was reading about vapor systems. I have a design that I plan to start building that makes use of injecting vapor into the engine, as it should be a lot easier because it's a carbed engine.

Anyway, I am worried about blowing myself up on two accounts.

One is the HHO generator and hear about people blowing them up. I just want to know the compatibility with a 6v electrical system, as the truck I have, runs on that voltage. If that doesn't matter, then, I wont worry.

And two, I was thinking of a making my own vapor system and having (essentially) a tube blowing the vaporized gas into the intake in place of the carburetor. Problem is, is that I am wondering if it's common for some reason or another that detonation occurs in the intake manifold, causing a potential explosion. Odd question I know, but I don't want to start fooling around and end up in a pile of ashes next to my black truck.

Thanks all.

From one Doubting Thomas to Another:

6 volts doesn't matter; just keep sparks, flames, any other ignition source away from HHO, or, contain the explosion, i.e. a bubbler. The vapor system interests me tremendously. In the '60's a major oil company, I forgot which, sponsored mpg contests. The winners got unbelievable results using vapor systems[there's a post on this board about a motorcycle getting in excess of 100 mpg due to a mistake in rebuilding a carb which turned the bike into a "vapor" system]. Combustion takes two; just like reproduction. If you've got a manifold full of gasoline vapors with no O2 or NO or other oxidizer, no worry because without an oxidizer, or other element to combine with, like chlorine[ god forbid] no combustion. Problem is folks don't realize how little air it takes to make gasoline vapors explosive. BTW ounce for ounce, when mixed with the correct ratio of O2, gasoline is just as explosive as trinitroglycerine.
01-23-2009 08:25 PM
gtkco Offline

Hi 1=2,
No that is not a stupid question and yes this stuff is dangerous. Since you are starting out, I think this will be very helpful reading.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter10.pdf

I recommend you read the Smacks section. Even though this is older technology and you probably will not build this model, the instructions and pictures are very good and it will teach you a lot of the concepts and basics. That's 10-1 to 10-27.

What most are now turning to are called "dry cells". They are the most efficient and relatively easy to build. They have added a sec in this file as well. I haven't read it fully but at first glance it seems informative enough to get you started with building a dry cell. See sec 10-37 to 10-53. If you go down this route, you'll probably end up reading the whole chapter any how. Hope this helps.
01-24-2009 09:58 AM
1=2 Offline

Thanks for the info and thanks for the suggestions on the articles. So, referring to other doubting Thomas's quote "People don't realize how little air it takes to make gasoline vapors explosive.." then, I don't need a lot of air flow do I? I mean, it sounds like "Duh.", but from what it sounds like, I wont need anything like a supercharger to add more air if I was wanting to make this system somewhat powerful, because, the required air is much less right?

Also, then does that mean that it's really dangerous to have an air and vapor mixture flowing through the intake manifold? Or does that mean that ounce for ounce that gasoline vapors and O2 pack the same punch as nitro when detonated. I know that plain nitroglycerine can be set off by a pin dropping on it, but I am wondering if you meant that the mixture of gas vapors and air are just as volatile, or just as powerful.
01-24-2009 10:20 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-24-2009 10:20 PM)1=2 Wrote:  Thanks for the info and thanks for the suggestions on the articles. So, referring to other doubting Thomas's quote "People don't realize how little air it takes to make gasoline vapors explosive.." then, I don't need a lot of air flow do I?
I'm talking about sheer explosive power, not volatility. I should have also added that the reverse of not much air is needed to make gasoline explosive is also true; which is, that it doesn't take that much gasoline mixed with air to make an explosive mixture. In any event it's probably an apples and oranges comparison between gasoline and trinitroglycerine, but for the fact that gasoline can be just as explosive.

As far as an air and vapor mix going through your manifold same used to be true with carburated vehicles and throttle body injection systems. Not so with port injection. Realize that the ICE is only about 18% efficient. I've heard that 50% of your gasoline is burned in your engine and the other 50% in your catalytic converter. Right off the bat I don't know the ideal ratio of air and gasoline to get the biggest bang for your buck but in a carburated maniford it's no where near that ratio, mainly for the reason that the mixture is compressed on the upstroak before detonation.
01-25-2009 01:31 AM