Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wrapping O2S with foil Does it work?
OldGeek Offline

Wrapping O2S with foil Does it work?
Hi, I’m a 69 yr old newbie that needs a little input, please.

I have been using acetone/xylene as a mileage additive for many years without any problems.

Until about 3 months ago I was driving a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan V6 and getting 26 mpg city. Then one rainy morning a young lady, late for work, ran a stop sign and T-Boned me, totaling my van.

I have since replaced the van with a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L. Nice little jeep without a scratch or worn spot anywhere on it. Downside is that it was only getting 14 mpg city. So…… I went through my usual procedures of filling the tank, adding 3 oz acetone and 2 oz xylene per each 10 gal of gas and then reset the adaptive memory to achieve a new base line. As I drove from the station the console Average MPG was moving up quickly and had reached 23 mpg by the time I arrived home.

The good mileage lasted about 3 days and then one cold morning; it went in the toilet and dropped back to 14 mpg. Guess the ECU just don’t like me. lol

I really don’t want to have to reset my adaptive memory every 3 days and after reading the document “Tuning For Mileage” I will build a MAP enhancer to see if that will correct this problem. I will also address the other sensors i.e. CTS, IAT and O2S. This shouldn’t pose a problem except for the O2S, which I really don’t want to drop $99 on an EFIE if I don’t have to.

I have read that wrapping the O2 sensors with aluminum foil and tie it down with copper wire will fool the sensor into thinking the AFR is too rich. Before buying an EFIE, I would like to try this to see if it works. But, if it’s not going to work, there is no sense in wasting my time.

Has anyone out there used Foil to wrap the O2 sensors and does it work????

Thanks,
OldGeek
02-12-2012 08:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Wrapping O2S with foil Does it work?
Tin foil and o2 extenders don't work. People have been talking about them for 5 years (that I know of), but they never have worked, and never will.

However, you can get a cheaper EFIE here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/analog-efie...uit-boards . Once you figure out what works best for you, please post your successful actions.

Good luck.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 01:03 PM by mike.)
02-12-2012 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldGeek Offline

Thanks, Mike, that’s what I was looking for.. I have a long background in electronics and computers and my first thoughts were “Snake Oil” even though my background is NOT in automotive computers.

My second thought was maybe those for whom it didn’t work were not addressing the other sensors that play a role in the AFR and their computer was going into an open circuit loop. I thought that due to the fact that no one ever talked about addressing the other sensors.

40 years ago I would have buried myself into it and found out why it did or didn’t work. I’ll be 70 in May and I’m not going down that road again. Lol

I’ll be ordering an EFIE soon and will let you know the outcome….

Thanks,
OldGeek
02-12-2012 03:15 PM
OldGeek Offline

Hey Mike,

One more question, please..

I was about to order the cheaper EFIE when my old memory poked me..
I had the following in my notes:

"This is a subject that has been rearing its ugly head more and more over the last few months. We have found that a number of manufacturers are using the downstream oxygen sensors as part of their air/fuel ratio calculations. Manufacturers that have documented this are: Dodge/Chrysler, Jeep and Honda, but this is not intended to be a complete list. The vehicles we have seen where this has been done have been model year 2001 and forward."

Don’t remember where I got it, but that’s why I was looking at the $99 Quad EFIE.

Will the cheaper EFIE work on my 05 Jeep or do I need the Quad???

OldGeek
02-12-2012 06:11 PM