Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your details match those of a known spammer...
mike Offline

Your details match those of a known spammer...
We were getting a lot of spammers on the site - automatic bots were signing up and then automatically posting off topic spam advertising. I had to put in some spam filtering to keep the site on topic and useful for the forum members.

However, it occasionally happens that real users get caught by the spam filter. This is usually because of inheriting a spammers IP address, or perhaps because of a shared IP address, or something like that.

If you are trying to register on the site, and get a message that says, "Your details match those of a known spammer...", then there are a couple of remedies for the situation: First try registering again using a different username. If you use a username of a known spammer, then the system will think you're that guy. If that doesn't work, then go to this link: http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal . Give them your name, email and a short message, and they will take your name off the list.

I'm sorry for the occasional inconvenience this causes. But it has helped to keep the forum clean from spam. We still get the occasional spammer, and if you see one, you can press a button to automatically report on the post. I get those guys booted when they show up.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 01:51 PM by mike.)
02-08-2012 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
martinruf Offline

RE: Your details match those of a known spammer...
Thank you mike

Ford C-Max 1.8i flexfuel (petrol)
Victor-Tupperware-Cell
4x 5N at 1-2AMP
20% less Liter/100km
02-09-2012 04:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

You're welcome. Did you use that link? If so, was it quick and painless?

Visit Our Documents Page
02-09-2012 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
martinruf Offline

(02-09-2012 08:26 AM)mike Wrote:  You're welcome. Did you use that link? If so, was it quick and painless?
No, I was not happy about the many spammers messages.
Thank you, that you have done something about it.

Ford C-Max 1.8i flexfuel (petrol)
Victor-Tupperware-Cell
4x 5N at 1-2AMP
20% less Liter/100km
02-15-2012 01:40 AM
richkat Offline
richard

I wish OUPower could filter the same way , the spammers are getting out of control

Richard Auckland New Zealand
02-19-2012 10:23 PM
mike Offline

Send them the link to this site: http://www.stopforumspam.com . I don't know what forum software they use, but there is probably a module available that will use this forum's spammer database to weed em out.

I also had to add a module that prevents bots from registering. Between the 2 of them, they've knocked my spam down by about 95%. There are still the occasional humans that do it, but I ban them as they show up. Its starting to get OK to be here again... Smile

Visit Our Documents Page
02-21-2012 12:13 PM
Fingermouse Offline

I fell in to the bracket of "spam-matching", followed the process and was told this by the person who sorts it out on the other site:

"Hello,

Neither your IP or email are located in the stopforumspam.com database at the moment. The only data that is in the database is the username you are using. We are not able to remove your username (Blue) as usernames are easily disposed of and deleting the name would involve removing 37 full entries from the database of real spammers and it wouldn't be long until new entries are added with your chosen username.

We recommend either choosing a new username on the forum you are trying to sign up to or ask the forum administrator to remove username checks from their signup page. We don't recommend forum owners check the usernames of signups against our database as it does cause alot of false positives.

Many Thanks

Aaron Fowler"

So just picked a much different username and here I am.

So if you are having issues registering and wish to contribute in these forums, then have searched and found this thread - You may want to consider an alternative moniker!

F_M
09-19-2012 10:04 AM
mike Offline

Hey, thanks a lot. I hadn't heard that before. I'll update the post above that gives directions for handling this issue. Good job, and thanks for your persistence.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 01:47 PM by mike.)
09-19-2012 01:45 PM
masster Offline

Cool RE: Your details match those of a known spammer...
After some e-mail conversation with Mike (Re: Security plugin), he recommended reading this topic. So I went to stopforumspam site and checked my registration data against their database. Nothing came up.

So my only guess was the anti-spam plugin of this forum is either set too high (I understand why) or the same plugin is checking against other spam databases than stopforumspam. Either way... I was still out Sad

So then I tried a new browser, Ultrasurf (http://www.ultrasurf.us/), that has a special feature, it surfs anonimously, and bingo! I am here. I used the same registration data as the first time by the way.

Although I had to scratch my head for a while to register on this forum, I liked the challenge. As I said, I even understand why Mike had to use an overkill anti-spam solution and let's face it, if 'they' attacked this forum it is because 'they' are scared of well informed, intelligent people, that work anonymously in their garages, often forgetting to eat or sleep, having no money for new parts, yet living for their dream.

Today is today, only today. Tomorrow it will only be yesterday.
12-03-2012 08:54 PM
mike Offline

Good persistence!

If you are able to login using an anonymous browser, I have to think that the IP address was the culprit. Did you give stopforumspam your ip address?

That's the only thing I can think of that would explain the anonymous browser working, when your regular browser would not.

But I'm glad you're on the forum now. I still have your email and I was about to make an account for you from the admin facilities.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-04-2012 09:57 AM