Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ZFF's EFIE - low mV output????????
sixmenn Offline

ZFF's EFIE - low mV output????????
I made my second ever ZFF EFIE today. I used Zero's suggestions for updates such as the 7809 voltage regulator, the Triad transformer, and the 200K trimmer pot. I made a single EFIE. Just like my last ZFF EFIE build, my output on the bench only has a range of 16mV to 255mV. Any ideas why others claim a greater range while mine doesn’t?

If the polarity of the D1 transient diode is wrongly reversed, could that be responsible for this low output? I ask because I have viewed conflicting schematics regarding the polarity placement of this diode. I have been following Zero's schematic, but perhaps it's wrong??? (see ZFF's EFIE plans here: http://www.alt-nrg.org )

In one of his videos Zero talks about people having the problem that I’m having of the low voltages with the Triad. He suggests the remedy of using the 200K pots, and then he also mentions possibly removing the transient diode (if I’m remembering that right). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for any help!

1994 Camry 2.2L 4 cylinder
Smacks Booster
ZFF EFIE with 50 millivolt offset (still tuning)
IAT parallel 10K resistor
CTS parallel 3.9K resistor (removed for winter)
MAP sensor enhancer
Fuel pre-heater
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2008 06:59 PM by sixmenn.)
10-19-2008 06:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alpha-dog Offline

RE: ZFF's EFIE - low mV output????????
sixmenn Wrote:I made my second ever ZFF EFIE today. I used Zero's suggestions for updates such as the 7809 voltage regulator, the Triad transformer, and the 200K trimmer pot. I made a single EFIE. Just like my last ZFF EFIE build, my output on the bench only has a range of 16mV to 255mV. Any ideas why others claim a greater range while mine doesn’t?

If the polarity of the D1 transient diode is wrongly reversed, could that be responsible for this low output? I ask because I have viewed conflicting schematics regarding the polarity placement of this diode. I have been following Zero's schematic, but perhaps it's wrong??? (see ZFF's EFIE plans here: http://www.alt-nrg.org )

In one of his videos Zero talks about people having the problem that I’m having of the low voltages with the Triad. He suggests the remedy of using the 200K pots, and then he also mentions possibly removing the transient diode (if I’m remembering that right). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for any help!

Your doing this on the bench right. Do you have a referance voltage on your bridge. It looks like the offset comes from your o2 sensor input. At least thats what I'm hoping, I'll be building one of these tonight.
Russ
10-20-2008 12:36 PM
royco Offline

Sixmenn,

ZFF's Schematic is correct.

I think there are several things that might be causing this low voltage output.

1. Due to component tolerances, your oscillator might be detuned slightly. Altering C1 has the most pronounced effect on this. I know because I used a different transformer and had to change C1 to tune it. Try using 2 0.01uf in series in place of C1 and see what happens. In my transformer I ended up with 1000pf for C1.

2. In my prototypes, I have R1/R5 as 1K, you might want to try that also.

I havent tried removing D1, ill look it up under the scope and see what happens.

Again, i used a different transformer so the changes I made might not make a difference to yours, but theres no harm in trying.
10-21-2008 10:35 AM
mike Offline

To repeat: the diode is correct. ZFF's design is basically a re-do of George Wiseman's design, with the dual output transformer.

You can easily bump up the voltage of your circuit by doing 2 things:

1) Use the tlc version of the 555 timer, as in TLC555. They make them with a number of different suffix's, but get the one with the widest possible temperature range.

2) Add resistors across the timer's pins 6 & 7, and 7 & 8. Get the values and details from http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/Advance...esign.html .

You should get enough voltage from just the 2 resistors. But using the TLC version of the timer will give you a more stable voltage too.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2009 10:42 AM by mike.)
10-21-2008 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sixmenn Offline

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions, Mike. However, I couldn't get the link you included in your reply to work. Here is what it says when I click on it:

404 Not Found

The requested URL does not exist.

Hope that helps to resolve it.

mike Wrote:To repeat: the diode is correct. ZFF's design is basically a re-do of George Wiseman's design, with the dual output transformer.

You can easily bump up the voltage of your circuit by doing 2 things:

1) Use the tlc version of the 555 timer, as in TLC555. They make them with a number of different suffix's, but get the one with the widest possible temperature range.

2) Add resistors across the timer's pins 6 & 7, and 7 & 8. Get the values and details from http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/Advance...esign.html .

You should get enough voltage from just the 2 resistors. But using the TLC version of the timer will give you a more stable voltage too.

1994 Camry 2.2L 4 cylinder
Smacks Booster
ZFF EFIE with 50 millivolt offset (still tuning)
IAT parallel 10K resistor
CTS parallel 3.9K resistor (removed for winter)
MAP sensor enhancer
Fuel pre-heater
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 08:39 AM by mike.)
10-27-2008 11:04 AM
mike Offline

Oops. Sorry. Try this one:

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/Advance...esign.html

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-31-2008 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply