Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
air powered cell
mjak Offline

air powered cell
Hello, I've been looking at this technology for fuel efficiency purposes, and in my reading I came across some statements about the alternator being too big a load on the engine to really get much better efficiency. I had the thought of using a wind turbine attached to a small electric generator to power your hho generator. This setup would take the load off of the alternator at highway speeds, prehaps it could also send air past the cell to cool it (assuming this is in the engine compartment)

Now I may be totally off base and this idea completely unworkable. If it is, could someone explain why? I am admittedly not clear on how all this works, so please critique my idea. I love learning... lol

Manny
07-10-2008 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevekos7 Offline

RE: air powered cell
mjak Wrote:Hello, I've been looking at this technology for fuel efficiency purposes, and in my reading I came across some statements about the alternator being too big a load on the engine to really get much better efficiency. I had the thought of using a wind turbine attached to a small electric generator to power your hho generator. This setup would take the load off of the alternator at highway speeds, prehaps it could also send air past the cell to cool it (assuming this is in the engine compartment)

Now I may be totally off base and this idea completely unworkable. If it is, could someone explain why? I am admittedly not clear on how all this works, so please critique my idea. I love learning... lol

Manny

As I figure it, the wind resistance of the wind turbine might counteract the gains from the HHO, but this might depend on the efficiency of the design. It might not be more than the extra drag on the alternator to generate the amperage needed to run the HHO generator, but why would you want to do this when most vehicles have a 'spare' 50-100 amps available with the alternator anyway?
07-11-2008 12:17 AM
Atfab Offline

RE: air powered cell
From everything I have read, anything over 20 amps and you start to backup again. Yes there a folks out there saying their cell pulls 30, 40 amps, I hope they are getting a ton of HHO for it and are actually using it all.

I don't believe you can get an efficient enough turbine to justify the air drag. Heck a set of vent shades can cost you 1-2 MPG.

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
07-11-2008 01:55 AM