Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
amps used by gen.
Lyle Offline

Rolleyes amps used by gen.
I have 2 one quart gen. connected in parallel with 2 live plates and 3 neutral plates. I am using baking soda (1 tsp/qt ) , but I can only get this setup to draw 6 amps even if connected directly to battery.
shouldn't it draw more than this?
06-18-2008 05:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dino Offline

RE: amps used by gen.
Yeah I would think, can you post a picture of the setup of the HHO generator.
06-18-2008 05:46 AM
syncromon Offline

I had a similar problem when running cells wired in series (6V), I had to put a ton of baking soda in to get it up to 7 amps...when I wired them in parallel and back up to 12V it pegged my amp gauge! (I had do seriously dilute the electrolyte).

Lyle Wrote:I have 2 one quart gen. connected in parallel with 2 live plates and 3 neutral plates. I am using baking soda (1 tsp/qt ) , but I can only get this setup to draw 6 amps even if connected directly to battery.
06-18-2008 07:57 AM
qsiguy Offline

25% by weight of lye (sodium hydroxide) is typical concentration for a series cell. If you do that in a parallel cell you are right it could smoke something! I would try NaOH/ lye/sodium hydroxide instead of baking soda and compare the results. In my experience, and of others, the NaOH does better. Just be careful handling it.

If you go with 25% by weight you will need approx. 8 oz (weight) of NaOH to 32 fl oz of water (1 quart). Water weighs 1.043 oz per 1 fluid oz.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-18-2008 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

How big are your plates, and what is the spacing between them? I will also add that NaOH is MUCH better than baking soda.

Lyle Wrote:I have 2 one quart gen. connected in parallel with 2 live plates and 3 neutral plates. I am using baking soda (1 tsp/qt ) , but I can only get this setup to draw 6 amps even if connected directly to battery.
06-18-2008 12:33 PM
Lyle Offline

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. I WILL TRY THE NaOH. I AM USING ELECTRIC BOX COVERS AT I/16 " SPACING.
06-19-2008 11:28 AM
qsiguy Offline

Spacing that close can reduce performance and amps if the bubbles get trapped between the plates. I suggest about 1/8" as the closest spacing.

If your electrolyte is warm and you are only at 6 amps you are ok to increase the concentration of the electrolyte to bring up the amps. Take it a little at a time and remember as it heats up the amps will rise as the temp increases. You want it hot but not too hot, try to keep it at 160* or under. If it gets to around 150*F and then shoots up to 200*+ along with the amps you have an inefficient generator setup and should redesign it.

P.S. YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL! LOL

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008 12:33 PM by qsiguy.)
06-19-2008 12:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply