Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
baking soda or not?
basketthis69 Offline

baking soda or not?
I am reading in some places that one should add baking soda, then I read the Smack kit instructions and it says to not add baking soda. Anyone have any experience with this and figure out what one should actually do?
06-19-2008 06:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: baking soda or not?
Definitely do NOT use baking soda. The carbon that is in it will react with the SS, corroding it and gunking up the electrolyte while at the same time giving off carbon monoxide gas. When that chemical transformation is finished you will have sodium hydroxide (no longer baking soda). So, sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) are the way to go. They are stable and don't react in a negative way when put under electrolysis.

I understand the confusion because when I first got interested in hydroxy gas I was so misled by those who claimed that KOH was so harmful, etc.
However, these people don't understand what is actually happening to the baking soda that they are using. Enough said.

These threads may help:

http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=329
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...81&page=21

basketthis69 Wrote:I am reading in some places that one should add baking soda, then I read the Smack kit instructions and it says to not add baking soda. Anyone have any experience with this and figure out what one should actually do?
06-19-2008 11:03 AM
Dino Offline

The KOH isn't corrosive? It just gets me nervous using a drain cleaner in my car.
06-19-2008 03:20 PM
Dino Offline

Never mind I read your links the bubblier should take care of those issues.
06-19-2008 03:29 PM
hydrodine Offline

KOH is not drain cleaner, I only use koh, gives best gas production and is not used up and build up like baking soda.
06-20-2008 03:59 PM
Dino Offline

hydrodine Wrote:KOH is not drain cleaner, I only use koh, gives best gas production and is not used up and build up like baking soda.

Sure it is it's in Roebics drain cleaner and you can buy it at Loews a lot of guys on the forum use itSmile.
06-20-2008 08:06 PM
jksav7 Offline

You're referring to Lye (sodium hydroxide/NaOH). It's pretty much just as good as KOH to use in electrolysis.

Dino Wrote:Sure it is it's in Roebics drain cleaner and you can buy it at Loews a lot of guys on the forum use itSmile.
06-20-2008 09:14 PM
Dino Offline

Yeah that's it, I thought the KOH was the one in the drain cleaner but KOH is POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE and NaOH is SODIUM HYDROXIDE thanks for clearing that up for meSmile.

jksav7 Wrote:You're referring to Lye (sodium hydroxide/NaOH). It's pretty much just as good as KOH to use in electrolysis.

Dino Wrote:Sure it is it's in Roebics drain cleaner and you can buy it at Loews a lot of guys on the forum use itSmile.
06-21-2008 05:02 AM
CitatioN10 Offline

baking soda for use in a HHO Generator is worthless ,
06-21-2008 03:48 PM
sargearoo Offline

Has anyone had success using Sodium Hydroxide as an electrolyte without massive corrosion? I am using 316 stainless (better corrosion resistance than 304) and my solution turned dark brown within 45 minutes of testing. Anyone tried Potassium Hydroxide? I have some on order. Any other electrolytes that do not turn the solution brown and cause corrosion to the stainless steel?
07-26-2008 02:06 PM