Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
big diffrent to use distilled or de-jonised water?
jw1978 Offline

Exclamation big diffrent to use distilled or de-jonised water?
Cant find distilled water in Sweden anymore! How abote to run my cell whit batteriwater (de-jonised water) ? will it faster turn the elektrolyte muddy faster?

I´m condition my cell whit de-jonised water right now @ 2,5-3amps and repeate every 30min and have replace water 4 times now and need to do it acouple of time more (use NaHo) have sanded the plates whit really fine papper (1200k) which ofcource turns it more muddy..

Plan to run longer periodes of condition soon, now when the worst mudd is gone 5-24h @ 2,5-3amps..

But what do you guys think abote using de-jonised water will it turn the water brown faster?

thanks!
11-25-2010 03:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: big diffrent to use distilled or de-jonised water?
No. But I think your plates will end up with deposits on them that will eventually block the flow of current. Your cell will produce less and less HHO as time goes on.

You need distilled water. I'm sure its available. Its needed for many purposes, including in irons. How is your wife going to press her blouse? We usually get ours in the grocery store.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-25-2010 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jw1978 Offline

Not even bigger supplier sell distilled water any more her in Sweden, have call´d suppliers of cemicals and water for technical use, and they all say the same -we only sell de-jonised water..

How big differt in run time can it be??
11-25-2010 12:08 PM
jw1978 Offline

Well if we have any other users from Sweden here, I can say for sure that de-ionazed batteriwater from gasstation here in Sweden has the lowest qualite of DI water !

hm.. have some washing and sanding to do.. 32plates x 2 :/
11-29-2010 03:09 PM
mike Offline

I'm sorry. That's a fair amount of work. You can use some vinegar or other acid to make the work go faster. Just rinse it off well when you are done.

What do women use in their steam irons? These need distilled water for the same reason. Otherwise the inside of the iron gets coated with minerals. Also, check with a laundry service. They must have distilled water for their commercial steam irons. Maybe you can get it from them.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2010 01:15 AM by mike.)
11-30-2010 01:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jw1978 Offline

thanks mike nice tip...

To steam irons are also DI water the same as in the gasstations, I suspect they are the lowest in quality..

Have bought distilled now from the drugstore, bit expenstive from there.. I can get distilled water from companys how delivery water to labratories, bit even more expensive from them..

I have contact acouple more comapnys how sell distilled water (for companys)

I bevlive high quality DI water also work, but dont from the gasstations..

I have clean and sanded my plates again, but I have still in the "open por" some dirt in, do you think that will come up when i re-start med condition fase?

or maby put the plates in vinegar for a while and then wash them off, so that last dirt come off..?
11-30-2010 02:57 AM
Roland Jacques Offline

(11-25-2010 08:58 AM)mike Wrote:  No. But I think your plates will end up with deposits on them that will eventually block the flow of current. Your cell will produce less and less HHO as time goes on.

You need distilled water. I'm sure its available. Its needed for many purposes, including in irons. How is your wife going to press her blouse? We usually get ours in the grocery store.
For the record Deionized Water can give MUCH Purer water than Distilled water.

De-ionizing is a step in water purification, it is a step normally used after the water is distilled, or processed through a Reverses Osmosis system. Distilled and RO water gets the Total Dissolved Solids water down too 10-100 Parts Per Million. Typically then DI is used to get down to 0. PPM. Some grades of DI gets water down PPB or 18 Micro semiens which is as good as it gets. RODI water at 18 ms is used in Medical Laboratories, nuclear facilities and the like. (some commercial facilities use a lower grade DI and skip steps)

The problem is you don't know what your getting when buy ether water off the self. Ive seen bottled "distilled" water at 120 PPM down to 40 PPM of TDS. (Our tap water where i live is better than some bottled "distilled" water.)

You can buy a cheap TDS meter for about $20 and you will know what you have.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2010 10:01 AM by Roland Jacques.)
12-07-2010 09:45 AM
Paulusgnome Offline

If you can tolerate distilled water, one common household source is the domestic dehumidifier. The water that collects in the tank should be very low in TDS, depending of course on the environment that it is operating in.
12-07-2010 09:32 PM
jw1978 Offline

(12-07-2010 09:45 AM)Roland Jacques Wrote:  
(11-25-2010 08:58 AM)mike Wrote:  No. But I think your plates will end up with deposits on them that will eventually block the flow of current. Your cell will produce less and less HHO as time goes on.

For the record Deionized Water can give MUCH Purer water than Distilled water.

De-ionizing is a step in water purification, it is a step normally used after the water is distilled, or processed through a Reverses Osmosis system. Distilled and RO water gets the Total Dissolved Solids water down too 10-100 Parts Per Million. Typically then DI is used to get down to 0. PPM. Some grades of DI gets water down PPB or 18 Micro semiens which is as good as it gets. RODI water at 18 ms is used in Medical Laboratories, nuclear facilities and the like. (some commercial facilities use a lower grade DI and skip steps)

The problem is you don't know what your getting when buy ether water off the self. Ive seen bottled "distilled" water at 120 PPM down to 40 PPM of TDS. (Our tap water where i live is better than some bottled "distilled" water.)

You can buy a cheap TDS meter for about $20 and you will know what you have.

Thanks Roland for that rapport..

Yes, my problems is that i dont know how clean DI water i buy..

I plan to test diffrent suppliers of DI water in my simpel test-wetcell to see if any of them is pure enough..

Can you link to good TDS meter, when you have time over Smile

How abote the home distillers, do they do the work?
12-08-2010 01:56 AM
martinruf Offline

(12-07-2010 09:32 PM)Paulusgnome Wrote:  If you can tolerate distilled water, one common household source is the domestic dehumidifier. The water that collects in the tank should be very low in TDS, depending of course on the environment that it is operating in.

I need more KOH in water of the domestic dehumidifier, than in destilled water.

But I use water of the domestic dehumidifier in my wetcell, instead of buyed destilled water.

Ford C-Max 1.8i flexfuel (petrol)
Victor-Tupperware-Cell
4x 5N at 1-2AMP
20% less Liter/100km
12-08-2010 03:11 AM