Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
building a cell
raptorman Offline

building a cell
I am new to this and have been working on building a working cell for awhile now. I have made several different cells using different plate sizes, and number of plates. My latest is using 4 stainless plates 4 in.x 7.5 in. They are spaced by about 3mm. I am using Koah and distilled water. Before that is was 6 plates 1.75 x 6.00 in. I am just using rubbermade as a container and am sure it dosen't leak. (this is all bench testing) I cannot seem to get much past .25 lpm. I have changed my elecrolyte from just water all the way to very strong,(to the point of melting wiring.(do not have an amp gauge yet) but I slowed the engine on my truck when I hooked it up. I have come to the conclusion that I am missing somthing important. I am not above purchasing a pre-made setup, I just want to prove this to myself first. I have already ordered a scan gauge2 and enough efies for my car.(all of which was backordered). So I intend to see this through. What am I missing? Confused
06-16-2008 03:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: building a cell
How do you have the plates hooked up (wiring)?
06-16-2008 03:39 AM
raptorman Offline

jksav7 Wrote:How do you have the plates hooked up (wiring)?

The plates are + - + - on the 4 plate and - n n + n n - on the 7 plate.(I said 6 on my original) I also wanted to mention my temps went to 130 degrees in about 30 min. The 4 plate is an attempt to the copy the s-10 cell.
06-16-2008 04:28 AM
jksav7 Offline

Seems to me you should be able to make well over that .25 LPM. Are your connections good, and are your wires a heavy enough gauge?

raptorman Wrote:The plates are + - + - on the 4 plate and - n n + n n - on the 7 plate.(I said 6 on my original) I also wanted to mention my temps went to 130 degrees in about 30 min. The 4 plate is an attempt to the copy the s-10 cell.
06-16-2008 10:28 AM
raptorman Offline

jksav7 Wrote:Seems to me you should be able to make well over that .25 LPM. Are your connections good, and are your wires a heavy enough gauge?

raptorman Wrote:The plates are + - + - on the 4 plate and - n n + n n - on the 7 plate.(I said 6 on my original) I also wanted to mention my temps went to 130 degrees in about 30 min. The 4 plate is an attempt to the copy the s-10 cell.

I thought I should be able to generate more then .25 lpm myself.Wink I'm using 12 gauge stranded industrial wire. I am also using high grade ring connectors on 10-24 stainless steel studs. I cannot think of better components. I have crosshatch sanded,washed and handled everything to clean room standards. Do you think they need conditioning, will that help,or should be seeing better results already?
06-16-2008 10:39 AM