Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
check engine light
dpater47 Offline

check engine light
dpater47 Wrote:mike ,installed efie on my 2002 3.8 chrysler mini yesterday,got it set at what i thought was a good setting,about .250 and everything was fine allday yesterday.got in the car,drove a short distance and the engine light came on.reset it and it now sames to be fine and readings are the same as before.prior to installing the efie the light never came on.i know it had not warmed up before the light came on because i had only gone about 2 blocks.i let it run for appox 15 minutes after resetting and all sames well but can you give me an idea as to what caused the light to come on?

mike, i am still having a problem with the o2 even after dropping it down to .200.the code is po 135 and says :
P0135 --
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
Bank 1 Sensor Pending DTC (S) Detected During Current or Last Completed Driving
if i turn the efie off and reset the system and leave the efie off it seems to be ok. the efie was only set at .207 but my wife called this morning and said the check engine is back on,i am sure it will be the same code when i check it but i'll scan it when she get's home .any ideas? thanks
06-23-2008 05:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerronPerformance Offline

RE: check engine light
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
my guess is that you tapped the wrong line, that tells me that the heater function of the O2 is not working.

http://www.herronperformance.com
06-23-2008 05:33 AM
dpater47 Offline

HerronPerformance Wrote:Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
my guess is that you tapped the wrong line, that tells me that the heater function of the O2 is not working.
i will double check to be sure but i am sure it's right according to the wireing chart.the voltage seems right and when the efie is shut off it goes to zero.i'll check and report back.

one more thing the light does not come on sometimes for a day or 2 and once i reset it ,may not come back on for the day or 2.it is not a stay on all the time thing.that's why i am so confused and i also don't think it's wired wrong.but i'll take your advice and re-check. thanks
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2008 06:23 AM by dpater47.)
06-23-2008 05:49 AM
dpater47 Offline

dpater47 Wrote:
HerronPerformance Wrote:Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
i will double check to be sure but i am sure it's right according to the wireing chart.the voltage seems right and when the efie is shut off it goes to zero.i'll check and report back.

one more thing the light does not come on sometimes for a day or 2 and once i reset it ,may not come back on for the day or 2.it is not a stay on all the time thing.that's why i am so confused and i also don't think it's wired wrong.but i'll take your advice and re-check. thanks
ok,i rechecked the wireing and it is connected right,it's fluctuating between 0 and 1 volt like it should.reset the computer and the light is out again.
so , if anyone has any ideas ,i am listening.it will be a day or two but it will come back on i think.i'll report back.
06-23-2008 11:23 AM
mike Offline

I just don't see how the EFIE can cause a heater malfunction unless you've somehow got the heater connected to the EFIE in some way. Please let me know how your next test goes.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-25-2008 12:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dpater47 Offline

mike Wrote:I just don't see how the EFIE can cause a heater malfunction unless you've somehow got the heater connected to the EFIE in some way. Please let me know how your next test goes.
i said the same thing but i checked anyway but it is connected right.i did reset the efie and drove it until yesterday and the light came on at .200.and again at .225.having.thinking maybe it would work better at the higher end i reset it and adjusted it to .350 and my wife called and said it came on again after about 3 miles.
mike , if you have any ideas i'll listen but other wise i am taking it off and chalk it up.as i said before if i shut the efie off the light does not come on,so i have to believe either the efie has a malfuction or i 've got something wrong.i got the wiring info from adholand i know the way i hooked it up is right.thanks for the reply
06-25-2008 03:07 AM
mike Offline

I don't think the EFIE is malfunctioning from what you've said so far, but if you're that close to dumping the project, I'd like you to return it so I can test it thoroughly and make sure that's really true. I have a setup to test it over time, so I can observe that it's staying in range.

I do have service issues from time to time on EFIEs. I've sold thousands now, and the number that go bad is pretty tiny. But it happens. Let's make sure in your case. Send me a PM if you want to set this up.

Now it has occurred often enough that it bears mention, that an oxygen sensor that is on the verge of going bad will exhibit problems when an EFIE is installed and not when the EFIE is off. The real trouble is that the sensor is on the way out, and adding the little bit of voltage to the barely functioning sensor's voltage causes it to throw an engine light. It might be throwing good money after bad, but you should be able to get a new sensor for about $40. If you have over 100,000 miles, you should probably replace it (them) anyway.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-26-2008 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dpater47 Offline

mike Wrote:I don't think the EFIE is malfunctioning from what you've said so far, but if you're that close to dumping the project, I'd like you to return it so I can test it thoroughly and make sure that's really true. I have a setup to test it over time, so I can observe that it's staying in range.

I do have service issues from time to time on EFIEs. I've sold thousands now, and the number that go bad is pretty tiny. But it happens. Let's make sure in your case. Send me a PM if you want to set this up.

Now it has occurred often enough that it bears mention, that an oxygen sensor that is on the verge of going bad will exhibit problems when an EFIE is installed and not when the EFIE is off. The real trouble is that the sensor is on the way out, and adding the little bit of voltage to the barely functioning sensor's voltage causes it to throw an engine light. It might be throwing good money after bad, but you should be able to get a new sensor for about $40. If you have over 100,000 miles, you should probably replace it (them) anyway.
mike ,the sensor was replaced about 1 yr ago and it has less then 100k but i am thinking about replacing it again just for gp and re-try the efie.if it kicks the light again will you then replace it? and as i said before the only other thing i can do before i replace the sensor is to try another efie,i have no singles but i have 2 friends with 5 duals can i use just one side without a problem?thanks for the reply.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2008 02:45 AM by dpater47.)
06-27-2008 02:43 AM
rebel Offline

Hi,
Don't know if this will help or not as I had a similar problem with the light coming on at various settings of the EFIE. I solved my problem by pulling the fuse on the ECM for about 15 minutes, then replacing it.

Do not start the engine, but set your EFIE ( or other device) to whatever voltage you want with the ignition turned on. Now start your engine and see what happens. I figured that if I did it like this, then the computer would have to "learn" this new setting and it would not cause problems and it worked, have not had any lights turn on since. I was told this procedure should be used whenever any changes are made to the various sensors, so that the computer gets rid of previous information and starts to learn the new settings.

It may or may not work for others, but it does on my 2003 Chevy Venture.
06-27-2008 08:44 AM
dpater47 Offline

rebel Wrote:Hi,
Don't know if this will help or not as I had a similar problem with the light coming on at various settings of the EFIE. I solved my problem by pulling the fuse on the ECM for about 15 minutes, then replacing it.

Do not start the engine, but set your EFIE ( or other device) to whatever voltage you want with the ignition turned on. Now start your engine and see what happens. I figured that if I did it like this, then the computer would have to "learn" this new setting and it would not cause problems and it worked, have not had any lights turn on since. I was told this procedure should be used whenever any changes are made to the various sensors, so that the computer gets rid of previous information and starts to learn the new settings.

It may or may not work for others, but it does on my 2003 Chevy Venture.
thanks rebel,but i got tired of screwing with it and replaced the sensor.i looked up my bill and it was replaced a year ago,the guy that installed it said the efie burnt it up but he's full of it and i told him so.i said i am paying for it ,just replace it.after he was finished he said,quote "i ran my mouth about something i know nothing about,iam going to read up on this and learn more,sorry.no charge!!

pretty good deal for me.but back to the point,i'll let you know in a day or 2 if the light stay's off.i sure hope it does and i again want to thank all for the help including mike for getting back to me.
06-28-2008 03:16 AM