Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
check valves and flame arresters
xomalley Offline

check valves and flame arresters
I'm seeing various systems that use flame arresters and check valves and bubblers. do we all understand correctly how to use them ?

1. "Fame arresters" (victor type) or SS wool located near the engine to prevent back fires these stop the flame by cooling it below ignition by passing it thru a wire mesh or screen ??

2. "check valve" at the reactor which is closed when producing gas and open to atmosphere when no pressure is produced--this is to prevent the vacuum caused by the cooling of the electrolyte from sucking the water out of the bubbler ?

3. "bubbler" acts as a scrubber to remove any Na/K OH that is carried by the gas and also acts as a backup flame arrestor.

It seems to me that we must use all three to achieve a safe HHO gas production ???
IF-- we don't use a flame arrester we could still cause a problem at the bubbler which is filled with gas ,not much, but still explosive.
IF ---we don't use a check valve at the reactor we will suck the water out of the bubbler and eventually over fill the reactor.
IF--- we don't use a bubbler/scrubber we could get electrolyte into the engine.

I think this plumbing should and needs to be discussed so everyone will understand and use it properly.
your suggestions are welcomed

Good luck to all
Chris
06-07-2008 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BroBob1 Offline

RE: check valves and flame arresters
Good Info, Thanks!Cool

xomalley Wrote:I'm seeing various systems that use flame arresters and check valves and bubblers. do we all understand correctly how to use them ?

1. "Fame arresters" (victor type) or SS wool located near the engine to prevent back fires these stop the flame by cooling it below ignition by passing it thru a wire mesh or screen ??

2. "check valve" at the reactor which is closed when producing gas and open to atmosphere when no pressure is produced--this is to prevent the vacuum caused by the cooling of the electrolyte from sucking the water out of the bubbler ?

3. "bubbler" acts as a scrubber to remove any Na/K OH that is carried by the gas and also acts as a backup flame arrestor.

It seems to me that we must use all three to achieve a safe HHO gas production ???
IF-- we don't use a flame arrester we could still cause a problem at the bubbler which is filled with gas ,not much, but still explosive.
IF ---we don't use a check valve at the reactor we will suck the water out of the bubbler and eventually over fill the reactor.

I think this plumbing should and needs to be discussed so everyone will understand and use it properly.

Good luck to all
Chris
06-07-2008 07:49 PM
Sartech Offline

RE: check valves and flame arresters
Flame arrestors/backfire preventers don't work with hydrogen. The flame speed is so fast that an arrestor can't stop it when propagating back up the line. A bubbler is the only way to prevent backfire to the generator completely.
Most generators aren't making enough volume to be of any great concern anyway, but, a bubbler is all that is necessary to prevent backfire.

BroBob1 Wrote:Good Info, Thanks!:cool:

xomalley Wrote:I'm seeing various systems that use flame arresters and check valves and bubblers. do we all understand correctly how to use them ?

Good luck to all
Chris
06-08-2008 05:21 AM