Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
colpitts osc
alpha-dog Offline

colpitts osc
After describing series and parrellel circuits in another thread I began thinking about resonant tank circuits. Two series cells connected together and a big iron core inductor accross it could make a colpitts oscillator. So if you shoot it with pulses from a pwm ( maybe 10 or 15% pulse width ) it might produce twice as much HHO. In my generators case +NNNN-NNNN+ and maybe a 4 or 5 inch piece of iron bar with 20 or 30 maybe 40 turns of 14 gauge solid conductor wire attached to both positive terminals, ground going to ground and the pwm connected to one positive terminal. I'm going to be rebuilding my gen soon. This sounds like a good experiment.
Russ
12-05-2008 03:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alpha-dog Offline

RE: colpitts osc
This is what I'm starting to build
Russ    
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2008 08:39 AM by alpha-dog.)
12-08-2008 08:36 AM
alpha-dog Offline

I guess I'll just talk to myself for a while.
I measured the two capacitors I made today out lkof switch plate and .04 shower pan liner and they measure 102pf.
The inductor I made for it from rebar and 12 gauge solid conductor wire with 45 turns measured 14.9uh. If I don't consider resistance in the system it will resonate at 50Mhz. Just a little high. I'm going to try with and without the inductor. Maybe a RC time is better to work from. Does anyone know of an easy to get material to replace the shower pan liner and is .01 or smaller and can take up to 15 amps. I want to get my switch plate capacitors closer together.
Russ
12-09-2008 05:46 PM
colchiro Offline

Russ, bear in mind only a few people know much about oscillators. You've just limited yourself to an audience you can count on one, maybe two hands.

You might want to discharge that flux capacitor when you turn it off at night.Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-09-2008 06:00 PM
Zipstor Offline

It seems like an excellent idea, Russ.. Have you done some tests yet? I'm curious.

>> http://brownsgas.com
12-09-2008 07:32 PM
alpha-dog Offline

Zipstor Wrote:It seems like an excellent idea, Russ.. Have you done some tests yet? I'm curious.

My pwm's haven't arrived yet. I have made a capacitor and inductor and have measured there value to get an idae of where resonant frequency will be. I haven't even considered resistance of the tank yet.
You know it might produce less gas but at much less amperage.
I'll also need a large diode in series with the pwm's output to protect the pwm.
Russ
12-10-2008 07:50 AM
realtyroy Offline

Having the iron bar wrapped and energized wouldn't that create a sort of magnetic field around the plates? Maybe creating a kind of electro-magnet?

That might allow the plates to give up the bubbles easier??
It will be interesting to see how this works out.

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
12-10-2008 08:13 AM
alpha-dog Offline

realtyroy Wrote:Having the iron bar wrapped and energized wouldn't that create a sort of magnetic field around the plates? Maybe creating a kind of electro-magnet?

That might allow the plates to give up the bubbles easier??
It will be interesting to see how this works out.

has the magnetic field breaks down you get current flowing in the opposite direction. Kinda nice that way. I'm not sure what role inductance plays in HHO generation but its gotta help.
Russ
12-10-2008 04:52 PM
Gary Offline

Tip o' tha hat to experimentation and hobbylanders.
I recall some of the resonant frequency videos and they were talking about 600hz, I think 1,200 something hz, then like 40,000 or some astronomical speed. It may bear looking into for your rig. I also recall some talk about the resonant freq of splitting being a moving target; I believe ZFF was on to that in his vids. If it weren't, all you'd have to do would be change the speed of the PWM until it started producing. But evidently, that's not the case.
I know nothing else; no use asking questions from me.
Dang I'm useless...!
12-10-2008 07:20 PM