Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
cracking the plexglass
tms848s Offline

cracking the plexglass
I have put the hydro pump in my truck many times after 1 day the unit over heats i guess and cracks the 1/2 plexiglass in many different places I am lost how do I keep this from happening
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2008 06:11 AM by tms848s.)
10-31-2008 06:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilsid Offline

RE: cracking the plexglass
Use polycarbonate
10-31-2008 08:40 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

Am I correct in assuming the plexi you are using is for end plates. If so plexi doesn't like holes drilled in it and usually cracks around or near the hole. My end plates are made from HDPE. I got mine from Walmart it is a cutting board and it is 7/16" thk.
10-31-2008 08:43 AM
tms848s Offline

hydrotinkerer Wrote:Am I correct in assuming the plexi you are using is for end plates. If so plexi doesn't like holes drilled in it and usually cracks around or near the hole. My end plates are made from HDPE. I got mine from Walmart it is a cutting board and it is 7/16" thk.

Thanks I will try this stuff I let you Know
11-01-2008 06:17 PM
Gary Offline

Hydro pump?
Anyway, Lexan is more flexible, but more costly than polycarbonate, and much tougher. I've used poly for all my stuff so far, but if I were to produce units for sale I wouldn't do so. Poly is just cheap. If you know how to work it, it's not bad. Milsolm told me that he was getting crazing cracks when he used Goop with it.
It don't like Goop.
It also doesn't like pressure or high heat. It will warp with 160 degrees, crack when pressed or bolted tight, and craze from metal drill bits over 1/4". Spade bits work pretty well though. I believe a hole saw bit would do well, but haven't tried it.
11-01-2008 06:32 PM
ted Offline

Hi If you were too get the technical specs on plexglass you would find that it is only rated for 160 deg max "melting point". Holes are air pockets which expand when heated. That means expansion = cracks I agree with Gary as he has stated above. By the way gary what about the info on your dry cell ?
Iam interested in looking over your specs. Or would you perfer to keep that on the qt for now? Ted E me back
11-01-2008 07:50 PM
Gary Offline

All my stats are posted all over here in many places. Generally, 1L/min. @ 11-12 amps. 85 degrees F.
11-02-2008 05:12 AM