Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
digital or analog?
tcarter170 Offline

digital or analog?
I installed a quad efie in my 81 El Camino. The El Camino has only one oxy sensor in the header exhaust before the crossover and cat. the oxy sensor signal goes to a computer that, in turn adjusts the mixture in the carburetor. I am using the digital output on the quad efie. For about a month I have been trying to adjust the voltage so the engine doesn't begin to starve after running with the two wet cells active for about 15 to 20 minutes. At 375 mV, it barely runs at all. At 125 mV it runs good for 15 to 20 minutes until the wet cells get going and start producing more gas. Should I be using the analog output of the efie rather than the digital ouput?

The activity light is going on and off fairly rapid and seems to stay on longer when I accelerate and off longer when I decelerate.

Tom
03-12-2010 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: digital or analog?
(03-12-2010 07:59 PM)tcarter170 Wrote:  I installed a quad efie in my 81 El Camino. The El Camino has only one oxy sensor in the header exhaust before the crossover and cat. the oxy sensor signal goes to a computer that, in turn adjusts the mixture in the carburetor. I am using the digital output on the quad efie. For about a month I have been trying to adjust the voltage so the engine doesn't begin to starve after running with the two wet cells active for about 15 to 20 minutes. At 375 mV, it barely runs at all. At 125 mV it runs good for 15 to 20 minutes until the wet cells get going and start producing more gas. Should I be using the analog output of the efie rather than the digital ouput?

The activity light is going on and off fairly rapid and seems to stay on longer when I accelerate and off longer when I decelerate.

Tom

No. Use the digital EFIE. You just need to get it set right. Your observations of the activity light are consistent with a correct installation. The light flashes on and off when in cruise or idle. It should stop blinking during acceleration because the mix is rich during those times.

Now, the trouble is, if you're not making a good quantity of gas, then even a small amount of EFIE correction can be too much. Or, I've also seen where a leak in the line made setting the efie a nightmare. But once the leak was found the efie had to be increased because there was HHO in the system. You should check out the HHO System Debug Checklist to find out what's really going on.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-13-2010 04:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply