Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
discoloration of electrolyte??
originalmazdawg Offline

discoloration of electrolyte??
what would cause the "water" in the hydrogen generator to turn greenish-yellow?? Unit is still getting power, fluid level is at about 75%, pulling 10 amps, down from 13-14 amps. This is the third system I have installed, and this is the only one changing color.
11-17-2008 08:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjb2888 Offline

RE: discoloration of electrolyte??
originalmazdawg Wrote:what would cause the "water" in the hydrogen generator to turn greenish-yellow?? Unit is still getting power, fluid level is at about 75%, pulling 10 amps, down from 13-14 amps. This is the third system I have installed, and this is the only one changing color.

What are you using? Second is it hooked to pcv line?
11-17-2008 03:41 PM
thomasbala Offline

originalmazdawg Wrote:what would cause the "water" in the hydrogen generator to turn greenish-yellow?? Unit is still getting power, fluid level is at about 75%, pulling 10 amps, down from 13-14 amps. This is the third system I have installed, and this is the only one changing color.
Greenish-yellow is the usual color of copper salts such as copper sulphate, copper chloride, etc. Maybe you've got some copper wire reacting with your electrolyte.
11-17-2008 08:32 PM
originalmazdawg Offline

jjb2888 Wrote:

What am I using as far as what? pcv line? clear rubber hose from generator to bubbler and then to intake before throttle body.
11-18-2008 02:57 PM
jjb2888 Offline

originalmazdawg Wrote:
jjb2888 Wrote:

What am I using as far as what? pcv line? clear rubber hose from generator to bubbler and then to intake before throttle body.

Sorry I meant for an electrolyte. Also are you tied into the pcv valve line to the manifold? I hooked mine up like that once and noticed a yellow tint. Figured it was vapors from the crankcase getting in.
11-18-2008 03:00 PM
originalmazdawg Offline

thomasbala Wrote:
Greenish-yellow is the usual color of copper salts such as copper sulphate, copper chloride, etc. Maybe you've got some copper wire reacting with your electrolyte.

that I know of, there's no copper inside the generator.
11-19-2008 01:26 PM
originalmazdawg Offline

jjb2888 Wrote:
originalmazdawg Wrote:
jjb2888 Wrote:

Sorry I meant for an electrolyte. Also are you tied into the pcv valve line to the manifold? I hooked mine up like that once and noticed a yellow tint. Figured it was vapors from the crankcase getting in.

no, I am not hooked up to the pcv line/hose, the feed goes directly to the intake tube inches before the throttle body. As for the electrolyte, using potassium hydroxide that came with the kit.
11-19-2008 01:28 PM