Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
dry cell membrane
pfai Offline

dry cell membrane
In a dry cell I believe we need a rigid membrane. The spacing is so close that a fabric membrane is against one plate or the other. I would like to find a thin plastic perforated sheet, something like .010 or .020 thick. What do ya think?
Paul
10-01-2008 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: dry cell membrane
You don't have to build the plates so close. I have 1/4" between mine with the soft, ironed filter between, trapped and held by 1/8" gaskets on either side. Test today showed separation, just before my accident, uh, pop.
10-05-2008 03:45 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

Gary Wrote:You don't have to build the plates so close. I have 1/4" between mine with the soft, ironed filter between, trapped and held by 1/8" gaskets on either side. Test today showed separation, just before my accident, uh, pop.

Accident?

How is the register filter membrane holding out? I almost picked some up this weekend but thought I'd ask you if they are holding out well before buying a pack.
10-06-2008 10:38 AM
texasdanml430 Offline

you get good production with little heat and foaming and reasonable electrolyte conc. at 1/4 inch separation?
10-06-2008 11:34 AM
Gary Offline

Nononono and no. I didn't get to finish the testing! It went like this:
Hooked up the 3 cells in parallell, as designed. Ammeter hit the wall.
Dumped a couple times and added water, letting the unit cycle the stuff to mix in the bubbler.
Finally got amps down to low 20's, where I could watch a bit.
Hoses heated up...about 104...in a short time> I could see this was a runaway if left on.
Bubbling like mad, I put a hose on the bubbler exhaust o2 side and put it in a pot of water.
Lit lighter and it made small pops or fluffs off of the bubbles...maybe a little h2 in there.
Put hose on H2 side and did the same. Bubbles give off soft pops.
Hose comes out of water for a split second.
Game over.
New bubbler is drying in the vise.
10-06-2008 04:16 PM
pfai Offline

I have the amp and heat problem in my grasp(I think), my problem is still the membrane , gonna try fiberglass perforated plate next. Have tried Lexan with drilled holes-cracked under heat,thin plastic with drilled holes,limited active plate space so, it also limited production.Fiberglass fabric produced a lot but flexed against oposite plate and, in essence, acted like it wasn't there.
10-07-2008 03:25 PM
Milosm Offline

pfai Wrote:I have the amp and heat problem in my grasp(I think), my problem is still the membrane , gonna try fiberglass perforated plate next. Have tried Lexan with drilled holes-cracked under heat,thin plastic with drilled holes,limited active plate space so, it also limited production.Fiberglass fabric produced a lot but flexed against oposite plate and, in essence, acted like it wasn't there.

I found a filter material that is made from some type of poly material that is of a very tight weave about 1/32" thick that you could sandwich
between two plexi rings, that might help .Its at lowes in the window air conditioner area its by Frost King a13x24" (#ES1550)sheet goes for $6.00 remove the hard plastic backing. I have been using it as my membrane material in my H2 cells Doug.
10-07-2008 04:04 PM
Gary Offline

My design works...most excellently. I got a 7 minute liter...I tried my hand at math again...that's maybe 340ml/min. or 20L/hr.
Amps were 15 and it hit 122 degrees F. after about 45 minutes.
...needless to say I'm stoked. Now to tackle all the other problems like the size of the thing (a 15LB. FOOTBALL) and the bubbler.
I designed a dual-case bubbler for it to keep the gasses separated and it works very well.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-07-2008 05:58 PM
jjb2888 Offline

Gary Wrote:My design works...most excellently. I got a 7 minute liter...I tried my hand at math again...that's maybe 340ml/min. or 20L/hr.
Amps were 15 and it hit 122 degrees F. after about 45 minutes.
...needless to say I'm stoked. Now to tackle all the other problems like the size of the thing (a 15LB. FOOTBALL) and the bubbler.
I designed a dual-case bubbler for it to keep the gasses separated and it works very well.

Nice job Gary. Big Grin
10-07-2008 07:54 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

Gary, you never stop amazing me with your skill. Wink What's your background again?
10-09-2008 08:25 PM