Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
eBay Alert
tweeter Offline

eBay Alert
I guess "General Support" is the best place to post this observation.

I don’t mean to make this sound too alarmist, but I just ordered a digital ammeter from “Asia Engineer” on eBay. If you do a search on eBay for ‘ammeter’, you will find several of his items listed for sale. I ordered an ammeter that was advertised as ‘9-12 V AC/DC’.

When my unit arrived, it was the wrong model and they sent me one that requires an external 5V power supply.

The meter comes well packaged, but the heads-up for our members is to advise them to immediately look on the back of the meter for the required voltage. You should be able to read the required voltage before removing the plastic wrap. If you have received the wrong unit, you can immediately pack the unit back into the box for a refund.

I wasn’t aware that I had the wrong meter until I had removed all of the packaging. It was then I also discovered that I could have discovered the meter voltage before unpacking it.

“Asia-Engineer’ is a power seller on eBay, so I’m sure he will exchange the unit, or I can get a refund via Paypal. I just wanted to alert everyone to check the merchandise from Asia-Engineer as soon as you receive it. I’ve heard that this isn’t an isolated circumstance of the wrong meter being shipped, but for now, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Regards to All,

Dick

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
1989 Toyota Camry, 4-cyl, (3S-FE)
MagDrive 11a with Single EFIE Deluxe
Largo, Florida
11-05-2008 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: eBay Alert
It's always best to check and confirm your ammeter will work on a 12 VDC system. Some may need additional parts to do that.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-05-2008 07:45 PM
realtyroy Offline

I may be wrong but you say it is for a ac/dc setup and that is your first clue.
The one you want is dc only. Thinking out loud here, does it say maybe that the external power supply is necessary for measuring the ac current?
Have you tried it yet? Maybe it will work for dc the way it is but will need the 5volt signal for the ac?
Remember I'm just thinking out loud.

Roy

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-06-2008 09:56 AM
tweeter Offline

Roy,

I contacted the seller and he has offered to exchange the 5v meter for a 12v meter. He has changed the auction to remove the 12v reference and now has buried a reference in a table that says "Power Supply 5v".

It's not worth getting into an argument with him regarding the original auction offering. He has agreed to swap the meters if I pay $3 for shipping.

I waste $3 tipping a rude waitress for lousy service, so getting the correct meter for $3 is worth the small cost.

Thanks to you and Rick for your input.

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
Largo, Florida
11-06-2008 11:31 AM
colchiro Offline

It's only $3, but still you shouldn't have to pay for his mistake. Tell him he pays it or you give him a bad rating? Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-06-2008 12:18 PM
tweeter Offline

Hee Hee...

I'll keep the negative feedback option as my little surprise for him!!

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
Largo, Florida
11-06-2008 12:29 PM
JET USA Offline

Hey, can I offer a suggestion? A simple series meter in line with the cell works well
Look at auto zone or any good auto parts store. I have a picture of one on my site
http://waterworks4fuel.com/products4.html

http://Jet-USA.com
"Those who say" " It cannot be done"
"should get out of the way of those who are doing it"[/size][/align]
11-07-2008 01:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tweeter Offline

Jet,

I've already installed an analog meter and the scale isn't accurate enough. The width of the indicator needle can be almost 10 amps.

I'm constantly fiddling with the electrolyte to see if I can get more production at an acceptable amperage, and that's why I wanted to go to the digital gage.

Thanks for the offer to help!

Regards,
Dick
-----------------------
Largo, Florida
11-07-2008 08:03 PM
colchiro Offline

Tweeter, I replaced my -50 to +50 ammeter (under the hood, by the cell) with a 0 to 30 amp type and it's much easier to use.

[Image: ebed_2.JPG]

Rick

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2008 08:31 PM by colchiro.)
11-07-2008 08:31 PM
Gary Offline

I too had the same problems with Asia Engineer on Fleabay. They don't make it obvious enough that you need a SEPARATE power supply for the unit, and it's also easy to get the wrong meter. However, they are not unscrupulous and will work with you. They just don't speeky Eeenglash; used a translator.
I love my meter now that it's working (he threw in the converter for $5) and it even reads in tenths of an amp. A bit brighter than I'd expected though: it's a LOT of blue light in the cab. You could read it from ten feet away! I suggest anyone to get the lighted numbers instead of the lighted background.
11-08-2008 06:33 AM