Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
ecu's eventually going back to pre-efie
fixityourselfer Offline

ecu's eventually going back to pre-efie
I read from people's experience here on the forum that sometimes someone will set an efie for x amount of milivolts, and be seeing a fine increase in mpg.
but after several days or weeks the ecu seems to "catch on" that something's fishy, and mileage goes back down to the way it was before the efie was installed.

1.does this happen often? 2.what can be done to prevent it?
06-20-2009 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ahsem1972 Offline

RE: ecu's eventually going back to pre-efie
I don't think the ECM learns with the enhancer I use but I think the whole process has bugs to be worked out. The people I talk to that I trust can make good highway gains but city driving is harder to produce gains with.
http://www.mpgimprovements.com
06-22-2009 11:00 AM
fixityourselfer Offline

I wonder if this is the solution to ecu's going back to pre-efie . I read somewhere on hho forums that it should do the job permenantly. what I don't understand is WHY it should be so much better then the map sensor ajuster that's shown in "tuning for mileage" . obviously it gives more points than a variable resistor, but why should the ecu see this as more "permenant" and not go back to pre- adjusted settings with this too? can someone explain?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...rm=KEYWORD

here's where I got the info from. This guy says it's the "doityourselfer" 's way to make the ecu retain the changes permenantly.

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/D17.pdf
06-22-2009 07:07 PM
colchiro Offline

You'd need both parts, KC5386 & KC5385 = $85 + $68.... and a lot of tuning time. As much as I'd like to play with a tuner, I think the broad-band approach of an efie is easier to tune than the individual specifics that come into play with a tuner. Then there's that learning curve too....

We usually see the problem you describe before an efie is installed, not after. We're also seeing a lot more vehicles that need to treat the post-cat o2's with an efie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-22-2009 07:18 PM
jbalat Offline

This is definitely the way to go. The D17 efie is not working for me and I nearly purchased an LC-1 wideband controller..

The problem is that the jaycar unit only supports Map with 5v range. Mine is frequency based so it wont work.
I have heard of a freq to voltage converter then I could run a voltage to freq converter at the other end but my electronics skills are not the best so I would need some serious help..

Then if I do get the unit together and working I can imagine some issues with tuning..

I have a Basic STAMP kit <http://www.parallax.com/> at my disposal (similar to picaxe) which I can play around with. You can feed it inputs and modify them to create output voltages and pulses using a basic program.. Overall it sounds a lot easier than the Jaycar solution since I am not too bad at programming.
06-23-2009 03:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fixityourselfer Offline

(06-22-2009 07:18 PM)colchiro Wrote:  We usually see the problem you describe before an efie is installed, not after.

can you explain what you mean by that? sorry if i missed something here
06-25-2009 12:49 PM
colchiro Offline

It's common for people to experience an increase in mileage with just hho (no efie), which over the course of a week or so, quickly drops to break-even or a slight loss. This usually resolves with the addition of an efie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-25-2009 01:02 PM