Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
efie installation
Larry1946 Offline

efie installation
I have a circuit board efie that I purchased from fuel-saver. Do I have to have a multimeter in order to install this device on my auto. If not, please explain what I need to do in order to set the efie once it is installed. In other words, when I turn the "pot" clockwise, when do I know that I have turned it far enough to back off a little.

If I do have to have the multimeter, then once the efie is installed, do I hold the meter probes on the wires that have been spliced from the efie into the O2 signal wire or do I check the wires coming from the efie for the proper millivolts before the wires are attached into the O2 sensor signal wires?

Thanks,

Larry
10-06-2008 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joebtflsk Offline

RE: efie installation
I'm installing an EFIE on my 2001 Corolla, but have hit a snag having to do with identifying the signal wire on the pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor pigtail. I've identified the sensor heater and its ground, but the other two wire both read .01 volt with the switch on in the # two position. The Haynes manual isn't much help. I can probably identify the signal wire by testing the pigtail wires with the car running and all that, but maybe somebody here has a 2001 Corolla and can just tell me which of the four wires is the signal wire and its ground. Why would there be current in the two pigtail wires that aren't the sensor heater and its ground?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2008 02:33 PM by joebtflsk.)
10-06-2008 01:32 PM
colchiro Offline

Larry, it's nearly impossible to find the correct wires and adjust an efie without a voltmeter. Harbor Freight has a nice one for under $5.00. I suspect there are other stores in your neighborhood that will have something comparable. Make sure it can measure DC voltages under 2 volts. While you're at it, stop at Radio Shack and get a pair of alligator clips, designed to push on the end of your clip leads. They're about $4.

The deluxe has jacks on the front, making it easy. You'll have to measure the voltage across your green and white wires. Makes no difference if it's under the hood or at the efie. If you have the double, you'll also need to measure the offset from the blue and brown wires.

Joe, have you tried starting the engine, letting it warm up a few minutes, then checking it? See "EFIE Installation Instructions" in my Documents link.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-06-2008 03:50 PM
Larry1946 Offline

colchiro Wrote:Larry, it's nearly impossible to find the correct wires and adjust an efie without a voltmeter. Harbor Freight has a nice one for under $5.00. I suspect there are other stores in your neighborhood that will have something comparable. Make sure it can measure DC voltages under 2 volts. While you're at it, stop at Radio Shack and get a pair of alligator clips, designed to push on the end of your clip leads. They're about $4.

The deluxe has jacks on the front, making it easy. You'll have to measure the voltage across your green and white wires. Makes no difference if it's under the hood or at the efie. If you have the double, you'll also need to measure the offset from the blue and brown wires.

Joe, have you tried starting the engine, letting it warm up a few minutes, then checking it? See "EFIE Installation Instructions" in my Documents link.
10-06-2008 05:22 PM
Larry1946 Offline

Thanks for the quick reply. I will get a volt meter tomorrow from Harbor Freight that will read under 2 volts DC. Please be specific about the wires I test with the meter. Do I check the efie wires before they are spliced into the O2 sensor wires to get the correct offset or do I check them after the efie wires are connected to the O2 sensor wires to check the offset? I understand that the motor should be running and warmed up.

Larry
10-06-2008 05:29 PM
colchiro Offline

See "EFIE Installation Instructions" in my Documents link for specifics on finding wires and installing.

Set the efie after the engine has been running for 5 minutes (the efie gradually increases the offset for cold start reasons). I'd start at 100 mv and increase it about 50 mv after a couple days.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
10-06-2008 05:44 PM
Larry1946 Offline

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I can handle the install tomorrow. I'll post my results when I get everything going properly.

Larry
10-06-2008 07:21 PM
joebtflsk Offline

Referring to my last concerning the 2001 Corolla and identification of the oxygen sensor signal wire, not that the EFIE instructions here do not answer my question. The instructions are: "1. Disconnect the wire harness, turn on the ignition and probe a wire produces 12 volts. This will be the heater circuit. 2. Next find the 2 wires that produce exactly 0 volts. These will be the heater ground and the signal ground. The remaining wire will be you signal wire."

I have a wire registering 12 volts and a wire registering 0 volts. I have two wires registering .o1 volt.
10-07-2008 02:45 PM
colchiro Offline

Why don't you email Bruce at support@fuel-saver.org and ask for a wire diagram for your vehicle. He'll need year, model and engine size.

It sounds like the 0 volt wire is the one you want, but I don't understand why you're reading 0 volts on it.

Does it run ok and get you the mileage you'd expect?

How many miles on the o2 sensor? We start to consider replacing them at 100k miles.

Rick

10-07-2008 04:02 PM
lrocchetti Offline

Larry,
can you elaborate more about the circuit
Louie
11-03-2008 09:49 AM