Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electrolyte
Cowboy Offline

electrolyte
I'll use this space to provide information I've learned regarding different electrolyte materials.

The three big ones are; Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide, Lye, Caustic Soda), and KOH (Potassium Hydroxide, Lye, Caustic Soda).

Baking Soda:

Cheap and can be found in just about every store that has a cash register. But, it creates a brown goo in the generator. This goo is spent Chlorine, caused by the sodium content. The goo coats your electrodes and will limit production over time. Cell can be cleaned and production restored. Other by-products from it's use are Chlorine Gas, Carbon Monoxide, and other bad things I'm sure. It is also a consumable, unlike NaOH and KOH. Being a consumable, it gets pulled into your engine as well, and that just can't be good on things.

NaOH:

Not as cheap as Baking Soda, but can be found in a lot of cleaning supplies. Again, it creates the brown goo. It is more effectiv for our purposes than Baking Soda though. It is not a consumable, so it's supply never needs replaced, unless your engine is sucking it it. Refilling the generator from the bubbler will place the electrolyte content back to it's original place.

KOH:

Cost is comparable to NaOH, but it is harder to find. Most people will have to conduct online orders for it. It does not create a brown goo, nor is it a consumable. That is the big bonus over NaOH.

A new thing that has been tested by another and is in the process of being tested by me is Lemon flavored Kool-Aid, from the packet with no sugar added. About 10 Packets per Gallon of water. It is not believe to be a consumable, and it does not create a goo, though it does change the water to a green color. He has been testing it for a while now and his plates have remained clean.

A way to assist in cleaning the goo from your plates is to replace the water with 100% vinegar and letting the unit run for a while. The acidic action will restore plates to at least a close to new condition.

Since I'm here I'll touch on the conditioning subject. Another guy soaks his plates in a super strong KOH solution for 3 days before assembly. He claims that by doing so he has noticed an increase in production over the same design that he did not condition. His production is also 3.5LPM on his design.

Hope this helps you out in some form or another.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2008 12:28 PM by Cowboy.)
07-31-2008 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply