Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electrolytes
whitevanman Offline

electrolytes
As a newbie to this and a lot of reading down the road.it seems that old man reily and his cow,dog, and whole barnyard of animals seems to have an opion as to what is the best to use in an hho generator...... no offence to you mr reily!!!!.....Are there any comparrisons out there between .... baking soada...Naoh....Koh.... hydogen peroxide (and salt.!!??.)or even tate and lyle syrup if that works....just joking!!! :-)). It would be interesting ..at least to me... to know... many thanks to antisipated response!!!! Edward
08-28-2008 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
howiemandel Offline

RE: electrolytes
try sugar
08-28-2008 04:40 PM
hygear Offline

whitevanman Wrote:As a newbie to this and a lot of reading down the road.it seems that old man reily and his cow,dog, and whole barnyard of animals seems to have an opion as to what is the best to use in an hho generator...... no offence to you mr reily!!!!.....Are there any comparrisons out there between .... baking soada...Naoh....Koh.... hydogen peroxide (and salt.!!??.)or even tate and lyle syrup if that works....just joking!!! :-)). It would be interesting ..at least to me... to know... many thanks to antisipated response!!!! Edward
I've found that koh works best in my cell.Naoh seemed to leave deposits and make the solution look like strong iced tea after running a short period of time.There is a guy on another forum that swears by unsweeted lemonade koolaid(in fact a few of them use it)that he got the idea from his wife that said she would throw a packet in her dishwasher to remove stains once a month.If anyone wants to try it he said the mixing ratio was 10 packets to a gallon of water.
I replied a post to the koolaide thread on the forum asking who had any results 3 weeks ago and hav'nt got a comment yet.I'd like to see more results though before I dump koolaid in my cell.Makes sense though citric acid is a good conductor like vinegar.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
08-29-2008 03:46 AM
nuclear1 Offline

hygear Wrote:
whitevanman Wrote:As a newbie to this and a lot of reading down the road.it seems that old man reily and his cow,dog, and whole barnyard of animals seems to have an opion as to what is the best to use in an hho generator...... no offence to you mr reily!!!!.....Are there any comparrisons out there between .... baking soada...Naoh....Koh.... hydogen peroxide (and salt.!!??.)or even tate and lyle syrup if that works....just joking!!! :-)). It would be interesting ..at least to me... to know... many thanks to antisipated response!!!! Edward
I've found that koh works best in my cell.Naoh seemed to leave deposits and make the solution look like strong iced tea after running a short period of time.There is a guy on another forum that swears by unsweeted lemonade koolaid(in fact a few of them use it)that he got the idea from his wife that said she would throw a packet in her dishwasher to remove stains once a month.If anyone wants to try it he said the mixing ratio was 10 packets to a gallon of water.
I replied a post to the koolaide thread on the forum asking who had any results 3 weeks ago and hav'nt got a comment yet.I'd like to see more results though before I dump koolaid in my cell.Makes sense though citric acid is a good conductor like vinegar.

I use distilled white vinegar. There is no mixing required because it is 5% acetic acid and 95% distilled water. This makes the perfect electrolyte and is much less dangerous than a caustic such as KOH or NaOH. I would never keep a caustic like those around the house with the kids.
08-29-2008 04:45 AM
hygear Offline

nuclear1 Wrote:
hygear Wrote:

I use distilled white vinegar. There is no mixing required because it is 5% acetic acid and 95% distilled water. This makes the perfect electrolyte and is much less dangerous than a caustic such as KOH or NaOH. I would never keep a caustic like those around the house with the kids.
Maybe the koolaid would work ok for you too.Just have to worry about the kids drinking up all your electrolyte LOL.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
08-29-2008 05:53 AM
whitevanman Offline

hygear Wrote:
nuclear1 Wrote:
hygear Wrote:

Maybe the koolaid would work ok for you too.Just have to worry about the kids drinking up all your electrolyte LOL.

thanks so far folks... keep the replys coming!!!
08-29-2008 02:41 PM
saltmine Offline

I started off using plain 'ol baking soda, years ago (yeah, I've been experimenting with HHO for a long time)....Unfortunately, baking soda promotes rust, even on 316L stainless steel...It also forms a coating which will eventually render the reaction media useless.

Presently, I'm using sodium hydroxide. It takes very little to get a good reaction, and the reaction media stays very clean....Electrolyte solution stays clear for months.

I'd steer clear of things like common table salt....Sodium chloride + electricity makes chlorine gas...which is very corrosive and unhealthy to breathe

Sodium hydroxide adds nothing to the mix, and takes nothing away....it's a good "base".

Potassium hydroxide is also a good "base" but it reacts violently when added to water...care must be taken.
08-30-2008 05:18 PM
benny Offline

Any chemist out there know the results of mixing vinegar and bicarbonate of soda?
I inadvertently dumped vinegar into a solution containing BS and got quite strong gassing reaction for a short time.
Curious as to what the rest now is.
Any use as an electrolyte?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2008 02:19 PM by benny.)
09-25-2008 02:19 PM
hydrogenpro Offline

The only way to go is KOH or potassium hydroxide. You don't need much and it lasts a long time (soaks right in and you are able to control your amps with the amount that you put in) 2 1/2 tea spoons is about perfect with the Hydro Hybrid. Keeps you at 15 amps... http://www.firstelement.net sells it in small quantities so you don't have to buy 100 pounds of it! Or http://www.hydrogenparts.net (go to the accessories page)
The Hydro Hybrid at http://www.firstelement.net or http://www.hydrogenparts.net is by far the best unit out there. It has 20 stainless steel plates that produce a ton of hydrogen, keeps the amps and heat down, and has awesome strong parts that will probably last forever. I run about 20-30 hours before having to put water in the cell...! (they made the water fill dummy proof so you can't over fill the unit) They also have a bunch of cool accessories that are cheap, but perfect. (including KOH, mounting shims, digital gauges, thick wire, really cheap check valves that are normally 10 bucks and they are less than 5 bucks on their site, and awesome shrink tape to keep the heat really low (don't use platics bottles as they break after 6 hours)! Really easy to install and they send EVERYTHING needed for full installation. Getting about 36% better on my truck and I am keeping my amps low. The only way to save the earth! pass it on..! Hope this helps...it helped me. AWESOME!
09-25-2008 04:37 PM
hydrogenpro Offline

The only way to go is KOH or potassium hydroxide. You don't need much and it lasts a long time (soaks right in and you are able to control your amps with the amount that you put in) 2 1/2 tea spoons is about perfect with the Hydro Hybrid. Keeps you at 15 amps... http://www.firstelement.net sells it in small quantities so you don't have to buy 100 pounds of it! Or http://www.hydrogenparts.net (go to the accessories page)
09-25-2008 04:41 PM