Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electrolytes
hydrogenpro Offline

RE: electrolytes
saltmine Wrote:I started off using plain 'ol baking soda, years ago (yeah, I've been experimenting with HHO for a long time)....Unfortunately, baking soda promotes rust, even on 316L stainless steel...It also forms a coating which will eventually render the reaction media useless.

Presently, I'm using sodium hydroxide. It takes very little to get a good reaction, and the reaction media stays very clean....Electrolyte solution stays clear for months.

I'd steer clear of things like common table salt....Sodium chloride + electricity makes chlorine gas...which is very corrosive and unhealthy to breathe

Sodium hydroxide adds nothing to the mix, and takes nothing away....it's a good "base".

Potassium hydroxide is also a good "base" but it reacts violently when added to water...care must be taken.

Potassium hydroxide does nothing when added to water...you said it reacts violently when added to water. It's used in making soap and a bunch of other things for personal hygene. You don't want to eat it or play with it, but there is no reaction at all except for dissolving in the water. Don't get it in your eyes and wash your hands immediately if you get it all over yourself...etc. There is no residue at all and no red crap that gets left over...lasts a very long time with very little amounts.
09-25-2008 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badhabitwv Offline

I have been told that sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide
are very good at gas production, bit I have also been told that
they are corrosive to aluminum. Is this rite? And I've also been
told the same thing about distilled vinegar. Can someone help me
on what the best and safest electrolite is? Those cummins diesels
dont come cheep.
Gary
10-05-2008 05:51 PM
CraigBMM Offline

badhabitwv Wrote:I have been told that sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide
are very good at gas production, bit I have also been told that
they are corrosive to aluminum. Is this rite? And I've also been
told the same thing about distilled vinegar. Can someone help me
on what the best and safest electrolite is? Those cummins diesels
dont come cheep.
Gary

well i tried just regular salt recently , was curious how it would work. it didnt at all . made a dark brown mud of a mess .. dont use regular salt.

sea salt might of been what i read one guy was using but not regular salt . I usually use NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) it produces good gas and it stays relatively clean and stays cool without high temp problem. so far i think its best .. havent tried KOH
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 06:26 PM by CraigBMM.)
10-15-2008 06:19 PM
Thurman Offline

Need some help here. I'm running test using both the smack booster and Randy cell. I'm using unsweetened Lemon-aid Kool-Aid, Sodium Hydroxide (powder) and Potassium Hydroxide. But, the KOH I got was liquid at 45%. So, if I'm looking for a mixture of distilled water/KOH at 28% would that mean I would practically have to dilute the KOH 50% to achieve the 28% ? The 45% mix was the strongest the chemical company has for sale in my area. IF this is the case then the KOH I've read about being powder or granulated must be stronger. Any advice here or suggestions here? Thanks, David.[/size][/font]
10-16-2008 07:05 AM
hydrogenpro Offline

Thurman Wrote:Need some help here. I'm running test using both the smack booster and Randy cell. I'm using unsweetened Lemon-aid Kool-Aid, Sodium Hydroxide (powder) and Potassium Hydroxide. But, the KOH I got was liquid at 45%. So, if I'm looking for a mixture of distilled water/KOH at 28% would that mean I would practically have to dilute the KOH 50% to achieve the 28% ? The 45% mix was the strongest the chemical company has for sale in my area. IF this is the case then the KOH I've read about being powder or granulated must be stronger. Any advice here or suggestions here? Thanks, David.[/size][/font]

without question...that is VERY weak KOH. The KOH I got and highly recommend is 94%...it comes in flake form and dissolves instantly when mixed with water. Just go to http://www.hydrogenparts.net and go to the accessories page. They are really cheap there and really fast. I just ordered some more items from them and everything was sent the same day I ordered it! Gotta give kudos where kudos are due. PS....DO NOT mix your chemicals!!! Just use the KOH and that's it...start with 2.5 tea spoons and add it as you need it. You can get the exact amount of amps you desire with this stuff. Pretty cool.
10-16-2008 07:13 AM
Thurman Offline

hydrogenpro, Thanks for the info. My supplier is one I dealt with when I was employed and using them for chemicals for the company I worked for before retirement Smile. Actually, I trust his chemical wisdom, but he showed me a 2500 gallon tank of this 49% KOH and how they filled IBC's , carboys, and gallon jugs from it. "He" stated that it was as strong as they could get, maybe so. I just mixed a batch of 50/50 and it made more gas but it shot the amps off the ampmeter. I had to hook up a smaller HHO generator I had to reduce the voltage and amperage to the new one. I may cut this solution by 25% and try again. I'll order some of the flakes for sure. Thanks for the website info. David.
10-16-2008 10:35 AM
JET USA Offline

Hi I just added an info page last month to my website about electrolytes.
the article discusses the types of electrolytes that can be used.
here is a link.
http://waterworks4fuel.com/Electrolyte.html
JT Jim

http://Jet-USA.com
"Those who say" " It cannot be done"
"should get out of the way of those who are doing it"[/size][/align]
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2008 01:54 AM by JET USA.)
11-07-2008 01:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bartolo Offline

saltmine Wrote:I started off using plain 'ol baking soda, years ago (yeah, I've been experimenting with HHO for a long time)....Unfortunately, baking soda promotes rust, even on 316L stainless steel...It also forms a coating which will eventually render the reaction media useless.

Presently, I'm using sodium hydroxide. It takes very little to get a good reaction, and the reaction media stays very clean....Electrolyte solution stays clear for months.

I'd steer clear of things like common table salt....Sodium chloride + electricity makes chlorine gas...which is very corrosive and unhealthy to breathe

Sodium hydroxide adds nothing to the mix, and takes nothing away....it's a good "base".

Potassium hydroxide is also a good "base" but it reacts violently when added to water...care must be taken.

hey Saltmine:
What ratio are you using for your mixture? I have a 1/2 gal bubbler that came with my Hydro Super2. Used KOH, but too volatile.
Any /all help is appreciated.

thanks,
Bartolo
St.Pete,Fl
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2008 10:39 AM by bartolo.)
11-21-2008 10:39 AM
BEN Offline

HOW ARE YA.... I HAVE TRYED MANY THINGS OF ELECTOLYES
BAKING SODA WILL NOT MAKE HYDROGEN
BATTERY ACID WORKS BUT NOT FOR LONG
DRAINO IS CLAEN BUT WILL NOT MAKE MUCH H2 0
KOA IS THE SAME
SALT EATS METAL

I USED 100% LYE AND KOH FOR SOME TIME BUT NOT ANY MORE
11-27-2008 07:54 AM
ghahai ghato Offline

BEN Wrote:HOW ARE YA.... I HAVE TRYED MANY THINGS OF ELECTOLYES
BAKING SODA WILL NOT MAKE HYDROGEN
BATTERY ACID WORKS BUT NOT FOR LONG
DRAINO IS CLAEN BUT WILL NOT MAKE MUCH H2 0
KOA IS THE SAME
SALT EATS METAL

I USED 100% LYE AND KOH FOR SOME TIME BUT NOT ANY MORE

Hey Ben...
So what eletrolyte are you using at the moment...
Over here it's mostly KOH or Naoh.
11-27-2008 07:48 PM