Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
first shot at water vapor injection...pic
fixityourselfer Offline

first shot at water vapor injection...pic
[Image: picture0364.jpg]
here you see my first shot at getting some water vapor into my engine.

what it is is as follows. battery was moved to accomodate the 1.1gallon bug wash bottle. a single fogger rated at 300ml/hr is inside.
to the bottom center/left you see a 110v air pump with its nozzle pointed upward. bottom right you see a lightswitch dimmer to control pump. on punp's intake is a small filter.

pump nozzle goes to 90 degree fitting. 1 1/4" vinyl tubing goes to another 90 degree fitting in bug wash bottle so air current is directed down at fogger's mist stream.
more hose and fittings go to airbox. wire from fogger is visible above bug wash bottle. wire from fogger and wire from airpump dimmer go to firewall pass thru to inverter.

result:

one liter+ of water has been consumed in just over an hour's time, even though the fogger is only rated at 300ml/hr! it's cuz airpump is very strong.read on.

usually after my morning commute my engine is burning hot after an hour and a quarter at 75-80mph.
using my new vapor injector I was able to hold the metal turbo to intercooler hose in my hand after my morning commute! it is usually way too hot to touch!! it did not bring any mileage gains though. however, I now have an efie, and want to try the combination, but I need to use a better system as my current system soaks the air filter with water droplets as my pump is very strong even "dimmed down". it's obviously sending lots of "non-fogged" water out of the bottle, cuz the fogger could not possibly vaporize that much. also it's possible that my vapor injection is really a steam injection cuz it goes thru the turbo first,but I don't know. then please keep in mind this is a bit of a "rough setup", but feel free to post any comments!!!!
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2009 05:38 PM by fixityourselfer.)
07-19-2009 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
COMP Offline

RE: first shot at water vapor injection...pic
no change in MPG
07-26-2009 10:59 PM
fixityourselfer Offline

(07-26-2009 10:59 PM)COMP Wrote:  no change in MPG

yes, but the reason I posted was to show that I've successfully brought down the engine operating temp.

I assume I'm now free to lean out the motor till it goes back to pre-water injection temperatures.

I can do this as soon as I've got my EGT.
07-27-2009 03:59 PM
mike Offline

This is still promising. If you can bring down the engine temp, you can then lean the mix safely.

Another point: You aren't interested in vapor. You only want small droplets. Evaporated water don't do you any good. But the small droplets of water do you lots of good.

If you are wetting your air filter, I think that could be bad. It is likely blocking a lot of the droplets from getting into the engine. Why don't you try tapping your mister in behind the paper filter.

Also, try getting the mister to not blow big droplets, but just the mist. That's what you want, if possible.

Once you have your misting system perfected, you can then get aggressive with electronics to lean the air/fuel mix, and you should get some nice gains. Be careful that your misting system is running when your electronics to lean the engine are running. I would power them from the same source so that they come on together. If possible, have circuitry that will shut down the electronics if the mister runs out of water.

But overall it sounds promising. I haven't really explored misters, but I think they have a lot of promise. I eventually plan to use one with a good HHO system.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-04-2009 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

fixityourselfer- you said "usually after my morning commute my engine is burning hot after an hour and a quarter at 75-80mph.
using my new vapor injector I was able to hold the metal turbo to intercooler hose in my hand after my morning commute! it is usually way too hot to touch!! it did not bring any mileage gains though.

It seems to me you need to show that your normal temp with your mods is already too hot. It seems to me all cars run too hot to handle with bare hands. It also seems to me that your water temp guage should also register that additional heat. I have run my setup lean and the water temp didn't change. I just think that I wasn't too lean.
Does your water temp show a lower reading with your mister? I would think there should be a direct correlation between engine temp and water temp. I think you should get a good objective base-line reading with running stock and then record any changes.
I don't have a good picture of your metal turbo to intercooler hose. Where does it stand re: combustion? Before intake, after? What? Where?
Last thought- I don't see how a small mist into the combustion chamber is going affect the combustion temp. The purpose of water-injection was to create steam and not lower combustion temp. I thought the water thermostat was to make sure the combustion temp didn't get too low, otherwise take out the thermostat. But I think that would lower combustion efficiency.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2009 01:49 PM by rpatzer.)
08-05-2009 01:48 PM
Gary Offline

Also, a wet filter will act as a choke, and that's BAD, ya know?
With all the vacuum available in the engine, I would think you didn't need that air pump, unless you're trying to fight the vapors into the engine post-turbo. Simple fix on that is to go pre-turbo.
08-05-2009 02:23 PM
fixityourselfer Offline

folks you've been bang-on with the wet filter. driving up the highway i floor it, get surge of power then bang! boost gauge goes to 0! so I peek into airbox and see 1/2 the filter was getting wet from this system. now I've got myself a cone-shaped air filter, and the filter material is a fine metal screen, so no more such problem.

a coolant temp needle will not show the small increments like this. it would only show something like real overheating, otherwise it stays in the 3 oclock position. my EGT gauge&probe is in the mail though, and that WILL give an accurate reading of whats going on.

on the air pump:
I wrote the system sucked up a ton of water in a short time....
the mister gives only 300ml/hr. my engine took like 3 times that,and it sure seems the pump was responsible, cuz I'm injecting in a no-vaccum location.

the engine exhaust goes right thru part of the turbo. the intake air that i'm saying was cooler goes through the other side of the turbo . cooler air in that spot would mean I had a cooler turbo. water on/water off readings of the egt gauge should show it all.......
08-05-2009 07:49 PM