Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
forget stealing from alternator here's a better way
fixityourselfer Offline

forget stealing from alternator here's a better way
a highly efficient cell is something we all want. why? so it will give high lpm without taking too many amps.
we all would like to produce hho at home(cheaper) and use it in our cars, but there are problems. (dangerous high-pressure hho tank in car,etc)

so I thought of a solution.

Why don't we keep some 12v car batteries(&batt charger) in our trunk, charge the batteries overnight, and run the hho gen off the batteries alone? voltmeter gauge in dash area to keep tabs on the battery status,and tommorrow night we'll plug the car in again.

0 amps stolen from car, and cheaper electricity (not gas) being used to charge batteries.

I don't know how many car batteries I'd need to have wired up to keep a gen running at 1 lpm for 4-5 hours. 4-5 hours is the minimum I'd want to have to call my system practical.
07-19-2009 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

RE: forget stealing from alternator here's a better way
Sounds like a great idea, my bro and I have been trying the same thing. There are a few factors that may outweigh the situation, however.

1. You're carring about 100 pounds of extra weight.
2. Batteries and ten in trunk, terrible idea if you get hit.
3. Annoying to drag a battery charger to your trunk every night.
4. Leave charger in the trunk you say? Then add another 10 lbs.
5. Getting hit is still an issue, so fine a safe way to store everything!

Like I've said, I have been trying to find a good solution dr how this setup would with for a while now, but those are my main concerns. Fix those and we should be good to go! Big Grin

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
07-19-2009 07:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Not to mention that car batteries aren't designed for this kind of load. You'd want a battery designed to be deep discharged, which means now you're buying batteries at $60+ each.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2009 02:34 PM by colchiro.)
07-19-2009 02:34 PM
thomasbala Offline

(07-19-2009 07:24 AM)RDKamikaze Wrote:  Sounds like a great idea, my bro and I have been trying the same thing. There are a few factors that may outweigh the situation, however.

1. You're carring about 100 pounds of extra weight.
2. Batteries and ten in trunk, terrible idea if you get hit.
3. Annoying to drag a battery charger to your trunk every night.
4. Leave charger in the trunk you say? Then add another 10 lbs.
5. Getting hit is still an issue, so fine a safe way to store everything!

Like I've said, I have been trying to find a good solution dr how this setup would with for a while now, but those are my main concerns. Fix those and we should be good to go! Big Grin
But for the weight and extra work it's a good idea, especially if you just drive 50 or 100 miles per day. You probably wouldn't have to recharge every day, maybe every 3rd day.
07-19-2009 06:01 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

I'm not bashing the idea at all! There are just a few questions that I am trying to figure out would balance things out. Being a car person, the first thing I am always thinking of when I think fuel economy is weight. Everyone knows that more weight = less mileage, as well as dirtier car, etc. So I'm wondering if adding that extra 100lbs would even make a big difference lol! It's like my dad driving instead of me, or a teenager riding passenger all the time. I guess it's not too bad, especially if we can juice at least 40mpg highway out of a car! Big Grin

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-19-2009 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

It's been done. I think the mitigating factors are weight vs amps vs FE of the HHO. You may win out, or not. Many of us are now running the "sweet spot" instead of huge amps and outputs, and I'm not even using electronics.
V-8 Chevy (EPA 20mpg) hypermile is 18 - using 8-12 amps getting up to 22mpg.
Toy 4banger EPA ? - hypermile is 30, HHO at 5-10 amps got 36.9 today.

Add 100 lb. battery to that 4 banger and kiss those gains goodbye.
07-20-2009 03:45 PM
RDKamikaze Offline

Gary Wrote:Add 100 lb. battery to that 4 banger and kiss those gains goodbye.

Agreed!

Also, on a side note I'm going back to HHO!! My car's only getting 300 on the tank without e85 and HHO, 295 e85 no HHO, and I want my 400 miles back no e85 with HHO!!! Good thing I never took the whole unit out of my car, time to put the fuse back in Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My Car:
-DNX exhaust

07-20-2009 04:01 PM
colchiro Offline

RDK, before you do, have you tried E85 with an efie (no hho)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-20-2009 04:32 PM
Llew Offline

(07-19-2009 08:54 PM)RDKamikaze Wrote:  I'm not bashing the idea at all! There are just a few questions that I am trying to figure out would balance things out. Being a car person, the first thing I am always thinking of when I think fuel economy is weight. Everyone knows that more weight = less mileage, as well as dirtier car, etc. So I'm wondering if adding that extra 100lbs would even make a big difference lol! It's like my dad driving instead of me, or a teenager riding passenger all the time. I guess it's not too bad, especially if we can juice at least 40mpg highway out of a car! Big Grin

You should be able to get 40 mpg, from most 2,5 ltr cars. On petrol alone. Driving at a steady 60 MPH
07-30-2009 07:27 AM