Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
freezing
pfai Offline

freezing
What's the latest tricks to prevent freezing in an H2 cell? or , for that matter, HHO cell
12-08-2010 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: freezing
I don't know about any "latest" tricks. But adding denatured alcohol works. Just replace water with denatured alcohol. Keep the amount of electrolyte the same. You can probably go with about 30% alcohol. Home depot has it for pretty cheap, I hear.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-09-2010 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jw1978 Offline

(12-09-2010 10:56 AM)mike Wrote:  I don't know about any "latest" tricks. But adding denatured alcohol works. Just replace water with denatured alcohol. Keep the amount of electrolyte the same. You can probably go with about 30% alcohol. Home depot has it for pretty cheap, I hear.

Is it important to only add denatured alcohol?
I have a can of denatured ethanol mix whit isopropanol (2-propanol, Metyletylketon, Bitrex)
12-10-2010 06:43 AM
mike Offline

I don't know. I think it has something to do with avoiding deposits on your plates. I'd just get some denatured alcohol from Home Depot. Its cheap stuff.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-10-2010 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertLeSieur Offline

i have not had a problem due to electrolyte in my cell but it has only been 3 days under freezing at my location but i have removed my bubbler nightly,but i think any safe antifreeze would work there
12-10-2010 05:45 PM
mike Offline

Anti freeze would be terrible for your cell plates. Just use denatured alcohol. That's what I've seen recommended by most cell makers. You can also use it in your bubbler.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2010 05:59 PM by mike.)
12-10-2010 05:58 PM
RobertLeSieur Offline

i am sorry, yes anti freeze would destroy cells,
Please Under No Circumstances use such a product for the cells,
i was talking about for the bubbler that is separate and also for a wet cell application (my test unit at this time)
and should of made myself much more clear,
thank you for catching this and clarifying
12-11-2010 04:29 AM
mike Offline

Oh. Ya. For the bubbler, it should be fine. Does the anti-freeze try to foam up? That's another thing about the bubbler medium. You need something that doesn't foam up with the bubbling action,and then migrate into the engine. A little plain water would be fine, but the fact is you usually get some electrolyte material from the cell too, and you don't want that in the engine.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-11-2010 10:18 AM
RobertLeSieur Offline

everything seems to foam a little i guess i have a pvc style bubbler with ss pads to keep foam down with just a sight tube to see.
i mixed a little anti freeze 1oz or so to 6 oz water into the bubbler as a test and ran 10 miles or so with no bad effects but 10 miles is no real test.
as i will be driving short distance for next few weeks
i have had everything work its way into my motor after long runs, kept water low and with wet cell i have at this time and some sloshed into bubbler
and from there into engine,very little amounts so not to worry i guess with a flex fuel motor i believe should stand up better to any minor corrosives as ethanol fuel does, looking forward to getting an upgrade very soon as my initial test with homeade wet cell were better than expected
12-11-2010 03:52 PM
pfai Offline

alcohol evaporates naturally, do you need to add alcohol each time you refill with water? Or, do you use a refractometer to test cooling protection?
01-21-2011 09:03 AM