Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
heater...
palongee1 Offline

heater...
Hey everyone.... I know theres a "winter running" post on here where everyone was discussing what to do about the freezing issues. Ive read all kinds of stuff online and watched videos about mixing alocohol, rv anitfreeze and so on to prevent freezing. There are alot of guys on here that are WAY smarter than meSmile...Has anyone come up with some sort of 12 volt heating to keep the cell just above freezing?..Ive searched all over the internet for 12 volt heat tape and so on...so far I cant find anything thats even near what I think would work...any ideas here. Ive heard that alcohol reduces production, can turn into sludge...etc...id rather stay away if possible. I would imagine someone could come up with something that would draw just enough current to keep the cell above freezing and not drain the battery overnight....If anyone has any idea..id love to hear them. I finally just got my cell up and running on my truck and now im scraping ice off the windshield every morning...:(bad time for testingSmile...thanks for your time guys...Mike
11-16-2008 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abe Offline

RE: heater...
palongee1 Wrote:Hey everyone.... I know theres a "winter running" post on here where everyone was discussing what to do about the freezing issues. Ive read all kinds of stuff online and watched videos about mixing alocohol, rv anitfreeze and so on to prevent freezing. There are alot of guys on here that are WAY smarter than meSmile...Has anyone come up with some sort of 12 volt heating to keep the cell just above freezing?..Ive searched all over the internet for 12 volt heat tape and so on...so far I cant find anything thats even near what I think would work...any ideas here. Ive heard that alcohol reduces production, can turn into sludge...etc...id rather stay away if possible. I would imagine someone could come up with something that would draw just enough current to keep the cell above freezing and not drain the battery overnight....If anyone has any idea..id love to hear them. I finally just got my cell up and running on my truck and now im scraping ice off the windshield every morning...:(bad time for testingSmile...thanks for your time guys...Mike

This is just a thought, but on my well pump in the back yard. We use a 100 watt light to keep it from freezing,it dosent have to keep it warm, just above 40 degrees. Anyone tryed hanging a drop cord in your engen compartment to see if that will work?
11-21-2008 04:56 PM
mrbillr Offline

abe Wrote:
palongee1 Wrote:Hey everyone.... I know theres a "winter running" post on here where everyone was discussing what to do about the freezing issues. Ive read all kinds of stuff online and watched videos about mixing alocohol, rv anitfreeze and so on to prevent freezing. There are alot of guys on here that are WAY smarter than meSmile...Has anyone come up with some sort of 12 volt heating to keep the cell just above freezing?..Ive searched all over the internet for 12 volt heat tape and so on...so far I cant find anything thats even near what I think would work...any ideas here. Ive heard that alcohol reduces production, can turn into sludge...etc...id rather stay away if possible. I would imagine someone could come up with something that would draw just enough current to keep the cell above freezing and not drain the battery overnight....If anyone has any idea..id love to hear them. I finally just got my cell up and running on my truck and now im scraping ice off the windshield every morning...:(bad time for testingSmile...thanks for your time guys...Mike

This is just a thought, but on my well pump in the back yard. We use a 100 watt light to keep it from freezing,it dosent have to keep it warm, just above 40 degrees. Anyone tryed hanging a drop cord in your engen compartment to see if that will work?

What I thought about was add a little salt to the electrolyte. I have not read where this is an absolute no/no. This lowers the freeze point of water and is also a conductor for the electrolyte.
Just a thought and sure to get a rise from some people.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2008 05:10 PM by mrbillr.)
11-21-2008 05:10 PM
stl_hemi Offline

Try this
http://www.engineheaters.com/

I have a OEM block heater on my rig. It hit 22 last nite and with mine pluged in and the bubbler/reservoir never froze. The engine get's warm enough in the winter that the hood melts 6" of snow. Smile

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
11-21-2008 05:13 PM
CAG Offline

mrbillr Wrote:What I thought about was add a little salt to the electrolyte. I have not read where this is an absolute no/no. This lowers the freeze point of water and is also a conductor for the electrolyte.

I'm no chemist so don't beat me up to badlyMad, but wont the addition of salt to the electrolyte mix produce chlorine gas? I guess if your setup is built properly there should be no human exposure to gasses produced, but what happens when the engine eats it? How about possible reaction with trace amounts of NaOH or KOH in the gas mixture. Like I said, I'm just askin'.

Remember, once you let the smoke out of the wires, you can't ever get it back in !
11-21-2008 06:13 PM
thomasbala Offline

CAG Wrote:
mrbillr Wrote:What I thought about was add a little salt to the electrolyte. I have not read where this is an absolute no/no. This lowers the freeze point of water and is also a conductor for the electrolyte.

I'm no chemist so don't beat me up to badlyMad, but wont the addition of salt to the electrolyte mix produce chlorine gas? I guess if your setup is built properly there should be no human exposure to gasses produced, but what happens when the engine eats it? How about possible reaction with trace amounts of NaOH or KOH in the gas mixture. Like I said, I'm just askin'.
In WWI at the battle of Ypres the Germans first started using what we now call " chemical warfare". Guess what they first used? You got it Chlorine. Then came phosgene, mustard gas, etc. You're getting close Mr. Bill; sure hope you don't turn into the old Saturday Night Mr. Bill.........oh.....no.........Mr. Bill.
11-21-2008 06:44 PM
timmtbird Offline

Maybe an old hairdryer would do it? Mount it near the hho generator and water tank
Thing is its AC.
11-22-2008 11:28 AM
mrbillr Offline

Quote:In WWI at the battle of Ypres the Germans first started using what we now call " chemical warfare". Guess what they first used? You got it Chlorine. Then came phosgene, mustard gas, etc. You're getting close Mr. Bill; sure hope you don't turn into the old Saturday Night Mr. Bill.........oh.....no.........Mr. Bill.

Maybe I won't. I wonder what concentration the salt needs to be before it produces chlorine? I am also not a chemist, but from what I have read, it sounded like it had to be a fairly high concentration of salt, like sea water. All I wanted to do was add a little to lower the freezing point. The NaOH is providing the electrolysis, and the salt would bump it up some more.
Anyway, just curious.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
11-22-2008 01:43 PM
timmtbird Offline

mrbillr Wrote:
Quote:In WWI at the battle of Ypres the Germans first started using what we now call " chemical warfare". Guess what they first used? You got it Chlorine. Then came phosgene, mustard gas, etc. You're getting close Mr. Bill; sure hope you don't turn into the old Saturday Night Mr. Bill.........oh.....no.........Mr. Bill.

Maybe I won't. I wonder what concentration the salt needs to be before it produces chlorine? I am also not a chemist, but from what I have read, it sounded like it had to be a fairly high concentration of salt, like sea water. All I wanted to do was add a little to lower the freezing point. The NaOH is providing the electrolysis, and the salt would bump it up some more.
Anyway, just curious.

salt will not melt ice or snow at about 20f that will not work... well if you live in FL it would.Laugh
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2008 02:04 PM by timmtbird.)
11-22-2008 02:03 PM