Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
hho dry cell not producing anything
bgojkovich Offline

hho dry cell not producing anything
i just hooked up my hho system its 11 plates dry cell and i am using lye with distilled water i was working a few months back but i moved and its has been sitting awhile... now it doesnt do anything when connected to power. i took it apart and cleaned it the best i could with distilled water , there was alot of brown crud on the plates. when it was working i was getting about 1.2-1.5 lpm

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
07-11-2012 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hhofox Offline

RE: hho dry cell not producing anything
Hi, power up your unit and use a tester to check the voltage between each plate. It should be between 1.8 to 2.2 volts for production to take place. Also, when handling the plates, gloves should be used so as not to contaminate the metal. You can clean off contaminants with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl).
Hmmm.... 11 plates? How are they set up? -nnnn+nnnn- should still produce -but heat up more quickly than a 13 plate design.
07-12-2012 07:24 AM
bgojkovich Offline

There is about 2 volts power plate but no production is taking place no bubbles at all...and it's setup with positive on one end and negative at the other...should I use fine sand paper or sos pads without chemicals to better clean the residue off them?
07-12-2012 08:06 AM
hhofox Offline

Let's see. You are saying that when you measure the voltage between any two adjacent plates, you get about 2v? That should produce results then. Even if you touched some areas on the plates, you should still get bubbles, so it may be something else.
Just start checking from scratch. Mix up a new batch of electrolyte. I use 1 tablespoon of NaOH flakes per 1Litre of distilled water @ about 3.5 amps for my unit.
You should also ensure that there are no leaks in the system. I had this problem before. The gas would escape before making it to my bubbler and I thought that nothing was happening.
Check these things and let us know what's happening, ok?
Also, remember that too much HHO is not good. It takes energy to make HHO so excess will only rob you, as well as mess up combustion.
We are only assisting the burn, remember? A 1L engine should only require 1/4LPM to see good gains. Work out your needs and see what happens.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 10:54 AM by hhofox.)
07-12-2012 10:06 AM
bgojkovich Offline

thanks i got it working but now im getting a little foam and steam as where i didnt before... could the solution be to strong? would diluting the mixer with more distilled water slow the hho production rate? i making bout 1.2 lpm and have a 4 cylinder engine 2.2l so only need bout half what i am making... the last few pwm i bought the fan burn out after just a few seconds of use... do they always need to be fan cooled?

thanks for the help
07-12-2012 06:19 PM
hhofox Offline

Good to hear that it works again! What was the problem in the first place?
Anyway, why don't you try my 1Tbsp NaOH flakes to 1L water and see what the amp output is as well as the HHO output. If you have these measurements for your cell, then you can calculate (or just make a table in a spreadsheet) how much HHO you will get for a given amp draw as well as how much NaOH to add in order to get that. You won't need a PWM after that -unless you are in a cold country and must run a high concentration of electrolyte.
From what I hear, the PWM heats up because of the pressure it is under when you have it limit all those extra amps -so it had better be of high quality to keep doing it for long when you have a cell which draws a lot of amps.
07-13-2012 07:21 AM
bgojkovich Offline

Thanks again for the info I will try that...one more question you say cold country...how cold is to cold? It's gets to about the single digits at the coldest...will the solution freeze?
07-13-2012 08:33 AM
hhofox Offline

Single Digits!? I think that may prove to be a problem. Research HHO and cold weather to see what your options are if you wanna go without a PWM.
07-13-2012 09:48 AM
Verdfrepler Offline

I think that this information is the best.

dubli
09-09-2014 05:11 AM
LittleGreenDot Offline
Super Moderator

To address the foam get some pool or spa defoamer. The only way to prevent freezing without sacrificing HHO production is to use KOH and a PWM. http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/koh-freezing-temps
09-18-2014 05:03 PM