Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
high amps???
John Sargent Offline

high amps???
Hi Mike and Rick,

I have a 17 plate dry cell in my 07 Honda Accord. Relay, inline 30 amp fuse, and 30 amp pwm after the relay and going to the dry cell. I just replaced the relay and pwm. All grounds (cell, pwm and relay) are separate and go to different body grounds. All postives are connected with male and female spade connectors and closed up with electrical tape. I just drained out the electrolyte and replaced it with only distilled water. The pwm is barely turned on, to what might be 5 amps normally.
Yet my "fuse buddy" keeps showing over 30 amps, and the 30 amp fuses in the line have blown 3 times. I've gone over everything I can think of but am totally stumped at why I'm still getting high amperage.
Any ideas or suggestions? Help please from anyone else who may think they know what is going on.
Thanks,
John
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 12:31 PM by John Sargent.)
12-31-2008 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrbillr Offline

RE: high amps???
(12-31-2008 12:29 PM)John Sargent Wrote:  Hi Mike and Rick,

I have a 17 plate dry cell in my 07 Honda Accord. Relay, inline 30 amp fuse, and 30 amp pwm after the relay and going to the dry cell. I just replaced the relay and pwm. All grounds (cell, pwm and relay) are separate and go to different body grounds. All postives are connected with male and female spade connectors and closed up with electrical tape. I just drained out the electrolyte and replaced it with only distilled water. The pwm is barely turned on, to what might be 5 amps normally.
Yet my "fuse buddy" keeps showing over 30 amps, and the 30 amp fuses in the line have blown 3 times. I've gone over everything I can think of but am totally stumped at why I'm still getting high amperage.
Any ideas or suggestions? Help please from anyone else who may think they know what is going on.
Thanks,
John

Start eliminating components. Check the amps across each component. It sounds to me like you have a short somewhere, possibly even in the cell itself. Or maybe the PWM has shorted out.

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 01:06 PM by mrbillr.)
12-31-2008 01:05 PM
realtyroy Offline

(12-31-2008 01:05 PM)mrbillr Wrote:  

Thanks,
John

Start eliminating components. Check the amps across each component. It sounds to me like you have a short somewhere, possibly even in the cell itself. Or maybe the PWM has shorted out.

That's exactly what I would do, unhook everything except the booster and see what the amp draw is at that point. If its good add the PMW and see what happens.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 01:10 PM by realtyroy.)
12-31-2008 01:10 PM
John Sargent Offline

(12-31-2008 01:10 PM)realtyroy Wrote:  
(12-31-2008 01:05 PM)mrbillr Wrote:  

Thanks,
John

That's exactly what I would do, unhook everything except the booster and see what the amp draw is at that point. If its good add the PMW and see what happens.

Ok, will try it. Thanks, guys.
12-31-2008 01:32 PM