Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how much voltage
cheapfuel Offline

how much voltage
I am still building my oxy-hydrogen generator. It consists of 4 inch PVC pipe 8 inches in length and uses 4 stainless plates and two stainless steel rods for the anodes and cathodes. I am building 3 of these units connected together and will probably use 1 teaspoon of potassium hydroxide to one quart of water. I have a 1994 chev silverado with a 5.7 liter engine. There is one heat oxygen sensor and I have a single EFIE on order. I was planning to adjust each cell to 8 volts. That is 24 volts in total. I was planning to adjust the EFIE to 200 millivolts. Does this seem right to you? I would appreciate any feedback. I plan to inject the HHO gas through the air intake system. Confused
06-23-2008 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
app_master Offline

RE: how much voltage
From what I have read here and abroad - it's all a bit of trial and error...
however, you seem to be starting/heading in the right direction.
I would start with 1/2 a teaspoon per quart (litre for me) as 1 teaspoon may draw alot of amps and produce much heat - but like I said trial and error....

Good Luck...
06-23-2008 08:53 PM
cheapfuel Offline

app_master Wrote:From what I have read here and abroad - it's all a bit of trial and error...
however, you seem to be starting/heading in the right direction.
I would start with 1/2 a teaspoon per quart (litre for me) as 1 teaspoon may draw alot of amps and produce much heat - but like I said trial and error....

Good Luck...
06-23-2008 09:13 PM
cheapfuel Offline

Thank you App Master. That is a good suggestion. I will start with 1/2 teaspoon. What I will do is fill one of the cells 3/4 full with this solution and connect it directly to a 12 volt battery momentarily with an ammeter in line. Do you think 8 volts is a reasonable voltage for one cell. When I have the 3 cells in line this will give me 24 volts. This should produce enough HHO for a 5.7 liter engine. What do think? I am not worried about about the unit melting as it is fairly heavy construction. If this is the right amount of voltage then I will set up my system accordingly. that is 30 amp in line fuse and maybe 40 amp wire, etc. 24 volts would be nice because it would not be too heavy on the alternator.
06-23-2008 09:23 PM
CitatioN10 Offline

You'll want to get a PWM and run a dual battery system so you can divide up the voltage between the 3 . Otherwise you'll have 12 to 14.4 volts going to the one ,unless you plan to wire it in series ?

Also why bother running 3 small ones if you can run 1 big one ? get a PWM and it will cut the heat and youll get 3 times the output . check out http://www.pwmpower.com
06-24-2008 04:05 AM
cheapfuel Offline

Thanks Citation 10 for your reply. Yes, the cells will be connected in series, so that they will act as one large unit. By using 3 the heat should be distributed evenly so I expect them run cooler. I am not sure how to calulate the power use as the power applied to the total system will be 12 volts. By changing the concentration of the electrolyte each cell changes in voltage. Does this mean I must keep my voltage of each cell to 4 volts? I am not sure how the voltage out of the generators affects the voltage input of the car system. I would think that it is the amperage of the car system that would increase as I increase the generator voltage. I know that an ammeter is connected in series to power with the generator system. My guess is that it is the current that is increased as the voltage of the cell system is increased. Hence a one 12 volt battery should be fine. It is the current that gives the power to break up the water into hydrogen and oxygen; not the voltage. It is the power that produces the heat. (W = I x V ). If the voltage is kept the same and the resistance is increased, which it is with the added cells, then the current is (and hence the power) is reduced. (I = E/R). When the power is reduced it reduces the production of the generators.

I have one question here, does this mean I must keep the voltage of each cell to 4 volts? Or can I incease the voltages of each cell (say to 8 volts) to get get more current and hence more power? Increasing the current does not bother me, but running a more than 12 volt device on a 12 volt battery does. Any ideas? or am I all wet?

Two more question and I might as well put them in this thread.

What would be a desireable rate of production for a 5.7 liter fuel injection engine. I have a 1994 4x4 Chev Silverado truck? For exmple, would 1.5 liters a minute be OK, too little or too much? I will test my proto-type when I have it completed for production rate, amperage draw, and voltage, etc. and adjust to desired levels.

I plan to inject the HHO gas into the air intake system, by drilling a hole in the air cleaner assembly cover for access just above the throttle body. The tube would go through a rubber grommet to make a tight seal. Any ideas? How close to the trottle body inlet should I take the tube? Since I will only fill the generators 3/4 full I don't really need a bubbler. Do I?

After reading http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/hydrogen1.html I think I will add a bubbler. Oxy-Hydrogen is very explosive. The bubbler will prevent possible spark from reaching the generator(s) and exploding. Just a little safety goes a long way. I guess one should keep the space in the bubbler relatively small.

How many people have experienced explosions?
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2008 12:50 PM by cheapfuel.)
06-24-2008 07:14 AM