Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how to find passenger side upstream O2 sensor in a 99 5.0 Ford Explorer
willits18 Offline

how to find passenger side upstream O2 sensor in a 99 5.0 Ford Explorer
I am trying to hook up a Dual Digital Narrow Band EFIE to my 99 Explorer. I found the instructions on Mike's site (also bought his EFIE) but can't find the upstream O2 sensor on the passenger side. Is it hidden under or on top of something else I will have to remove, or is it just that hard to see? Other than that it's been a pretty good Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD). ALl help appreciated. Thanks, Tracy.
10-04-2009 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
diablo8109 Offline

RE: how to find passenger side upstream O2 sensor in a 99 5.0 Ford Explorer
The simplest and free way is to go on autozone.com or another auto parts web site. I have autozone has the best pictures. It will show you were the sensor is in full view. Also make sure that you have two upstream and two down stream also. I would think that you do. Hope this helps.

Larry
Cutting Edge Water4Gas
10-04-2009 11:34 AM
mike Offline

Hi Tracy,

Some oxygen sensors are very difficult to access. If yours is that way, you'll want to get the wiring diagram for your vehicle and locate the sensor signal wire up by the computer. Its a matter of convenience, only.

I usually access the wires at the computer end, because then all of the sensor wires are in one place, making the install easier.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2009 10:15 AM by mike.)
10-05-2009 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
willits18 Offline

Thanks Mike & Diablo. I did find the second sensor but cannot even see the wires coming out of the connector. I do have 4, 2 up and 2 down. My Haynes book lists 4 of them as well and gives the wire colors and positions on the PCM block. The only problem is that thye number them and I can't find the numbers on the sensors. I'll try Autozone the see if that helps. Thanks for your help, Tracy.
10-05-2009 06:08 PM
mike Offline

If they number the wires in the diagram, that's usually the number of the terminal at the PCM. You should be able to unplug the terminal block, and if you look closely, find the numbering for each wire.

But barring that, you can still get the wire colors and find your signal wires that way too.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-06-2009 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
albi1cnobi1 Offline

Hi Tracy,
I have a 99 as well and you're right there's no way to get it from below. However the number on the pin in the diagram in the manual is the pin number on the PCM. If you pull off the black plastic cover on the harness and look directly on the PCM plug (look closely, they're small) it is numbered. That is where I tied my EFIE in, it's much easier up there. To double check when you think you have the right pin, match the wire color to what the manual says. Good luck, if I can help at all just let me know.

Al
10-08-2009 01:32 PM