Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iGNITION LIVE
Hydro-Cell UK Offline

iGNITION LIVE
Hi all

I am trying to wire up my HHO system on a 26 ton Dennis lorry it is a 24volt system and when i wire up my cells they over heat and the wiring gets far to hot! because of the ampage and it keeps on blowing fuses.

So i want to try and wire it up as a 12volt system and the only thing that is stopping me is getting a 12v Ignition LIVE to my 12v 30amp relay but i am unsure if any lorry/truck has a 12v Ignition live supply or is it all 24volts! please help!Blush
01-29-2010 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
richkat Offline
richard

RE: iGNITION LIVE
If you really want 12 v on a 24 v truck , you need to go thru a voltage dropper [ kiwi slang ] and this gives you a lower amp 12 v ,some droppers max at 6 amps some go to 20 amps, or , tap off the side of one of your batteries , prefer the last battery pos on the one that connects to earth .. The down side of the battery tap is , this battery will wear out faster if you don,t rotate them regularly .. The other way is to use 24 v and choke it down to lower amps ..

Richard Auckland New Zealand
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2010 11:51 PM by richkat.)
01-29-2010 11:48 PM
benny Offline

(01-29-2010 11:48 PM)richkat Wrote:  If you really want 12 v on a 24 v truck , you need to go thru a voltage dropper [ kiwi slang ] and this gives you a lower amp 12 v ,some droppers max at 6 amps some go to 20 amps, or , tap off the side of one of your batteries , prefer the last battery pos on the one that connects to earth .. The down side of the battery tap is , this battery will wear out faster if you don,t rotate them regularly .. The other way is to use 24 v and choke it down to lower amps ..

Very bad idea using one 12V battery from a dual battery 24V system. As pointed out, one or other of your batteries will die pretty quickly, due to uneven charge state of the batteries. Either of two things will happen.
One battery will be overcharged, or will be undercharged compared to the other. ie you will have unbalanced charging/discharging of the pair of batteries. In either case one or other will die fairly quickly.

I've seen 6 out of 6 batteries in a fleet of 6 trucks dying within a matter of days when the drivers, without consulting the mechanics, each installed personal 12V CB radios across one battery in their individual trucks.

If you can't get a suitable voltage dropper, you might want to look at putting two HHO generators, built for 12V use, in series, or use an HHO generator configured to run on a 24V system. Either that or at least use a suitable PWM to limit the avarage current to your unit from a 24V supply. Save yourself a lot of grief.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2010 02:19 AM by benny.)
01-30-2010 02:13 AM
abe Offline

The trolling motor on my boat is 12 24. With a flip or a switch I can change from in line to in series.Changing from 12 to 24 using both batteries all the time.This way I don't run one battery down when on 12 volts. Would this work for you.
01-30-2010 06:15 AM
Hydro-Cell UK Offline

Hi all
Many thanks for all your feed back One idea i had was to use a 24v 30A relay and connect the Ignition live 24v at connection 86 then connect one battery 12v to connection 30 and negitive to connection 85 and then would i get i 12v supply from connection 87 If that would work then i would run 2 x cells from one battery and 1 cell from the other battery????????? it all works fine with the 12v wiring from one battery but i cant get a 12v ignition live!Crazy
01-30-2010 11:59 AM
benny Offline

(01-30-2010 11:59 AM)Hydro-Cell UK Wrote:  Hi all
Many thanks for all your feed back One idea i had was to use a 24v 30A relay and connect the Ignition live 24v at connection 86 then connect one battery 12v to connection 30 and negitive to connection 85 and then would i get i 12v supply from connection 87 If that would work then i would run 2 x cells from one battery and 1 cell from the other battery????????? it all works fine with the 12v wiring from one battery but i cant get a 12v ignition live!Crazy

You will still have an unbalanced charge/discharge rate with this setup. Eventually one or other of your batteries will fail.
Batteries for vehicle use don't like deep discharge state, nor do they like being excessively overcharged.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2010 03:41 AM by benny.)
01-31-2010 03:39 AM
Gary Offline

As an ex-trucker, I'm confused. You must be overseas to us. Our trucks in the US have 24 volt starting systems as I recall, but all other systems in the truck are 12v. I never had to get any transformers to plug in my CB, refrigerator, microwave or anything else, unless I needed 110v, where I used an inverter.
Have you even checked out the circuits with a voltmeter? It sort of sounded like you didn't.
02-06-2010 07:16 AM
benny Offline

(02-06-2010 07:16 AM)Gary Wrote:  As an ex-trucker, I'm confused. You must be overseas to us. Our trucks in the US have 24 volt starting systems as I recall, but all other systems in the truck are 12v. I never had to get any transformers to plug in my CB, refrigerator, microwave or anything else, unless I needed 110v, where I used an inverter.
Have you even checked out the circuits with a voltmeter? It sort of sounded like you didn't.

Refrigerator? Confused
Microwave? Crazy
Most of the trucks here in the UK are not built as mobile homes for the driver.

Interstate here generally means being somewhere twixt boredom and waking up.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2010 10:55 AM by benny.)
02-07-2010 10:54 AM
Gary Offline

A man's gotta EAT! Over here we live in them 2-8 weeks at a time.
02-07-2010 03:26 PM
larryp7639 Offline

(01-30-2010 02:13 AM)benny Wrote:  
(01-29-2010 11:48 PM)richkat Wrote:  If you really want 12 v on a 24 v truck , you need to go thru a voltage dropper [ kiwi slang ] and this gives you a lower amp 12 v ,some droppers max at 6 amps some go to 20 amps, or , tap off the side of one of your batteries , prefer the last battery pos on the one that connects to earth .. The down side of the battery tap is , this battery will wear out faster if you don,t rotate them regularly .. The other way is to use 24 v and choke it down to lower amps ..

Very bad idea using one 12V battery from a dual battery 24V system. As pointed out, one or other of your batteries will die pretty quickly, due to uneven charge state of the batteries. Either of two things will happen.
One battery will be overcharged, or will be undercharged compared to the other. ie you will have unbalanced charging/discharging of the pair of batteries. In either case one or other will die fairly quickly.

I've seen 6 out of 6 batteries in a fleet of 6 trucks dying within a matter of days when the drivers, without consulting the mechanics, each installed personal 12V CB radios across one battery in their individual trucks.

If you can't get a suitable voltage dropper, you might want to look at putting two HHO generators, built for 12V use, in series, or use an HHO generator configured to run on a 24V system. Either that or at least use a suitable PWM to limit the avarage current to your unit from a 24V supply. Save yourself a lot of grief.

Thanks you for the post.

06-30-2010 01:28 AM