Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
idle controll censor
01olds Offline

idle controll censor
HI about the idle air controll censor ( I A T)...if this post needs to be moved thats ok.too..... since i have did some mods on most fuel tripper maf, map ect. censors lately the I A T censor has been acting up engine at idle tends to speed up & slow down on like its own its possed Gasp LOL & i now put a 3.9 ohm resistor parelle line . at the Iat censor wire... with the most volts....... now so far that seems to be working ..just a tid bit to see if any one here has did that trick too.....any corrective advice welcome thanks Big Grin
06-01-2008 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: idle controll censor
01olds,

I think you may have a few things mixed up. The idle air control is a valve, not a sensor. It doesn't sense anything. it is controlled by the ECU depending on many factors. The IAT that you mention is the Intake Air Temp sensor, this does what it says and reads the intake air. This is the sensor you want to modify to fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is hotter than it actually is. Depending on your sensor type, you will need to either add or remove resistance to do this.

If your idle speed is surging, you may have a vacuum leak, how is your H in tube going into the intake?

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
06-01-2008 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01olds Offline

HI thank you but i know what i am talking adout maybe you should do some more home work
06-01-2008 10:26 AM
AlexR Offline

01olds Wrote:HI thank you but i know what i am talking adout maybe you should do some more home work

Easy there - I'm just trying to help, you did ask for advice.....

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
06-01-2008 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tonyc860 Offline

01olds Wrote:HI about the idle air controll censor ( I A T)...if this post needs to be moved thats ok.too..... since i have did some mods on most fuel tripper maf, map ect. censors lately the I A T censor has been acting up engine at idle tends to speed up & slow down on like its own its possed Gasp LOL & i now put a 3.9 ohm resistor parelle line . at the Iat censor wire... with the most volts....... now so far that seems to be working ..just a tid bit to see if any one here has did that trick too.....any corrective advice welcome thanks Big Grin

I did the same on my f150 except I put a 220 ohm resistor on. The truck no longer stalls at idle and does not stall when the RPMs suddenly change. What I did read is that the IAC circuit is detecting a greater air flow or a vacuum leak reducing the engine RPM's and that is what is causing the erratic idle or stalling. However, Adding the resistor will slightly change the time in the engine and stay within the ranges of the ECU. If this does not work my CEL will appear btween 30-100 miles. Nothing on yet but it is still early. I'll check back after a few more miles.

Tony
2003 Volvo v70 2.5L turbo
2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L v6
2005 F150 4.6 ltr-No longer Thank God!Smile
12-12-2008 08:41 PM
thomasbala Offline

01olds Wrote:HI about the idle air controll censor ( I A T)...if this post needs to be moved thats ok.too..... since i have did some mods on most fuel tripper maf, map ect. censors lately the I A T censor has been acting up engine at idle tends to speed up & slow down on like its own its possed Gasp LOL & i now put a 3.9 ohm resistor parelle line . at the Iat censor wire... with the most volts....... now so far that seems to be working ..just a tid bit to see if any one here has did that trick too.....any corrective advice welcome thanks Big Grin
01Olds:

Rarely is there a reason to modify the Intake Air Sensor (IAT). If you add resistance you retard timing. To advance timing you're looking at either a different IAT or a complex electronic modification. I see no reason to modify a perfectly good sensor that has little to do with an HHO modification. Your modifications are better spent on EFIE's, reducing alternator drag, PWM's, resonance and even MAF/MAP enhansors [as useless as I think they are; because O2 sensors rule]. The formula is simple: sufficient HHO + EFIE = mpg gain.
12-12-2008 10:31 PM
tonyc860 Offline

ok, so I needed to see it first hand. My mpg went to about 10. i removed the resistor and I reconnected as factor again.

Tony
12-14-2008 02:53 PM
thomasbala Offline

tonyc860 Wrote:ok, so I needed to see it first hand. My mpg went to about 10. i removed the resistor and I reconnected as factor again.
Tony:
The best way to learn is by making mistakes, hopefully avoiding the fatal mistakes that could burn up your vehicle or cost you an engine. It took Tom Edison over 800 mistakes to finally come up with a filament that would last long enough and incandese bright enough to invent the light bulb. There is no progress without mistakes. Nice thing about learning from mistakes is you never forget the lesson. Keep up the good work. Have you read the doc "Tuning For Mileage" on this board? It's loaded with good info. Good luck and may all of us learn from your mistakes and you learn from our mistakes. Together we just might beat big oil.
12-14-2008 03:36 PM
tonyc860 Offline

thomasbala Wrote:
tonyc860 Wrote:ok, so I needed to see it first hand. My mpg went to about 10. i removed the resistor and I reconnected as factor again.
Tony:
The best way to learn is by making mistakes, hopefully avoiding the fatal mistakes that could burn up your vehicle or cost you an engine. It took Tom Edison over 800 mistakes to finally come up with a filament that would last long enough and incandese bright enough to invent the light bulb. There is no progress without mistakes. Nice thing about learning from mistakes is you never forget the lesson. Keep up the good work. Have you read the doc "Tuning For Mileage" on this board? It's loaded with good info. Good luck and may all of us learn from your mistakes and you learn from our mistakes. Together we just might beat big oil.

Thanks for the encouragement. As I posted on another thread, I believe with the f150 (and maybe all fords) the IAC circuit is the sensor to beat. The problem is that is mechanical, and I have not found anyone with a successful mod for it. When the IAC doesn't throw the CEL MPG is a gain, as soon as it goes on you are back in the low teens.

I have been working on this project for about 9 months now and I have seen alot of foward progress. When I get past the IAC, I'll be golden.

Tony
12-15-2008 05:22 AM
AlexR Offline

thomasbala Wrote:Rarely is there a reason to modify the Intake Air Sensor (IAT). If you add resistance you retard timing. To advance timing you're looking at either a different IAT or a complex electronic modification. I see no reason to modify a perfectly good sensor that has little to do with an HHO modification.

The above is simply not true. While the IAT sensor may not need to be modded in every vehicle, I think it is key to many applications.

Telling the ECU the intake air is hotter than it actually is is beneficial. Brown's Gas acts like a catalyst in the combustion chamber increasing the speed of combustion. Retarding the timing helps to insure the combustion does not happen too early and push down on a piston that is still on the upward stroke.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
12-15-2008 12:52 PM