Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
installation of the efie
tanahiro Offline

installation of the efie
hi, friend i recieved the system today and i tried to installed but, which oxyg. sensor cable is. my oxyg. s. have 4 cable, 2 black, one blue and one white. i think that the blue cable is the correct one because when i make the probe with the volt meter it said .30 positive volt all the time in close mode. i do this putting the red cable of the volt meter in the blue and the black cable in the white. did i doing right? is correct that .30volts stay all the time? or is suppost to change? thanks for your future answer.

sorry for errors. english is my sencond language.
01-26-2008 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: installation of the efie
No problems on the language, I can understand you fine.

I think you have hooked up your meter incorrectly. You should measure all 4 wires to ground (red wire to the wire you're testing, black wire to the engine or body). We don't know what the white wire is, so we don't know what the meter reading means when you use it to in your measurement of the blue wire.

Please see the Installation Instruction, step 1.

Basically, with 4 wires, 2 should read 0 volts, 1 should read 12 volts, and 1 (the signal wire) should read approx 4 to 5 volts average, but should be changing all the time. Note that the oxygen sensor needs to be warmed up before the signal wire will read correctly.

Please write back if you don't understand or still have trouble with this.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2008 02:10 PM by mike.)
01-26-2008 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tanahiro Offline

well mike.
first thank for your time.

i check the oxygen sensor connector, i disconnect it and turn on the ignition. then i check the voltage in each of the hole connector. i put the red cable of the volt meter in each hole of the oxyg. connector and the black cable in the chasi of the car. the result one is 12v but the other 3 are variable. one 3.36v the other one 3.01v and other 2.64 volts. then i connect the oxygen and turn on the car, the result was: the ones that was 3.36v and 3.01v stay the same the only one that change was the one that was 2.64v now change to 10.71 and variable. but i am very frustrated because i went to mechanic and he told me that one of the 3.36v is suppost to be the cable who send the signal to the compu. but this one never change.
01-26-2008 07:46 PM
mike Offline

Ok, got it. I can see why you got frustrated.

It doesn't matter what the mechanic says, the oxygen sensor is the one that is variable. BUT before we decide that we'd better figure out why you're getting 3 volts on the other 2 wires. This shouldn't be the case. You definitely want to take these readings with the oxygen sensor hooked up, and the car running. You should have a probe that can pierce the insulation to make contact with the wire. You won't get correct readings on the signal wire, unless it's hooked up to the oxygen sensor.

Try connecting a wire to your battery ground, and using that, instead of the chasis. The only thing I can think of is that the chasis, where you are connecting to it, is not a good ground connection. So try measuring from the battery.

If that doesn't make the readings come out the way we expect, you might want to order your electrical diagrams from ahdol.com. It's only $4 for the diagram you need, and $11 for all the diagrams for your car. They email it to you, usually the same day, although they may not do it on Sunday.

But make your tests as described above, and see if the readings don't make more sense. Please let me know how that goes.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-26-2008 10:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tanahiro Offline

hi, mike.
look what i found in the haynes repair manual.

1. all vehicles covered by thsi manual have on-board diagnostics II engine management systems, which means that they have the ability to verify the accuracy of the basic feedback loop between the oxygen sensor and the pcm. they accomplish this by using an oxygen sensor or air/fuel sensor ahead of the catalytic converter and an oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter. By sampling the exhaust gas before and after the catalytic converter, the pcm can determine the efficiency of the converter and can even predict when it will fail.
2. the primay (upstream) oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust manifold and the secondary (downstream) oxygen sensor is located behind the catalytic converter. The downstream sensor on all models is a heated oxygen sensor. Some models are equipped with a heated upstream oxygen sensor. The upstream sensor is an air/fuel sensor.
3. Don't confuse oxygen sensors and air/fuel sensors. They're similar in appeareance, but they operate differently and have differenct operating characteristics. Like an oxygen sensor, the air/fuel sensor provides a variable voltage output to the pcm that's proportional to the air/fuel mixture ratio in the exhaust stream. the air/fuel sensor doesn't "switch" back and forth like an oxygen sensor at the 14.7 to 1 stoichiometric threshold. instead, it alters a PCM-controlled voltage between 3.3 volts (at the positive PCM terminal for the air/fuel sensor) and 3.0 volts ( at the negative PCM terminal for the air/fuel sensor) in direct proportion to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. As the air/fuel mixture in the exhaust becomes leaner, the air/fuel sensor voltage increases (within its operating range of 3.0 to 3.3 volts). like an oxygen sensor, the air/fuel sensor has heating element that enables it to warm up quickly.

then with this info. whick one i have to use?
01-27-2008 11:12 AM
mike Offline

Unfortunately, you have a wide band sensor, which they call an "air/fuel sensor". The complete name is "wide range air/fuel sensor" (WRAF). You can find out more about them here.

They are saying an air/fuel sensor is not the same as an oxygen sensor, and this is correct. The EFIE cannot work with wide band sensors, unless the computer uses a narrow band style output, which some do, but most don't. I suspect yours doesn't as you only have 4 wires.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Further, I'm not aware of any circuit that modifies wide range sensor's output the way an EFIE does for narrow band oxygen sensors. So I don't even know where to refer you.

If you wish to return your EFIE, I will give you your money back, if it is in resell-able condition. If it is scratched or modified somehow, I will give you a partial refund if I can sell it as an "open-box" model. I will do my best to make sure you get as much money back as possible.

As a result of this, I'm going to get an article written to help people identify wide-range sensors, and hopefully avoid this situation in the future.

I'm sorry for your trouble. Please let me know what your want to do.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-27-2008 12:18 PM
tanahiro Offline

in this case my hho system will not work in my car?
01-27-2008 12:38 PM
mike Offline

It's worth a try. But the computer will work against the fuel savings you could get, to some degree. Your mpg may improve. It may stay the same. And it may get worse. If you've read my documents on the EFIE, you'll understand why.

I would go ahead and try it without the EFIE and see what mileage you get.

On another note, I'm studying up on wide band sensors. I'm not sure that the EFIE won't work on them. Let me study up on them a bit more and I'll post again here, probably tomorrow on what I find. So far, I'm reading that they use both a voltage AND a current to convey information to the computer. Well, the EFIE can adjust the voltage, but it's not designed to modify the current. However, I'm seeing some conflicting reports about whether they use the variable current or not. I think some do, and some don't. As I say, I need to look into it further.

What make/model is your car? Do you happen to know the part number for your air/fuel sensor? We may get lucky, and your computer may be using the voltage on the input line, and if so, your EFIE will work fine. Let's not give up on it just yet.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-27-2008 02:47 PM
tanahiro Offline

i have a toyota Camry 2002 SE 4cyl.

OEM NO: 89467-33040 DENSO NO: 234-9028
Front Sensor Dealer List: $206.69 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
YEAR MAKE MODEL
2002-2004 TOYOTA Camry 2.4L, XLE, LE, SE,
2002-2004 TOYOTA Solara 2.4L

this is what i fount on ebay.
01-27-2008 03:00 PM
tanahiro Offline

the system is already installed in the car, but i didn't see any change. thats why bought the efie to see change. helpme please
01-27-2008 03:04 PM