Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
low amperage (and HHO production)
mtnhillsman Offline

low amperage (and HHO production)
I have built a custom variation of a Smack's booster. It is a 6 cell Acryllic box with 6 plates per cell (for a total of 36 plates). The plate material is the SS switch covers from lowe's.

After 2 cleansing cycles it is drawing 5.5 amps cold and about 7.5 hot(at this rate im producing .44 liters of hho per minute). The solution used for the last test was the stoongest i've tried so far, 32 ounces KOH to about 1.5 gallons distilled water (about 20 tablespoons).

If I use a set of alligator test leads off my battery charger(with a built in ammeter) and test one cell at a time (meaning i apply 12v to one cell of 6 plates) the amperage jumps off the chart(and the hho production seems to rage). This was a test to verify all my connections inside teh cell are sound (which im assuming this means yes).

As far as plate preparation, i sandblasted the plates with 54 grit silicone carbide blasting media. One concern that the media was a little too fine but it was all i could seem to locate at the time. Before sandblasting, i did remove the labels from the plates with gasoline, then washed them with soap & tap water. After sandblasting, another wash with soap & tap water, and then a final rinse with distilled water.

Could i have contaminated the plates with this process?? any other thoughts??
11-25-2008 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
live45 Offline

RE: low amperage (and HHO production)
I built a SMACKS booster back about 4 months ago, 18 plate with the double positive end plates. I'm sure you have seen the design. Only 1 1/2 spoons of koh put out 21 amps cold. The amount you are using is (off the chain)Shocked. How do you have your plates set up, + - n etc.
11-25-2008 09:01 PM
mtnhillsman Offline

I thought it was a bit strong....i was just upping it to see what happened.

There are no neutral plates. 6 plates per cell, in series, so each cell is:

plate 1,3,5 is positive
Plate 2, 4, 6 is negative
11-25-2008 09:08 PM
live45 Offline

Smacks usually start with set of plates seperated by a nylon washer. Each set is then attached to the next set by a stainless nut. four corresponding sets of 2 plates attached by the nuts. Eight plates with about 13.8 volts applied. double this for the 16 plate booster. The votage has to be applied to each set of 8 plates. I'm not familiar with a six plate Smack cell. If you are building individual cells with 6 plates, you might want to try +nnnn- configuration. One spoon koh to start. Do you have the voltage applied across each of you 6 cells?
11-25-2008 09:39 PM
mtnhillsman Offline

I guess callin it it a smack's would be a stretch. Here's how its wired.

@ 13.8 v, since the cells are in series, each set of 6 cells gets 2.3v.

I think you might be right about making some plates neutral. There are a few screws that penetrate the case in the bottom corners and i notice while running the cell more gas seems to come off the 1 screw thats exposed than comes off the plates(surface area wise).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2008 09:18 AM by mtnhillsman.)
11-26-2008 09:18 AM
live45 Offline

Here is some info. I think will help. It shows a variation of the cell you are building as well as the SMACK, HOTSABI, WEST, BOYCE, MEYER and schematics on EFIE, PWM, and other mind blowers.Crazy I copied all pages in chapter 10 back several months ago. (ALL INFO. WAS FREE).Laugh Close design to yours starts on page 31. One concern, built it. Like yours, it took alot of KOH. Not quite as much, about 5 spoons. Anyway, I changed the plate spacing, much closer using mono. weedeater string. The tank is now used for a pencil and crayon divider for my kids.Laugh I couldn't get the results they posted.Tongue Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck! http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapt10.html
11-26-2008 08:52 PM
mtnhillsman Offline

Damn, Thanks for that. Very helpful.

What size plates were you using with your model?? Turns out that a switchplate is 12.375 square inches and the plates they are using are 20 square inches. They claim 10 amps per 20 square inches(per cell). Based on that, with full solution I would top out at 18.56 amps with my 6 plates per cell.

They also say you need maximum conductivity in this design so mix a "full batch" of koh (28% by weight). A full container of Potassium Hydroxide from summer bee meadow is 32 ounces. A gallon and a half of water is 192 ounces. 28% of 192 is 53.76 ounces, almost 2 full containers of KOH.

So, originally, my "super strong" solution of about 20 tablespoons (2/3 of a container of KOH) is actually 1 fulll container short of a "full batch" Does this sound accurate??

The only other issue is how many amps can my connections inside the cell take. Since 12v is coming in at each end, and is spread out between 6 cells, the amperage is multiplied. With 6 cells, my voltage is 2.3 volts per cell. If im drawing 7.5 amps at 12 v, inside the cells that amperage would then be 45 amps. My thoughts are that if any of my connections were weak, they would not be able to handle the 45 amps and become very hot, since they're submerged it would go un-noticed since the electrolyte would constantly cool them. In that case, the resistance in this one or more potentially weak connections woudl be so high it would not allow any more current to flow. In a series cell like this I'd think one bad connection woudl trash the whole setup and give me the low amperage

Let me know if i'm way off on any of this...

What was the problem with your cell??
11-26-2008 09:59 PM
live45 Offline

The plates I used were 3x7 inches. Built tall and narrow so it would fit behind the grill. I closed the gap between the plates. Less gap let it conduct better. The 7.5 amps you read is total through all cells. It doesn't add directly making 45 amps. This design seems to need atleast 20 amps to produce. Those plates I mentioned were sacrificed to the Smack design. Used cold shrink around the whole cell. Wasn't bad, about 1.2lpm when warm at 20-21 amps. Made a reservoir for it, kept it under 150 degrees. Oh yea, I get confused on that mix they talk about. Crazy
11-26-2008 10:31 PM
live45 Offline

CORRECTION!! The SMACK was knocking down 25-26 amps with that production. My bad, built too many different cells.Crazy
11-26-2008 11:10 PM
Gary Offline

mtn: I think you're very correct in the assumption of one connection killing the unit. Point is, there should BE no bad connections, no 'iffy', no undersize, no room for doubt with connections. According to Boyce, you should have a capability of around 18 amps per cell, and if you're not close to that, the sheer volume of metal used won't put out much, from what some of us have found with experiments of late. It's a good design; I put money on a problem somewhere. One thing you can do is jump, or short out, a cell and see if production immediately starts up. That indicates your amps are too low. (you can just stick a screwdriver between two plates for a sec)
Are you powering from a charger or alternator? There can be a huge difference between those.
You could remove two plates per cell and lower your amp capability as well. I had built one with just 2 plates per cell and it did 1L/min. @ about 11-12 amps @ 110 degrees. Sat it down on the workbench one day to fix lid leaks and there was a pen laying there; acted like a roller and off the bench she came, like Humpty Dumpty.
The King's Men weren't interested.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-27-2008 06:21 AM