Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
lower lean-out limits?
lazymonty Offline

lower lean-out limits?
How do I know if I need to to put resistors on my iat and cts before i see results? does everyone need to lower their lean-out limits before they get better mpg's?

I have a 1998 gmc sierra 5.7 ltr.
06-20-2009 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: lower lean-out limits?
(06-20-2009 08:07 PM)lazymonty Wrote:  How do I know if I need to to put resistors on my iat and cts before i see results? does everyone need to lower their lean-out limits before they get better mpg's?

I have a 1998 gmc sierra 5.7 ltr.

Try the correct EFIE(s) for your vehicle first. See what your gains are. Then I'd go with the iat/cts temp sensors, then MAP/MAF if needed.

I saw some posts on here that a few people were having some problems getting gains on Chevy/GMC vehicles, I think that was a few years after your model though.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
06-24-2009 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lazymonty Offline

alex, thanks for responding. I have a duel efie installed and it seems to be working but even with my voltage set at around .050 volts it doesn't seem to alter the performance of the truck any... I thought it would cough and spit like it was starvin' or something?
06-24-2009 04:15 PM
colchiro Offline

.050 is about as low as you can go with the narrow band efies. Most people with good cells run closer to .200, a few even higher.

Is that reading after it warms up (at least 5 minutes)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-24-2009 07:09 PM
AlexR Offline

(06-24-2009 04:15 PM)lazymonty Wrote:  alex, thanks for responding. I have a duel efie installed and it seems to be working but even with my voltage set at around .050 volts it doesn't seem to alter the performance of the truck any... I thought it would cough and spit like it was starvin' or something?

0.050 volts is too low. Narrow-band O2 sensor?

Try this,

Drive down the highway with a friend either adjusting your EFIE, or driving for you so you can adjust the EFIE. Just drive a normal speed on as flat an area as you can reasonably find. Don't do both by yourself.

Have the person with the EFIE adjust it until the engine loses power. Take your time, maybe a 1/2 to full turn every minute or so to allow the EFIE and vehicles ECU adjust. Back it off until your power comes back and fine tune from there. Having a voltmeter hooked up while you do this will tell you where your EFIE is set at and helps to set both sides the same.

If you can't get to the point of losing power with an EFIE adjustment then the EFIE probably isn't hooked up correctly.

After you find this point some tweaking will be required to get smooth performance on both the hwy and city driving.

Let us know your results.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
06-25-2009 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Hey Alex. I like that idea! I might add it to the install instructions as a method to help people get their systems tweaked in.

Lazymonty, I usually do the temp sensors last, and in fact, I usually don't do them at all. My sequence is: 1) EFIEs, 2) MAF (or MAP, if no MAF), 3) Temp sensors. But usually if I haven't succeeded with the EFIEs and MAF, then I find there's something wrong somewhere and doing the temp sensors won't solve it. Once the real problem is found then the temp sensors become unnecessary. See HHO System Debug Checklist.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-26-2009 08:28 AM