Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
map vs. O2 enhancer
shawn Offline

map vs. O2 enhancer
I've been researching this out for days, and have yet to determine what is better. Can somebody please help direct me a little? What are the pro's and con's to each type of "enhancer?" Why would I use one and not the other, or why would I not use both?
07-22-2008 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
romulus Offline

RE: map vs. O2 enhancer
Im no expert but have been thru what you are going thru. I dont know what type of car you have so I will tell you my expierence. I have an 04 Tahoe 5.3l engine. I tried just a MAP enhancer alone, got not gains. Tried extenders with map enhancer, no gains. Got a Duel EFIE from Mike started to see gains (2mpg) It is not until I used both EFIE and the map enhancer that I finally saw 25mpg on a short run today, if that holds thats about 5mpg improvement. I think the rule of thumb is adjust the O2 sensors first then go on from there. Hope this helps
07-23-2008 04:59 PM
colchiro Offline

IMO the o2 is the king of sensors and answers to no-one. Other sensors just advise the ECU to go up/down a bit.

If you can't use an EFIE, then I'd tweak everything else.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-23-2008 05:13 PM
uj2 Offline

Having installed a map sensor adjuster with no gains then adding a maf sensor adjuster with no gains then using both together with no gains, bet you can't guess what I am installing next...

Just spent 2 hours with a meter and got very intimate with my AF ratio / O2 sensor and I'll spare you the visuals. Very interesting the way this is set up. The wiring diagrams call the sensor an AF ratio sensor but when disco'd from the ECU the output is in mvdc. The odd part (to me at least) is that the ECU feeds the sensor 2.45VDC which raises the signal wire between 2.45VDC to 3.45VDC. This is besides the heater wires.

Going to try a home-built EFIE on it this weekend...

EDIT: Just to be clear, the front sensor is labeled as an AF ratio sensor, the rear shows as an O2.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2008 05:56 PM by uj2.)
07-24-2008 05:54 PM
colchiro Offline

uj2, that's an air-fuel sensor and good luck finding an EFIE to work with that, (unless you have 5 wires).

EFIE's work with sensors that output 0-1 vdc.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-24-2008 06:23 PM
uj2 Offline

Well this is what I found tonight:

http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=1052
07-24-2008 06:39 PM