Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mpg research.com
fixityourselfer Offline

mpg research.com
hey guys, I found a website called mpgresearch.com ,.

it looks like it used to have much activity going on, but lately it's quite dead.
it also said that it had been attacked and partially destroyed by an outside force.
anyone know why it's so dead? what's up with that?
10-31-2009 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pinhead Offline

RE: mpg research.com
The "outside force" shut down and made the forums unusable for months in which time a lot of the user base abandoned the site. However, most of the "big" names that were there still post, though not nearly as frequently, as there isn't nearly as much of a user base.

Mike Holler (Tuning for mileage articles) was one of the big posters (and I believe a co-founder or something similar) but has gotten busy in fuel economy work lately and he doesn't frequent the forum nearly as much as he used to. A lot of the discussions were/are either directly or indirectly related to his work.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2009 10:55 PM by Pinhead.)
10-31-2009 10:54 PM
Ryanrpm Offline

I frequent that forum quite a bit...

So what was the history behind that forum? And what was this "outside force"? .....if anyones got time to explain in detail,,,

Purchased! The AquaThrustPlus. Installed on my engine: Tundra 4.7L

[Image: f_emp3hbpw24tm_bcf4d7d.jpg] [Image: f_d32qa8uwm_b9baaff.jpg]

My next mods: Envalve, Vapor Assist.
11-01-2009 05:25 AM
Pinhead Offline

Not sure exactly who the outside force was. They attacked the servers with various methods though I don't really remember the details as it's been quite a wile. DoS attacks were pretty common, which in-part caused the site to exceed their monthly allotted bandwidth.

I don't know if there's a lot of "history" behind the forum, other than the fact that for a while it was the best MPG forum on the 'net with some extremely experienced and dedicated forum members. It's sister site fueleconomytips.com held articles mostly written by MPGMike (Mike Holler) which detailed a plethora of methods to increase mileage. That site was under attack as well and unfortunately was taken down for good.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2009 02:43 PM by Pinhead.)
11-01-2009 07:26 AM
Ryanrpm Offline

(11-01-2009 07:26 AM)Pinhead Wrote:  Not sure exactly who the outside force was. They attacked the servers with various methods though I don't really remember the details as it's been quite a wile. DoS attacks were pretty common, which in-part caused the site to exceed their monthly allotted bandwidth.

I don't know if there's a lot of "history" behind the forum, other than the fact that for a while it was [b]the best[/i] MPG forum on the 'net with some extremely experienced and dedicated forum members. It's sister site fueleconomytips.com held articles mostly written by MPGMike (Mike Holler) which detailed a plethora of methods to increase mileage. That site was under attack as well and unfortunately was taken down for good.

That's a shame. Any guess's at who the attackers were? Just people who hated good fuel economy? People from the oil companies and auto manufacturers? Oh well.....here we are, carrying on the dream.

Was all the info from that fueleconomytips website lost also?

11-01-2009 01:08 PM
Pinhead Offline

Any guesses as to who the attackers were would be just guesses.

They probably have the articles saved somewhere but I don't think they're posted anywhere on the 'net.

I may contact MPGMike to see if I can get a copy of them to post on various forums; they're not doing anybody any good sitting in the far-reaches of some unused hard drive.
11-01-2009 02:45 PM
Ryanrpm Offline

(11-01-2009 02:45 PM)Pinhead Wrote:  Any guesses as to who the attackers were would be just guesses.

They probably have the articles saved somewhere but I don't think they're posted anywhere on the 'net.

I may contact MPGMike to see if I can get a copy of them to post on various forums; they're not doing anybody any good sitting in the far-reaches of some unused hard drive.

That would be appreciated by many, I'm sure. Thank you.

BTW, You seem to have been around quite awhile, but you don't have many posts. Doesn't mean anything......just something that caught my eye...........

11-01-2009 04:24 PM
Pinhead Offline

I generally spent most of my time going back-and-forth between MPGResearch when it was busy (>450 posts), GoFastNews.com when David Vizard and company was still posting articles (>250 posts), OUPower.com when Bob Boyce was pretty much running the place (>80 posts), and SOHC4.COM (>1350 posts). Between those four I couldn't keep up with any more.

Plus I like to read a lot before I post; I try not to say anything if I don't know what I'm talking about. Wink I haven't had many MPG projects going lately which is why I haven't posted a whole lot. Now that it's starting to get cold out I'll spend less time on my motorcycle and more time building and testing stuff. Smile

I'll be working-over a cylinder head for my motorcycle (using a few of MPGMike's tricks plus some others) and testing a HVDC biased ignition system for the same bike. Hopefully I'll be posting more often over the winter.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2009 06:11 PM by Pinhead.)
11-01-2009 06:05 PM