Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
need advice on a low maintanence cell for a classic car
HANK1948 Offline

need advice on a low maintanence cell for a classic car
Iam going to install in booster on my Dads classic 62' Nova. Hes not a very mechanically inclined guy and he lives 200 miles from me, so I wont be able to maintain it for him. Iam trying to figure out the best cell to build for him that wont require much attention, adding water and KOH wont be a problem, but I dont want to have him flushing it out all the time.

I would like to make one with a mason jar so it will look cool at the show and cruise in's and still get some mpg's out of it. The car is a base model Nova with a 194 cu.in. 6 cyl with 3 on the tree so it should be a 20+mpg car allready.

Any sugestions?

Wulframs is a mason jar set-up is that a good design?
06-24-2008 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: need advice on a low maintanence cell for a classic car
In my opinion none of the open-bath boosters are low maintenance. They have issues with overheating if you don't get everything just right. You have to always be checking it and maintaining it to get the most out of it.

A good closed-bath booster should do what you're looking for, but it will come with quite a price tag if purchasing a completed unit, or it will be lots of time if building it.

Unfortunately, this isn't for everyone, as there are various hurdles to overcome. Those who persist 'till the end usually get results.

Good luck with your decision!

HANK1948 Wrote:Iam going to install in booster on my Dads classic 62' Nova. Hes not a very mechanically inclined guy and he lives 200 miles from me, so I wont be able to maintain it for him. Iam trying to figure out the best cell to build for him that wont require much attention, adding water and KOH wont be a problem, but I dont want to have him flushing it out all the time.

I would like to make one with a mason jar so it will look cool at the show and cruise in's and still get some mpg's out of it. The car is a base model Nova with a 194 cu.in. 6 cyl with 3 on the tree so it should be a 20+mpg car allready.

Any sugestions?

06-24-2008 09:41 AM
HANK1948 Offline

A good closed-bath booster should do what you're looking for, but it will come with quite a price tag if purchasing a completed unit, or it will be lots of time if building it.

How about the Hydro super2? is that a low maintainence unit?
06-24-2008 10:02 AM
jksav7 Offline

I have no personal experience, so I can't comment on the maintenance aspect of the "super2". My only comment on that unit is that the manufacturer has seemingly grossly overexagerrated the hydroxy output numbers that it produces. But, there are reports of people using it with success (mileage gains).

HANK1948 Wrote:A good closed-bath booster should do what you're looking for, but it will come with quite a price tag if purchasing a completed unit, or it will be lots of time if building it.

06-24-2008 11:26 AM
skiers4ever Offline

HANK1948 Wrote:A good closed-bath booster should do what you're looking for, but it will come with quite a price tag if purchasing a completed unit, or it will be lots of time if building it.

Hi Hank1948, I'm using the Hydro Super 2 and basically the cleaning is a flush. Drain the system by opening the valve on the main unit, close the valve then add CLR to the reservoir. Let stand 15 minutes or so, drain again. Close valve and add distilled water and let stand for 5 minutes, then drain. Close valve and add mix. That's it.

Using baking soda and distilled water, one would probably have to clean it monthly....maybe every other month if using rain water. Using NaOH or KOH, maybe every 3 to 4 months...don't know yet but the mix is staying fairly clear so every 3 months is my guess for now.

Regarding production questions that jksav7 refers to, I don't know. I am going to try to test it Thursday. I hope to have results for everyone by then. It'll take a bit because I cut down my current mix quite a bit and running the unit at 6 amps cold and it goes to about 12 amps when hot. In order to properly test it per the maker, it needs to be at 16 to 18 amps between 145 and 155 degrees after 45 mins to an hour of on time with the engine running. So, I'll have to create a mix that will get me that high so I can perform test at his specs. No problem though.

Stay tuned...
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-24-2008 06:26 PM
timcameron Offline

Go to http://www.hydrofuelsolutions.com they work awesome on carb vehicles.

Good Luck,
Tim

HANK1948 Wrote:Iam going to install in booster on my Dads classic 62' Nova. Hes not a very mechanically inclined guy and he lives 200 miles from me, so I wont be able to maintain it for him. Iam trying to figure out the best cell to build for him that wont require much attention, adding water and KOH wont be a problem, but I dont want to have him flushing it out all the time.

Any sugestions?

06-24-2008 10:20 PM
snc22782 Offline

What is the difference between "open-bath" and "closed-bath"?
06-24-2008 11:14 PM
timcameron Offline

Open means there is air on the top of the cell (bad design)
Closed means the HHO and electrolyte go up a tube to a separator. Closed cell units circulate thru thermosiphon process thus cooling the cell and breaking the HHO off the plates for better production.

Hope this helps,

Tim

snc22782 Wrote:What is the difference between "open-bath" and "closed-bath"?
06-24-2008 11:34 PM
HANK1948 Offline

skiers4ever Wrote:

Hi Hank1948, I'm using the Hydro Super 2 and basically the cleaning is a flush. Drain the system by opening the valve on the main unit, close the valve then add CLR to the reservoir. Let stand 15 minutes or so, drain again. Close valve and add distilled water and let stand for 5 minutes, then drain. Close valve and add mix. That's it.

Using baking soda and distilled water, one would probably have to clean it monthly....maybe every other month if using rain water. Using NaOH or KOH, maybe every 3 to 4 months...don't know yet but the mix is staying fairly clear so every 3 months is my guess for now.

Regarding production questions that jksav7 refers to, I don't know. I am going to try to test it Thursday. I hope to have results for everyone by then. It'll take a bit because I cut down my current mix quite a bit and running the unit at 6 amps cold and it goes to about 12 amps when hot. In order to properly test it per the maker, it needs to be at 16 to 18 amps between 145 and 155 degrees after 45 mins to an hour of on time with the engine running. So, I'll have to create a mix that will get me that high so I can perform test at his specs. No problem though.

Stay tuned...
John

Thanks John,
So the Hydro seems like a good low maintainance unit. How long until you have to refill it? does the water get pretty dirty(rusty) quick or does it stay clear for awhile.

If my dad drives this car once or twice a week it seems like this unit wouldnt need much attention maybe once a month?
06-25-2008 01:04 AM
jksav7 Offline

No, that's not what it means. "Open-bath" refers to all the cells in a booster, whether wired in series or parallel, sharing the same bath of electrolyte. In a closed-bath system each cell has its own bath of electrolyte, which means that each cell is electrically isolated from the other cells. In open-bath boosters the voltage "leaks" through the electrolyte from one plate to any plate(s) it chooses, instead of only being applied from one plate to the plate next to it. This parasitic "leaking" voltage reduces efficiencies, which means more heat and less gas.

I know that's a pretty crappy explanation, but hopefully it helps some.

timcameron Wrote:Open means there is air on the top of the cell (bad design)
Closed means the HHO and electrolyte go up a tube to a separator. Closed cell units circulate thru thermosiphon process thus cooling the cell and breaking the HHO off the plates for better production.

Hope this helps,

Tim

snc22782 Wrote:What is the difference between "open-bath" and "closed-bath"?
06-25-2008 02:31 AM