Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
o2 sensor experiment
cmac0351 Offline

o2 sensor experiment
I thought of running a wire from my o2 sensor wire to a multimeter in the cab and monitoring the voltage put out by my o2 sensor. I could record the max voltage, check it at certain RPM's, etc to get a baseline.

Then, I could then run my generator and see if anything changes. According to the general theory, the voltage should be consistently lower, right. I know the voltage pulses, but I should still see this happen, correct? Am I thinking this out correctly?
07-15-2008 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: o2 sensor experiment
The voltage changes so much (and so fast), I doubt you'd have any useful information unless you were recording it on a computer and analyzing sections where your throttle was steady.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-15-2008 06:54 PM
cmac0351 Offline

What about at idol?

colchiro Wrote:The voltage changes so much (and so fast), I doubt you'd have any useful information unless you were recording it on a computer and analyzing sections where your throttle was steady.
07-16-2008 03:33 AM
texasdanml430 Offline

a digital voltmeter will blink different numbers, usually between .2 and .8 constantly. a high impedance analog voltmeter will swing the needle between the same voltage range, but you wont be able to get much of a 'reading' with it either. the 'best' way to look at it would be with an oscilloscope. its a fairly low frequency (1 to 5 hz) signal. at idle, the frequency is lower; revved up, higher; though the amplitude is about the same. probably the ultimate way would be to use a voltmeter that accurately averages in that frequency range. then you would have a number. we're talking old-fashioned narrow-band o2 sensors here, right?

good luck
07-16-2008 10:58 AM
cmac0351 Offline

Yeah, it's a narrow band heated o2 sensor.

texasdanml430 Wrote:a digital voltmeter will blink different numbers, usually between .2 and .8 constantly. a high impedance analog voltmeter will swing the needle between the same voltage range, but you wont be able to get much of a 'reading' with it either. the 'best' way to look at it would be with an oscilloscope. its a fairly low frequency (1 to 5 hz) signal. at idle, the frequency is lower; revved up, higher; though the amplitude is about the same. probably the ultimate way would be to use a voltmeter that accurately averages in that frequency range. then you would have a number. we're talking old-fashioned narrow-band o2 sensors here, right?

good luck
07-16-2008 07:00 PM