Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
o2 sensor hook up
franka Offline

o2 sensor hook up
my truck has 3 o2 sensors the book on my truck notes that the o2 sensors are heated the sensors have 4 wires checked the voltage to the sensor found 1 had 12V. 1 had no voltage . and 2 had low voltage how can you find the one that you need to hook up to
07-05-2008 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: o2 sensor hook up
The 12 volt and gnd are probably for the heater. You need to see what the other two are. See "What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor?" in my Documents link below.

What exactly is "my truck"? (year, model, engine)

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-05-2008 05:25 PM
franka Offline

colchiro Wrote:The 12 volt and gnd are probably for the heater. You need to see what the other two are. See "What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor?" in my Documents link below.

my truck is a 99 ford ranger 6 cyl
07-05-2008 05:54 PM
nismotekk Offline

franka Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:The 12 volt and gnd are probably for the heater. You need to see what the other two are. See "What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor?" in my Documents link below.

my truck is a 99 ford ranger 6 cyl

When you say low voltage, how low? What is the difference in voltage? Also remember when back probing the o2s, you will need to wait until the vehicle is in closed loop operation to get good voltage readings. Colchiro is right on the 12v wire is for the heater(the heater helps the vehicle to get into closed loop faster). I have access to alldata, which will give me the wiring diagram for your truck. My snap on modis scan tool will also do that. Let me know if diagrams are needed.
07-06-2008 06:22 AM
franka Offline

the voltage i was getting from the 2 other leads was up and down from less then 1 v to 1+ volts all less then 2v thats what the trouble is the book said from .01 to 1.1 the to ports were in that range
07-06-2008 06:30 AM
nismotekk Offline

franka Wrote:the voltage i was getting from the 2 other leads was up and down from less then 1 v to 1+ volts all less then 2v thats what the trouble is the book said from .01 to 1.1 the to ports were in that range

What size 6cyl 3 or 4 liter? I can help you, I just need to know the engine size.
07-06-2008 07:19 AM
franka Offline

3 liter
07-06-2008 07:28 AM
nismotekk Offline

franka Wrote:3 liter

Ok, your o2 sensor connector should be circular in shape. You will use the connector clip as a reference point to identify the pins and wires. The view I will describe to you will be from the harness side of the connector, not the sensor side. meaning you will be looking at the back of the connector on the harness side, as if you were back probing. With the connector clip facing up,#1 the upper left wire is ignition +, #2 the upper right wire is heater, #4 lower right is signal, #3 and lower left is signal return. You will want to cut the #3 wire signal return. This is the circiut that carries data back to the ECU. Back probe that wire first to watch voltage fluctuation to see if that is the right wire. let me know if you need more help
07-06-2008 08:56 AM
rpatzer Offline

nismotekk Wrote:
franka Wrote:3 liter

Ok, your o2 sensor connector should be circular in shape. You will use the connector clip as a reference point to identify the pins and wires. The view I will describe to you will be from the harness side of the connector, not the sensor side. meaning you will be looking at the back of the connector on the harness side, as if you were back probing. With the connector clip facing up,#1 the upper left wire is ignition +, #2 the upper right wire is heater, #4 lower right is signal, #3 and lower left is signal return. You will want to cut the #3 wire signal return. This is the circiut that carries data back to the ECU. Back probe that wire first to watch voltage fluctuation to see if that is the right wire. let me know if you need more help

Can you also confirm for me my wiring. I get good AFR meter readings, but am suspect about the EFIE readings. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cyl, 4.L- 4 wires.
07-06-2008 03:18 PM
franka Offline

thank you for the help it was what i needed
07-06-2008 03:49 PM