Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
o2 sensor question
cmac0351 Offline

o2 sensor question
Hey guys, great forum you have here!!!

I will be installing an HHO system on my '02 Rio soon. I have 2 o2 sensors and was wondering if I will need to play with both of them or just the first one. The following comes from the shop manual:

"FRONT HO2 SENSOR
The front (upstream) HO2 Sensor is located in the exhaust downpipe after the TWC and provides an input voltage to the ECM. The input tells the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. The ECM uses this information to fine-tune the air/fuel ratio by adjusting injector pulse width.

REAR HO2 SENSOR
The rear (downstream) HO2 Sensor is located near the outlet end of the catalytic converter. The rear HO2 Sensor input is used to detect catalytic converter deterioration. As the converter deteriorates, the input from the downstream sensor begins to match the upstream sensor input except for a slight time delay. By comparing the rear HO2 Sensor input to the input from the front sensor, the ECM calculates catalytic convertor efficiency."
05-24-2008 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: o2 sensor question
Welcome to the forum! The first sensor is all that matters.

cmac0351 Wrote:Hey guys, great forum you have here!!!

I will be installing an HHO system on my '02 Rio soon. I have 2 o2 sensors and was wondering if I will need to play with both of them or just the first one. The following comes from the shop manual:

"FRONT HO2 SENSOR
The front (upstream) HO2 Sensor is located in the exhaust downpipe after the TWC and provides an input voltage to the ECM. The input tells the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. The ECM uses this information to fine-tune the air/fuel ratio by adjusting injector pulse width.

REAR HO2 SENSOR
The rear (downstream) HO2 Sensor is located near the outlet end of the catalytic converter. The rear HO2 Sensor input is used to detect catalytic converter deterioration. As the converter deteriorates, the input from the downstream sensor begins to match the upstream sensor input except for a slight time delay. By comparing the rear HO2 Sensor input to the input from the front sensor, the ECM calculates catalytic convertor efficiency."
05-24-2008 10:20 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Thanks for that. I would also like to know if there is anywhere to get an o2 extender locally. Is it called by a different name in a hardware store perhaps?
05-26-2008 07:27 AM
evans80 Offline

I went to the local parts place and got two sparkplug extenders and drilled out the inside to 1/2 inch. Works great
These extenders are for cars fouling plugs from too much oil burn. Bob Evans
05-28-2008 10:49 AM
markvanh Offline

Hey guys, Glad to find this forum!

Planning to add HHO boost to my 07 Subaru Forester 2.5X. Got the service manual on CD and a Scangauage. I'm trying to determine what type of O2 sensor I have (wide or narrow band).

Under the hood I also have a front sensor and one in rear for the cat converter- both are 4-wire. The manual describes a "front oxygen A/F sensor" (attachments) says that with engine idling the front sensor + and - signal wires will range between 2.35V and 2.9V. But also (confusing) apparently the front O2 A/F sensor has 2 heater signal wires that range 1-14V during idle.

Think it's safe to say this is an old school narrow band sensor, controllable by EFIE?
-Mark

07 Subaru Forester 2.5X non-Turbo Auto Trans
05-28-2008 03:00 PM
colchiro Offline

A/F sounds a lot like air/fuel sensor, which is not compatible with any current versions of the EFIE.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-28-2008 03:36 PM