Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
open loop
striker273 Offline

open loop
Is it common for my Honda to go into open loop when climbing hills and high rpm? I have changed out both O2 sensors and my efie is currently set at 250mv no improvements, I have gone from 100 all the way to 450mv with no cel or rough running. I also don't get a cel when I disconnect the efie.

1999 Honda Civic Lx.
1.6 liter
21 plate 4"x4" dry cell
single efie
1 lpm @ 19 amps
NaOH electrolyte
01-17-2009 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: open loop
It's common for open loop when cold starting and when more power is needed, which is usually steep hills and accelerating. It's possible that going too lean could cause that.

I'm concerned your efie isn't isn't installed correctly since you should be able to cause some kind of chaos by cranking it up high. Did you connect at the sensor or at the ecu? Is this the deluxe efie with the jacks on the front?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-17-2009 10:21 AM
striker273 Offline

(01-17-2009 10:21 AM)colchiro Wrote:  It's common for open loop when cold starting and when more power is needed, which is usually steep hills and accelerating. It's possible that going too lean could cause that.

I'm concerned your efie isn't isn't installed correctly since you should be able to cause some kind of chaos by cranking it up high. Did you connect at the sensor or at the ecu? Is this the deluxe efie with the jacks on the front?

at the ecu But im not 100 % convinced I have it right maybe I should hook it up at the o2 sensor I have only the circut board but have installed alligator clips to hook to my volt meter. Also does the distance from the generator and the to the engine matter. I have the gen in the trunk with about 11 ft of 3/8 hose.

1999 Honda Civic Lx.
1.6 liter
21 plate 4"x4" dry cell
single efie
1 lpm @ 19 amps
NaOH electrolyte
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2009 10:56 AM by striker273.)
01-17-2009 10:33 AM
colchiro Offline

If you check the o2 sensor output, you should get a quickly changing voltage between .1 and .9 volts DC. This is measured with your red probe in the black efie jack and the black probe to the car chassis. If you don't have the deluxe (that's why I asked Wink), you'd check the voltage from your green efie wire to ground.

Length does matter. If your wire size is too small, you'll get a low voltage on your cell. You can check that with your voltmeter across the cell terminals. Ideally you'd have about 14 volts, but with a long run you should have a minimum of 12.

Also, the longer your run, the more places you could have a leak. Have you checked for leaks with soapy water brushed across the connections?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-17-2009 10:55 AM
striker273 Offline

(01-17-2009 10:55 AM)colchiro Wrote:  If you check the o2 sensor output, you should get a quickly changing voltage between .1 and .9 volts DC. This is measured with your red probe in the black efie jack and the black probe to the car chassis. If you don't have the deluxe (that's why I asked Wink), you'd check the voltage from your green efie wire to ground.

Length does matter. If your wire size is too small, you'll get a low voltage on your cell. You can check that with your voltmeter across the cell terminals. Ideally you'd have about 14 volts, but with a long run you should have a minimum of 12.

Also, the longer your run, the more places you could have a leak. Have you checked for leaks with soapy water brushed across the connections?

Im running 10 guage wire the voltage is fine. Im about 90% sure about leaks. I will check again. Im going out right now to double check my efie.

1999 Honda Civic Lx.
1.6 liter
21 plate 4"x4" dry cell
single efie
1 lpm @ 19 amps
NaOH electrolyte
01-17-2009 11:00 AM
colchiro Offline

I agree, I'd start with the efie.

Also you should be producing about 1 LPM per 2 L of engine size so you should confirm your output.

Rick

01-17-2009 11:05 AM
striker273 Offline

(01-17-2009 11:05 AM)colchiro Wrote:  I agree, I'd start with the efie.

Also you should be producing about 1 LPM per 2 L of engine size so you should confirm your output.

I just checked an and i am getting the readings you asked for between the green and ground I also took it up to 450mv again with no cel light rough running could it be a defective efie.

1999 Honda Civic Lx.
1.6 liter
21 plate 4"x4" dry cell
single efie
1 lpm @ 19 amps
NaOH electrolyte
01-17-2009 11:42 AM
colchiro Offline

If you're getting a reading between your black and red jacks on your efie, it's working.

Also, if you unplug your o2 sensor (at the sensor) and your o2 reading (black to ground) goes to zero, it sounds like you have the correct wire. On my Toyota, the o2 sensor wire connected to the harness right on top of the engine so very easy to unplug.

Rick

01-17-2009 12:28 PM
striker273 Offline

are you talking about just the signal wire or unplug the o2 sensor itself. If I don't get any response when I kick the milivolts up could the efie be bad.

1999 Honda Civic Lx.
1.6 liter
21 plate 4"x4" dry cell
single efie
1 lpm @ 19 amps
NaOH electrolyte
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2009 04:54 PM by striker273.)
01-17-2009 04:51 PM
colchiro Offline

Like I said, if measuring your offset (blk probe in blk efie jack, red in red) gives you a reading, the efie is good. If it was bad you wouldn't read 450 mv, you'd get zero or some value that didn't change.

I was referring to unplugging your o2 sensor. I would think a few feet from the sensor (which should be on the exhaust somewhere), there should be a connector where it plugs into the wiring harness. I would think it'd be in the engine compartment somewhere.

Rick

01-17-2009 07:21 PM