Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
open loop or close help
irving Offline

open loop or close help
Hi mike I just installed a magdrive on my motorhome with your fuel saver I am trying to adjust the saver what do I look for when adjusting the settings? I know better gas mileage but what do I look for, I have a gas/air gauge that work with theO2 sensor how do I know if it is on open loop or close? Does the reading stay on one number ex. 15 or it has to be changing?:question:
12-20-2007 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: open loop or close help
First of all, I've written a new article you should read called, How to Read Your EFIE. Go ahead and read that first.

If this doesn't help you, then it means I have not understood your question well enough to answer it yet, and you'll have to try re-posting. I don't know how to tell you how to tell if your computer is in open or closed loop operation. It the computer and sensor are both operational, the computer will go into closed loop as soon as the sensor warms up enough to produce valid voltages.

When you add an EFIE to the equation, the computer will still remain in closed loop operation, unless you set the EFIE too high, such as setting it to .5 volts or more. In this case the computer will think the sensor is damaged, and will go into open loop. However, it will also turn on a "check engine" light, and if you can read the engine codes, it will tell you that the oxygen sensor is faulty.

However, if you run the EFIE at (for instance) .25 volts, this will not cause this situation to occur. It will just shift the levels of oxygen that the computer "sees" in the exhaust so that the computer will not mess up the increased fuel efficiency that your MagDrive is producing. If you continue to raise the EFIE setting, after you stop getting better gas mileage, you will eventually trigger the computer to go into open loop again, and at this point, your gas mileage will get significantly worse (although it may take a while before the engine light comes on). The thing to do in this case is to go back to the previous setting that had the best gas mileage, and leave it there.

Please post again, if I haven't answered your questions.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-20-2007 05:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
irving Offline

Hi mike I just was playing with the fuel saver I adjusted the volt to 500 but when I try it the eng did not work right it lost acceleration and power and the eng light came on, so I did back it to 400 and it is working fine. I do have a question on my air/fuel gauge it read 14 to 13.5 what I am looking at?? Is this what the computer is reading?? Or is the comp injecting more fuel because is lean?:question:
12-20-2007 05:22 PM
mike Offline

First of all, I usually like to start with lower settings and work my way up. Your next setting should probably be lower than .400. Only if you get worse mileage with lower settings should you try a higher value. But go up slowly from .400. That's pretty high.

Regarding what your air/fuel gauge is telling you, I don't have enough data to answer the question. It depends on where the gauge is hooked up in relation to the EFIE. It sounds like it's connected between the EFIE and the oxygen sensor, and is therefore reading the actual air/fuel mixture. If it were connected between the EFIE and the computer, it should be reading 14.7, as that is the value that the computer is "trying" to maintain.

Does that make sense?

Visit Our Documents Page
12-20-2007 05:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01olds Offline

HI SOME OF MY MOST RECEINT OBSERVATIONS .... ABOUT MY DUAL EFIE DEVICE ARE SORTA PUZZLING TO ME NOW ITS WINTER TIME . I HAVE TRIED SETTING IT AT SAY 350MV COLD ENGINE HOWEVER AFTER ENGINE IS WARMED UP AFTER SAY ABOUT 3 HOURS CONSTANT INTERSTATE DRIVING I GET OPEN LOOP MODE I CHECK THE EFIE SETTINGS !WELL THERE REALLY HIGH LIKE 800- 1000 MV.. I THOUGHT I HAD IT SET RIGHT.. WASNT AS I FOUND OUT ..WOW SEEMS LIKE EVER THING I THOUGHT I UNDERSTAND.. WASNT TOTAT CORRECT!!...SO I REALLY DONT KNOW NOW !! MAYBE I NEED TO RESET IT BACK TO A MUCH LOWER SETTING TO WHAT MAYBE 200MV..... ANY SUGGESTIONS OH AND YES I HAVE THE DEVICE LOCATED ON CAR DASH....TEMPS ARE STABLE THANKS IN ADVANCE
01-14-2008 09:03 AM
mike Offline

The EFIE will read lower when it is in a cold environment. It is best to locate it somewhere warm, and the passenger compartment will of course work fine. I have mine mounted in the upper rear of the engine compartment, where engine heat gets trapped. But regardless, you want to read it when it's warmed up well. If it's 35 degrees out, and you turn on your accessory switch, and then set the EFIE, it'll be way too high, because as it warms up, it'll raise it's voltage. So set it after it's good and warm.

I think that's all you have going on there. Please do the above, and let me know if that fixes things for you.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-14-2008 09:09 AM