Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
optimum plate size
fixityourselfer Offline

optimum plate size
looks like the ss316 plates are going to be the most expensive part of my gen.

before i order, can anyone say whether i'm more likely to see success with a 6"x6" setup, over a 4"x4" setup?

its just that if a 4x4 setup turns out not to be large enough, it would be a pity to have to start all over again in 6x6.

should i go 6x6 just to be "sure"?

my (volvo) engine size is 2.3L (turbo). thanks alot everyone
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2009 11:51 AM by fixityourselfer.)
05-19-2009 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tonyc860 Offline

RE: optimum plate size
(05-19-2009 11:50 AM)fixityourselfer Wrote:  looks like the ss316 plates are going to be the most expensive part of my gen.

before i order, can anyone say whether i'm more likely to see success with a 6"x6" setup, over a 4"x4" setup?

its just that if a 4x4 setup turns out not to be large enough, it would be a pity to have to start all over again in 6x6.

If you have the space for a 6x6 then go that route. I have pretty much the same car. There is only 1 spot I can think of that will fit the unit nicely. On the firewall to the left of the turbo inlet. Unless your car is different, think that is the best. The other option is a 4x6. All in all, it is about surface area. More surface area can produce more hho than lesser area, with less amperage, however, 2.3 liter is not going to require alot to see results. Worse case, you run a 6x6 , based on sid's #'s 11 6x6 plates will produce 1 lpm at 20 amps. When I had my truck, I built my 28 plate system off his design and the #'s were pretty accurate. The math is pretty easy, 16 sq inches or 36 sq inches. More than double.

Where are you going to mount this?

Tony
2003 Volvo v70 2.5L turbo
2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L v6
2005 F150 4.6 ltr-No longer Thank God!Smile
05-19-2009 02:06 PM
fixityourselfer Offline

(05-19-2009 02:06 PM)tonyc860 Wrote:  
(05-19-2009 11:50 AM)fixityourselfer Wrote:  looks like the ss316 plates are going to be the most expensive part of my gen.

If you have the space for a 6x6 then go that route. I have pretty much the same car. There is only 1 spot I can think of that will fit the unit nicely. On the firewall to the left of the turbo inlet. Unless your car is different, think that is the best. The other option is a 4x6. All in all, it is about surface area. More surface area can produce more hho than lesser area, with less amperage, however, 2.3 liter is not going to require alot to see results. Worse case, you run a 6x6 , based on sid's #'s 11 6x6 plates will produce 1 lpm at 20 amps. When I had my truck, I built my 28 plate system off his design and the #'s were pretty accurate. The math is pretty easy, 16 sq inches or 36 sq inches. More than double.

while there is space in the area you mention, that is an area that gets FRIGHTFULLY hot because of the turbo over there. do you have the LPT motor or the HPT motor? maybe the LPT moter(low pres. turbo) doesn't get as hot. in my car ( hpt) the firewall is covered with heat shield over there, and the turbo has a double heat shield. after i'd been hard on the gas (last year-i was checking my 0-60) i opened the hood and it felt like i could have lit a cigarrete off the heat shield.(i dont smoke lol) i cant imagine such heat is ok for a hho unit. is it? i'm gonne check in front of the radiator right below the horn(s) if there's room there.
05-19-2009 06:50 PM
Zipstor Offline

The best spot to mount a dry cell is probably just in front of the radiator, like on dodgeviper's setup, since you dont have to access the cell for refills, the tank being somewhere under the hood.

The Smack gen IV is a 6x6 and it seems to have a good output. Get the plans from http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/ you can extend it to a quad unit 32 plates and more.

In the end of the day, if you are using your own design, 6x6 or 4x4 does not really matter as long as the overall plate surface is large enough to produce the amount of gas you need. A 4x4 setup will need more plates that's all...

>> http://brownsgas.com
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2009 08:25 PM by Zipstor.)
05-19-2009 08:22 PM
tonyc860 Offline

(05-19-2009 06:50 PM)fixityourselfer Wrote:  
(05-19-2009 02:06 PM)tonyc860 Wrote:  

I have lpt, I had my past units in front of the radiator. Great place if you have access, but I think you will have to modify the plastic shrouds to allow access. Also, need to be certain your unit is tight. Any leaks and bye bye radiator as koh loves aluminum. Happened to me on my truck. I am sure the volvo radiator is a little more than the ford.

while there is space in the area you mention, that is an area that gets FRIGHTFULLY hot because of the turbo over there. do you have the LPT motor or the HPT motor? maybe the LPT moter(low pres. turbo) doesn't get as hot. in my car ( hpt) the firewall is covered with heat shield over there, and the turbo has a double heat shield. after i'd been hard on the gas (last year-i was checking my 0-60) i opened the hood and it felt like i could have lit a cigarrete off the heat shield.(i dont smoke lol) i cant imagine such heat is ok for a hho unit. is it? i'm gonne check in front of the radiator right below the horn(s) if there's room there.

sorry for the mixup on my last post. hope you understand it.

Tony
2003 Volvo v70 2.5L turbo
2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L v6
2005 F150 4.6 ltr-No longer Thank God!Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2009 12:42 PM by tonyc860.)
05-20-2009 12:41 PM
hydroxmobile Offline

Hi there, try 6X6 +nnnn- 13A 12V.
You should be getting at least 1L/MinCool

05-21-2009 09:05 PM