Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
piggy backing HHO cells
Rags Offline

Big Grin piggy backing HHO cells
I have a question regarding HHO Cells, presently I have a 7 panel HHO cell installed on my car. I have enough room that I could put two 7 panel cells in my generator but not one with 14 panels. My question is, good idea or bad idea??

I put them in my testing generator to get some idea on how much amps it would draw. With the formula of 2.5 tsp lye and 2.5 tsp soda to a gallon of water the two was drawing 10 amps of power via my battery charger. I have found that the amp guage I have mounted in my car reads lower than the battery charger with the same formula. Not sure which one to believe.
Rags
04-10-2008 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: piggy backing HHO cells
It's a good idea if it increases your mileage, and bad otherwise. If you already have the cell in hand, then testing is the only definitive answer. If you're deciding whether to buy another cell, I'm afraid I don't know the answer for that.

Re ammeters: They could both be right. The charger probably has a higher voltage, which would cause more amps. The additional amperage should be proportional to this difference in voltage.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-10-2008 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

I already have the cell made up, but thought it might create more heat, I suppose this could be regulated by the amount of electrolyte used.

I really don't know about the amp meter, possible could be some difference being one runs of AC and the car is DC even thought the AC is converted to DC. Oh well no big deal.
Rags
04-11-2008 12:15 PM
mike Offline

You could connect them in serial. This will cause the voltage on each cell to decrease by half, and should help with heat. You may have to add electrolyte with this set up.

It sounds like you're planning to hook them up in parallel.

Regardless, please let us know the results you get.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-11-2008 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

I'd like to find a cheap, low-loss current limiter to keep the max below a set-point. Anything I've seen similar costs around $300.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-11-2008 01:25 PM
Rags Offline

mike Wrote:You could connect them in serial. This will cause the voltage on each cell to decrease by half, and should help with heat. You may have to add electrolyte with this set up.

It sounds like you're planning to hook them up in parallel.

Regardless, please let us know the results you get.
The way I was going to hook them up is to run a contact from the + to + and - to -, is this parallel? How do I hook them up in serial? That sounds like the way to go.
Rags
04-11-2008 02:48 PM
Rags Offline

colchiro Wrote:I'd like to find a cheap, low-loss current limiter to keep the max below a set-point. Anything I've seen similar costs around $300.

Is there anything like that on ebay?
04-11-2008 02:52 PM
colchiro Offline

Rags Wrote:Is there anything like that on ebay?

This one outputs 4 volts. eBay link

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
04-11-2008 03:13 PM
Fatman1 Offline

Did you understand serial and parallel Rags? + - + - serial
300 to get a 4 volt system? Not sure what kind of generator you are running but think it would be lot cheaper to just run 3 small smacks in a serial hook up.
Just my 2 centsSmile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2008 04:23 PM by Fatman1.)
05-29-2008 03:57 PM
Rags Offline

Fatman1
What I did was, make 2 cells one with 7 plates +++n--- and one with 5 plates ++n--. I hooked these serial ie: (a + line), (- line run to the + contact of the next cell), (- line for ground), (+ then) (-to+) (then - for ground). I then put 1 tsp KOH in 48 oz of water. At 7 amps the water looked like it was on a stove and boiling it was working that well. I only ran it for a short time as I had to go to work, I am going to run it again today and see how it does for heat. I wil then put it in my generator that is mounted in my car. I didn't try + - + - setup. I am using switch cover plates from Lowe's. Have thought about making the Smack Booster, but haven't been able to find the tubing around this town. What I have seen on the net costs to much.

I have been at this since Feb 08 and still have not seen any increase in MPG. I have altered both 02 sensors, forward and aft of the cat convt. I didn't do any mpg tests prior to the altering of the 02 sensors so don't really know what mpg's I was getting before doing so. My car is rated 24 city and 32 highway. If that is what I was getting then I would have an increase because I am getting 27/28 city and 39/40 highway presently.

Guess I have rambled on long enough, and got a little off the subject.
Rags
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2008 05:29 AM by Rags.)
05-30-2008 05:27 AM