Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
possible oxygen sensor code?
alscrimp Offline

Sad possible oxygen sensor code?
Great site!! I have a 2006 Aveo with the 1.6L 4-cyl engine. I have one of your EFIEs installed to the pre-catalyst oxygen sensor. My problem is the vehicle throws a 2297 code everytime I reset the EFIE. It does not matter how little or how far I tweek it. What is the meaning of this code? I have a factory service manual for this car and that number is not found in it. I'm assuming it is for the oxygen sensor cicuit. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.
08-18-2009 05:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: possible oxygen sensor code?
The following is from Alldata:

Quote:DTC DESCRIPTORS

DTC P1138
HO2S Circuit High Voltage During Decel Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) Sensor 1

DTC P2297
HO2S Circuit High Voltage During Decel Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) Sensor 2

Thus it appears that you have an EFIE installed on your downstream sensor and have it turned up too high. Regardless, this code is for sensor 2, which is the downstream sensor. Did you do something to that wiring?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-18-2009 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alscrimp Offline

(08-18-2009 08:18 AM)mike Wrote:  The following is from Alldata:

DTC P1138

DTC P2297

Thus it appears that you have an EFIE installed on your downstream sensor and have it turned up too high. Regardless, this code is for sensor 2, which is the downstream sensor. Did you do something to that wiring?

I wired up the EFIE on only the upstream (pre-catalyst) oxygen sensor, not the downstream. I also this morning received a P0133 code which is a slow response on sensor 1.
(08-18-2009 08:18 AM)mike Wrote:  The following is from Alldata:

DTC P1138

DTC P2297

According to the latest GM code explanation, P2297 is O2 Sensor Out of Range During Deceleration Bank1 Sensor 1, not sensor 2 like Alldata says.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2009 05:50 AM by alscrimp.)
08-19-2009 05:32 AM
mike Offline

OK. Ya, Alldata isn't infallible. I'm glad you got the straight dope from GM.

What kind of EFIE are you using? Digital or Analog? Also, I don't know what you mean by "resetting" the EFIE in your first post. Do you mean changing its setting to a different value?

And, last question: Are you sure you're on the correct wire? Did you test it with your volt meter before installing the EFIE on it? If not, you can test it by turning off the EFIE, and measuring from either of the test ports to ground. You should see .2 to .85 volts or so, constantly changing. If you see that, then you know you're on the right wire.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-19-2009 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alscrimp Offline

(08-19-2009 07:41 AM)mike Wrote:  OK. Ya, Alldata isn't infallible. I'm glad you got the straight dope from GM.

What kind of EFIE are you using? Digital or Analog? Also, I don't know what you mean by "resetting" the EFIE in your first post. Do you mean changing its setting to a different value?

And, last question: Are you sure you're on the correct wire? Did you test it with your volt meter before installing the EFIE on it? If not, you can test it by turning off the EFIE, and measuring from either of the test ports to ground. You should see .2 to .85 volts or so, constantly changing. If you see that, then you know you're on the right wire.

I am using the analog EFIE (maybe wrong one?) Yes, I did check to make sure I'm using the signal wire and I got the correct toggle reading. I also looked at a wiring diagram for this vehicle. And yes, I mean changing the setting from a high setting to a low setting. Nothing seems to work.
08-19-2009 10:24 AM
mike Offline

OK. That all sounds good.

If you are getting codes when the EFIE is set low (like .100 volts), then we need to suspect that your sensors are shot. How many miles on your oxygen sensors? Were they ever used with leaded gas? Leaded gas makes them go bad in very short order.

I'm not saying this is what it is. Its just something that has to be confronted and checked out.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-19-2009 10:51 AM
alscrimp Offline

(08-19-2009 10:51 AM)mike Wrote:  OK. That all sounds good.

If you are getting codes when the EFIE is set low (like .100 volts), then we need to suspect that your sensors are shot. How many miles on your oxygen sensors? Were they ever used with leaded gas? Leaded gas makes them go bad in very short order.

I'm not saying this is what it is. Its just something that has to be confronted and checked out.

I cannot get leaded fuel here in Michigan, so that has been ruled out. I reset the EFIE at .98 volts and am currently testing now. I will let you know when I get home tonight. Thanks for all your help.
08-20-2009 02:03 AM
mike Offline

I'm pretty sure you mean .098 volts. Or, basically, .100 volt (100 mV).

Can you tell me what you had it set for when you were getting codes? I never heard that voltage. But .100 should work. Then you can raise it .050 volt at a time until you start getting codes again, then back it off. It sounds like you're going to want to use the maximum voltage you can without setting codes.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-20-2009 09:01 AM
alscrimp Offline

(08-20-2009 09:01 AM)mike Wrote:  I'm pretty sure you mean .098 volts. Or, basically, .100 volt (100 mV).

Can you tell me what you had it set for when you were getting codes? I never heard that voltage. But .100 should work. Then you can raise it .050 volt at a time until you start getting codes again, then back it off. It sounds like you're going to want to use the maximum voltage you can without setting codes.

I had it set to .150 volt when it set the code. I tried to back off gradually but it kept setting the P2297 and P0133 codes. Then I turned off the unit and disconnected the W4G electrolyzer. Ran the car without any help. Then reconnected everything and reset the EFIE to .100 volt. Guess what? No more codes outputted. I guess just resetting everything worked. I now will take your advice to SLOWLY readjust the EFIE until I get the codes to return and toggle the settin from there. Thanks for all your help!!!
08-21-2009 04:37 AM
mike Offline

You're welcome.

But I don't think you're completely out of the woods yet. To be setting codes at .15 tells me something is still fishy, and you won't be getting all the gains you should. You should probably check out the HHO System Debug Checklist to be sure you're getting all the gains you should be. I wouldn't settle for less than 30% above your baseline mileage.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-21-2009 08:12 AM