Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
potassium hydroxide
Wilsid Offline

potassium hydroxide
I got my koh today 500 g for $8.78 about a pd. How is a good
way to measure this stuff, flakes. I read the msds sheet on
cas# 1310-58-3 it says it's 100 %, most of the stuff on ebay
is 90 %. What is a good mix to start with?
THANKS
11-11-2008 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Roadwarrior Offline

RE: potassium hydroxide
Try six teaspoons to 1 litre of distilled water and than watch you ampmeter, above 15 amps cold will most likely end up at 25 to 30 amps hot. 15 amps is a good operating range. Also you shold do a displacement test by filling a two litre bottle with water and immersing it in a 5gal bucket filled with water. place a hose from your booster while operating and precisely time the amount of time it takes the hydroxy to displace the water. Empty the bottle in one minute and you are producing 1 ltr per min if it takes two minutes empty your cell add one more teaspoon of koh and repeat until you are happy with results. Remember if you drive like I do 400 to 600 miles a day 1.5 to 2 litres is good and 15 to 20 amps is great. Operating above 20 amps creates more heat more water vapor so error on the side of less.
11-11-2008 02:31 PM
bartolo Offline

Wilsid Wrote:I got my koh today 500 g for $8.78 about a pd. How is a good
way to measure this stuff, flakes. I read the msds sheet on
cas# 1310-58-3 it says it's 100 %, most of the stuff on ebay
is 90 %. What is a good mix to start with?
THANKS

Got rid of the KOH I had and reverted to Sodium Hydroxide. KOH is not good if you have an aluminum block engine.

Bart
St. Pete,Fl.
11-15-2008 02:08 PM
benny Offline

bartolo Wrote:Got rid of the KOH I had and reverted to Sodium Hydroxide. KOH is not good if you have an aluminum block engine.

Bart
St. Pete,Fl.

Doubt whether your cylinder liners, valve seats, and valves would be in any way affected by KOH. Pistons should not be affected either, unless you have a massive draw of KOH solution into the engine and engine is left standing with this in the cylinders. .
11-15-2008 02:24 PM
bartolo Offline

benny Wrote:
bartolo Wrote:Got rid of the KOH I had and reverted to Sodium Hydroxide. KOH is not good if you have an aluminum block engine.

Bart
St. Pete,Fl.

Doubt whether your cylinder liners, valve seats, and valves would be in any way affected by KOH. Pistons should not be affected either, unless you have a massive draw of KOH solution into the engine and engine is left standing with this in the cylinders. .

Just passing info provided to me by the Water4Gas guys at the expo in Palmetto, Florida.
Someone gives me good advice....I take it. Good luck to you.

Bart Smile
11-15-2008 02:37 PM
hydrotinkerer Offline

bartolo Wrote:
benny Wrote:

Bart
St. Pete,Fl.

Just passing info provided to me by the Water4Gas guys at the expo in Palmetto, Florida.
Someone gives me good advice....I take it. Good luck to you.

Bart Smile

Thats funny they must have been selling sodium hydroxide. Koh and Naoh, neither one are friends with aluminum. They both inhibit aluminum from forming oxidation. I just changed to Koh because it takes so much less of a concentration in water to do the same amount of work. You can also fill your last bubbler with vinegar to neutralize any electrolite suspended in the gas before it gets to the ice.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2008 06:31 PM by hydrotinkerer.)
11-15-2008 06:30 PM
howiemandel Offline

water4gas, good advice, in the same sentence? Odd.
11-15-2008 06:35 PM
CAG Offline

[quote=hydrotinkerer]
I just changed to Koh because it takes so much less of a concentration in water to do the same amount of work.
[quote]

Just a question. Maybe I'm not understanding. Roadwarrior suggested a baseline test at 6 tsp. Koh per litre? I'm currently using 1/2 tsp. Naoh per 2 litre. cold amp draw is 13.5 , 28 amps. after 2 hours. Seems to me you need a far lower concentration of Naoh than with Koh. I'm not partial to either, Naoh was just easier to obtain.

CAG
IL

Remember, once you let the smoke out of the wires, you can't ever get it back in !
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2008 10:32 PM by CAG.)
11-15-2008 10:31 PM
thomasbala Offline

[quote=CAG]
[quote=hydrotinkerer]
I just changed to Koh because it takes so much less of a concentration in water to do the same amount of work.
[quote]

The more efficient your cell, the less KOH, NaOH, Acedic acid, Citric acid, etc you will need. All these chemicals do is assist "ionization', the splitting of water into O2 and H2. H2SO4 (sulphuric acid) has been the chemistry book staple forever. Strange no one uses it in practicality. Also strange, no one is experimenting with "resonance". Those of you so inclined to imagine resonance shaking off HHO bubbles from the plates in your generator may want to look up old issues (now on the internet) of these, mags, Scientific American, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, [it's in one of them] for the Einstein-Schilard experiments (they made refrigeration from sound waves) conducted before the Nazis gave them the boot. Theoretically, we should be able to find the right combo of electrode material, electrolyte, volts, amps, ohms, etc so when you step on the gas you get boucoup HHO and at idle just enough to keep your mid to high rpm gains.

These low gas prices won't last. Use this hiatus to learn to maximize HHO utilization and beat "big oil".
11-15-2008 11:26 PM
hydrotinkerer Offline

CAG Wrote:[quote=hydrotinkerer]
[quote]

Just a question. Maybe I'm not understanding. Roadwarrior suggested a baseline test at 6 tsp. Koh per litre? I'm currently using 1/2 tsp. Naoh per 2 litre. cold amp draw is 13.5 , 28 amps. after 2 hours. Seems to me you need a far lower concentration of Naoh than with Koh. I'm not partial to either, Naoh was just easier to obtain.

CAG
IL

Well in my 10.5x7.5 dry cell it took 3tsp per 1.5gal. of water to make a draw of 12.45amps. The Naoh I was using would take closer to 1 cup to do the same. I see some guys measure Koh by how many "flakes" it took. My first time to use Koh I mixed way to hot and had to dilute it down. Always use an ammeter and adjust your electrolite so you don't over do it.
11-16-2008 06:18 PM